Thread: Should I worry about water proofing a turnigy 180 ESC?

Default Should I worry about water proofing a turnigy 180 ESC?

My friend Jim Marcum says he uses shrink wrap and shoe goo to seal the ends for a nearly water proof setup. I am concerned about trapping heat inside the shrink wrap. Any ideas? I have seen advertizments about some aerosol sealent spray that supposedly makes the whole esc capable of being dunked without problems. Over kill? Should I bother at all or do what?

Dave

CorrosionX?

I finally bought a can and I use it on all my electrics that are exposed. ESC's, receivers, battery buzzers, BEC's, etc. I havent used it on any motors yet. A bit uneasy about spraying something into the motor thats not cleaner or oil...

I figure for $7 its cheap insurance just in case.

I like corrosion X. I get it from Academy Sports but it is not for water proofing it is for protecting from rust and corrosion right?

I have to look around for a video I think I saw on the CC Racing Web site. They spray some kind of aerosol on a bare exposed radio reciever circuit board and then drop it inside a glass of water and operate the radio and servo while it is sunk in a glass of water. Anyone try that on a ESC?

Dave

i saw where a guy used liquid tape on a receiver to water proof it

There are 2 types of corrosion x. The regular one is like wd40 and is usually used to treat motors that get wet a lot ( like tunnel OPC). There is a thicker corrosion x hd that I hear can be used for waterproofing.

I use the thin x for my motors to ward off rust, and I use spray-on electrical tape for escs. I hear conformal epoxy works well too- but I have not used that.

Chief

Any of the measures mentioned above can help but the bottom line is if a speed controller has been dunked, it needs to be sprayed down with Corrosion X, WD40 or alcohol and dried out for a few days. Dont even try to use it. I have on several occasions (including with a T180) and ended up with a burnt nasty mess in my boat.

I use Corrosion X, I have seen someware not to use the heavy duty one as it can affect some plastics but have no personal experience re that. Ive just got hold of some Graupner Wet Protect spray that ive herd is very good stuff as Graupner had this developed ecspecially for these purposes,only in a small can & quite expensive. Protect against moisture & humidity related short circuits malfunction & corrosion. Functions even in case of flooding, well see if their claims are good.

Anyone know the binding program for a turnagy? Bought some used 180 s, I have a sea king card and read it would work on the turnagy ,but need to bind it ,

There is a video on tube about water proofing electronics and its a guy using corrosion X,made me a believer and I use it ,