Thread: NW Oregon/SW Washington boaters...

Default NW Oregon/SW Washington boaters...

I know you're out there - some of us have gotten together in the past. I remember meeting a few experienced racers at get-togethers at Murrayhill Pond and Westmoreland. Several of us were members over on RRR back in it's prime. I'm in Oregon City, have quick and easy access to Westmoreland, as well as what is one of the best model boat "lakes" in the area (next to the OC Shopping Center). I'd really like to get something going for both sport boaters and racers - primarily test and tunes, hanging out running fast boats and sharing info, and maybe find a few more people that might want to head out to race with the Rose City Model Yacht Club, as I've heard they have a spec UL1 class, as well as a 1/10th scale hydro class. I don't have anything fancy at the moment - just a UL1, Revolt 30, and a Shockwave 26 brushless (bought it for the kids, more or less), but would love to build some custom boats as the local scene grows. The quarry next to the OC shopping center is probably the best place to run - it's big, smooth, has a decent amount of shoreline - you can run gas and nitro of you want. I think there are a couple of picnic tables, too. Westmoreland is great for exposure to the public - people are always commenting and asking questions.
    Let me know if any of you are interested. I can usually find time to run in the evenings and weekends.
    Last edited by Boostleak; 07-11-2012 at 01:54 PM.

Wow. Apparently this place is teaming with NW boaters... :/ Anyone here associated with the Rose City Model Yacht Club? Two emails have now gone unanswered within the last month. There are three or for potential members that would like to come out and play.

Not much I can do at Westmoreland, the boats I'm running are too fast to safely run there. I belong to the flying club out at OMAS and do most of my testing out there on the lake, but it's a private club open to members and guests (Rose City has run a few races there in cooperation with the OMAS flying club). Racing wise, I run NAMBA district 8 races (2 electric classes plus nitro and gas) and also down at Eugene for the ERCB club races.
    Brian "Snowman" Buaas
    Team Castle Creations
    NAMBA FE Chairman

i dont understand any of those fancy abriviations but im from newport OR, anyone else from around these parts?

OMAS is a flying club located in Banks that has a nice lake for boats and float planes.
    ERCB is the model boat club down in Eugene, OR.
    NAMBA District 8 covers OR, WA, ID, MT (www.namba8.com)

From Newport, your best bet is the drive to Eugene for racing. A lot depends on what you want to run. We have a district race on 7/21-7/22 at Eugene if you were interested in coming out and meeting the local crazies.
    Brian "Snowman" Buaas
    Team Castle Creations
    NAMBA FE Chairman

Thanks for the input, Brian. Rose City is running 1/10 scale hydro and UL1, correct? Judging by the pictures, they run both classes out at Westmoreland. There should be at least a few people that get together to run out there for practice. At any rate, I'm not interested in chasing world records and burning up equipment. I've run 6O mph boats in the casting pond - that was about the top end of what I'd consider running there. It's a great place to run most 30-50 mph rtr's, so long as you're able to keep away from the concrete sides. Does Rose City try to maintain membership exclusivity? Just seems like they're trying to keep the club a secret. Bumped in to a guy at the hobby shop today that had the same question after his emails went unanswered. If this is the case, I'll take a more serious whack at starting my own thing.

Not sure why you have not gotten a response back from Rose City Club it is definitely not exclusive.
    We do run 1/10 scale vintage and modern boats.
    Also the UL1 & Proboat Stock class.

The next race is on the 22nd not sure if it will be at Westmoreland or OMAS but it will be 1 of the 2.
    Who are you emailing sure you are looking at the correct site and not the old 1?

Here is the link to the current site.
    http://rosecitymodelyacht.info/index.php
    OSE GIFTING ELF
    HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

Last person I emailed was Brad Lewis, which was Tuesday morning. Off the same site you linked above.

Quote Originally Posted by raptor347 View Post
    We have a district race on 7/21-7/22 at Eugene if you were interested in coming out and meeting the local crazies.
    You'll have one non-local crazy out there in Eugene on the 21st as well...
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Quote Originally Posted by Boostleak View Post
    Last person I emailed was Brad Lewis, which was Tuesday morning. Off the same site you linked above.

I know Brad has been busy with some non boating things.

I would suggest you email John Howell.

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    You'll have one non-local crazy out there in Eugene on the 21st as well...
    Wish I could make it out to this 1 guys but will have family in town and might go to the Rose City Race depending on things go.
    I am sure it will be some good racing and wish I could make it!!!
    OSE GIFTING ELF
    HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

Meh... Waited almost an entire summer to hear back from someone with Rose City, I'm absolutely convinced they're not interested in new membership at this point. Four emails to three different club officers, no response.

Sorry to hear that again not sure what the deal is there.
    I will message you the info for Eugene club and hopefully you get a response from them.
    OSE GIFTING ELF
    HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

Im not in any boat club but am close in beaverton and run all the time. looking also for more places and meet new people and would love to put a new club together

Let me know when you head out next, I'll do my best to bring a boat or two. I may try to head out to Westmorland this Sunday to shake some bugs out of my UL1.

Come on out the more boats th better!
    OSE GIFTING ELF
    HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

Still here - I think I've run my boats once since the last time I posted in this thread. Any new boaters in the area? I'm going to start running at least one night a week down near the Sheriff's boat launch on the north side of the Oregon City Shopping center, if anyone is interested. I'll bring along a kayak for retrieval (something I could have used many times in the past).

Anyone in Oregon run boats? I?m in bend but am over in the valley and coast often. I?m tired of running alone all the time and Would make a trip if it meant seeing how my Geico 36 holds up to other boats. Also have a 29v3.. kinda. Not recognizable as one anymore and it works well. The 36 though handling is better in the chop.

Let me know please if I can meet up with y?all at a meetup. Thank you.

Emerald RC boat club in Eugene. FE, gas occasional nitro.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/661790713871911
    Brian "Snowman" Buaas
    Team Castle Creations
    NAMBA FE Chairman

crazy how old alot of these posts are. Im near Olympia WA, still new to boating and have become addicted but lack the knowledge in mods ect. I have now 8 boats and have managed to disable all but one of them and still having issues with keeping the esc cool on it. I would love to meet fellow boaters and work together, i have 2 lakes within spitting distance of my place that work well for RTR elect and i would go run daily if i had someone to go with. It gets old solo and when i have issues with my boat doing mods a forum is sometimes a difficult way to fix unless your knowledge base is better. i think any vetrans can relate back when they lacked the knowlege they now have.