Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Transmitter / Reciever Upgrade...Help Needed...2.4GHz - Best Range for the Buck?

I have viewed all responses but I think the original poster has to grow up!!!

Douggie

Electropilot:

Yeah, you're right. I admittedly got trigger happy after getting on hobbypartz.com (does not carry the C version) and reading the 2 million positive reviews. I'll check to see how liberal their cancelation/return policy is, or just keep it as a backup.

Yesterday I wasn't able to get your previously posted link to hook up but found it working this morning...Thanks!
    Last edited by c_michael_72; 06-29-2012 at 07:30 AM.

Dear "Douggie":

Words can't begin to describe how little I'm concerned with your OFF TOPIC advice. Waste your time somewhere else if you must. Hopefully you can find something productive to do and have a wonderful day!!!
    Last edited by c_michael_72; 06-29-2012 at 07:24 AM.

C_michael_72
    I could not resist messaging on this topic to to you! I'm normally a church mouse and avoid conflict. My Wife says I'm a lover not a fighter.
    I read all of your posts last evening ALSO and did not see one thing that I thought was inappropriate or wrong. I certainly understand the importance of all of us doing our job to maintain a good image. However, As far as the tree hugger & greenie concerns go...let them pound sand and listen to . There is a time and place for when these Canadian geese MUST be dealt with. If you have everyone on your side at your lake (including the Parks Office folks), and they are all having the same issue with these hissing, messy bombers, than there should be no issue with the measures your taking to get them to move along. Period
    My last comment- Perhaps some of the tree huggers should take a peek at videos online to see how the major airports deal with the geese and various other bird issues.
    I'm guessing they feel the alternative to not doing something is a bit worse. Just my humble opinion.
    Keep keepin it real
    Peace
    They call me DOUBLE D

Did you read that they get that range by emitting enough signal to give you a sunburn? Kidding. I have a friend that has one of these and is completely happy with it. I run Spektrum's others run Futaba's competition and choice is what it is all about.

By the way, I have no love for those geese. Not saying I chase them, but we have a small flock that someone in the neighborhood thought would be "cute" to have as pets. They moved, the geese stayed and they are aggresive, territorial, crap everywhere and multiply quickly if you don't step on the eggs. They will chase and attack just about anything that comes near them including kids. I equate them to having a pack of 15lbs wild dogs in your neighborhood. They are NOT cute little birds for sure.
    Last edited by electric; 06-29-2012 at 10:53 AM.

Derrick,

I truly appreciate your response and clearly agree with you. I feel it justifies me being a bit hypocritical and responding "off topic".

As a common sense rule, I always try be highly educated about ANY specific topic prior to speaking in a public venue. If for some uncommon reason, I chose to "bash" someone in a public forum, I would most certainly know the facts. I learned last evening that's not always the case in here. No worries though...I got some great information and am happy to utilize the good advice and ignore or be entertained by the off topic, uneducated attempts at bashing.

As for me personally, I'm a nature and animal lover to the max. When I first started researching Canadian Geese abatement years ago, I was sickened by the number of localities that mandate gassing and or killing hundreds of geese annually for a myriad of public safety reasons. It's kind of funny as Canadian Geese are generally very anxious about settling in a new location. That said, 95% of the time all I have to do is walk down to the lake's edge, drop my boat in, rev it up once or twice and bam, no more geese. Those who consider that irresponsible, inhumane or "douchbaggery" are likely not worth my time. Lessen learned.

Thanks again!

I did have a great day and if you want some advice, I do not waste my time....look in the mirror laddie.

Douggie

Quote Originally Posted by c_michael_72 View Post
    Dear "Douggie":

Words can't begin to describe how little I'm concerned with your OFF TOPIC advice. Waste your time somewhere else if you must. Hopefully you can find something productive to do and have a wonderful day!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Scotsman View Post
    I did have a great day and if you want some advice, I do not waste my time....look in the mirror laddie.

Douggie

Micheal, glad you got the info you're looking for -)

Thanks Dana...hopefully we are done with this post!

As far as range goes on a transmitter be carfull with the 2 mile rage claims. Those are based on using it in an airplane were the signial is going up to the bird. In the surface world we are limited by the curvature of the earth in the old days of FM even PCM that could be as little as an 1/8th of a mile. 2.4 does a little better at folowing the curve but I would not trust it much further then that unless you are elevated above the surface on a drivers stand or bank.

Yes, I agree. There are other things to discuss in here such as, running the antenna outside the hull. If you don't, range performance drastically changes. Throttle channel needs to be set to reverse like many other radios do. As said before, failsafe must be properly set up, unless you want to risk losing your boat. Follow the instructions and you'll be happy. Most people that complain about radios haven't followed instructions. They're there for a reason -)

Cool

...Those are based on using it in an airplane were the signial is going up to the bird.
    If you actually read the thread you'll see that the 2-mile claim was not made with a flying airplane - it's a boating site and the transmitter is a wheel transmitter (ever tried to fly with one?). Too, in post #269 you'll see the boater stopped at one mile with the receiver antenna inside the boat's radio box. But then, one can say anything on the Internet.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    Yes, I agree. There are other things to discuss in here such as, running the antenna outside the hull. If you don't, range performance drastically changes. Throttle channel needs to be set to reverse like many other radios do. As said before, failsafe must be properly set up, unless you want to risk losing your boat. Follow the instructions and you'll be happy. Most people that complain about radios haven't followed instructions. They're there for a reason -)
    Great advice Dana!

And you are very welcome c_michael_72. Anytime bud!
    Thank you much!

Hydropilot

Well you got me there, I did not link to the boat dock thread to look at the range claim, most manufactures use the range that they get from their air systems for their surface as well. Distorting what you can actually expect. And thanks for explaining the difference between a stick radio and wheeled radio. BTW have you noticed how many people especially sport boats use a stick radio or even the radio that they use to fly planes with?

Quote Originally Posted by jwray View Post
    Well you got me there, I did not link to the boat dock thread to look at the range claim, most manufactures use the range that they get from their air systems for their surface as well. Distorting what you can actually expect. And thanks for explaining the difference between a stick radio and wheeled radio. BTW have you noticed how many people especially sport boats use a stick radio or even the radio that they use to fly planes with?
    Oh sure people use two stick rads. The cheapies boats like walmart etc. tons of rtr have them, which still work but they dont do 40-60mph across the pond

Or simply if you have one on the shelve gathering dust. But the ones who put these dual stick cheapies in a fast boat are asking for disaster

hehe. Wow great thread so far. Info is the building blocks of learning. Just the correct info is what is key.
    Thank you much!

Hydropilot

I was not aware that a futaba 9c was a cheapy radio, and I have seen that radio get used in boats. It had a three mile range for airplanes but I would not trust that on the surface.

I do not want to stir the pot and agree that good information is the goal. With that being said in my view I dont care what radio you have or how much it cost or how well it was set up I would not count on anything better then a quarter mile but it is a moot point besuse it would take a pretty big boat to see it that far anyway. And we wont even bring up running something over, I know I have done that several times with the boat right in front of me.

Default Oh boy

Quote Originally Posted by jwray View Post
    I was not aware that a futaba 9c was a cheapy radio, and I have seen that radio get used in boats. It had a three mile range for airplanes but I would not trust that on the surface.

I do not want to stir the pot and agree that good information is the goal. With that being said in my view I dont care what radio you have or how much it cost or how well it was set up I would not count on anything better then a quarter mile but it is a moot point besuse it would take a pretty big boat to see it that far anyway. And we wont even bring up running something over, I know I have done that several times with the boat right in front of me.
    Eh'hem,,,, read again

The cheapies boats like walmart etc. tons of rtr have them

No where did Futaba get mentioned. Futaba is a great radio. All you did was rephrase my info of it is dangerous to put a cheapie rtr 2 stick HongWongFang brand radio in a fast boat HAHA!
    Thank you much!

Hydropilot

Quote Originally Posted by c_michael_72 View Post
    Well, I am pissed off with you... how many boats do you run? and yes I use a Spektrum Marine System.

Douggie
    Last edited by Flying Scotsman; 06-29-2012 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Scotsman View Post
    Well, I am pissed of with you... how many boats do you run and yes I run a Spektrum Marine System.

Douggie
    UhOh!

Thank you much!

Hydropilot

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12