Thread: ESC Question

Default ESC Question

The ESC question relates to my sons Impulse 26..... I have several 2s 45c lipo's on the way.... my question is,,

Will the stock 30a ESC be able to handle a sigle lipo battery as mentioned above?
    Also, I am wondering if the stock ESC can be programed for a lipo battery as I also have the Pro Boat programming module.

If it isnt I guess I can go with the external VLC.

Thanks in advance for any and all info or suggestions.

I recently picked up one of these boats. Complete new guy at boats, even though I've been doing other RC things for 5 years.

The stock ESC does not have lipo cutoff. I've been using a single 2s lipo on mine without any trouble. It comes out of the water around 120* F after a battery pack.

I do not use a lipo cutoff, since I can feel the voltage drop. I would suggest buying a small lipo buzzer, just in case the cutoff shuts off while you are driving.

Just like Slash says, (and welcome slash to the forum!),

The stock recommended packs are 8.4 volt. So a 2s lipo is the same 2*4.2V=8.4V (total)

And as Slash says, you can get Lipo cutt-off modules http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...shld-32&cat=74 to take care of it or time you runs.

If you time runs (I would not recommend for younder kids without CLOSE supervision) you need to get familiar with the lipo's capacity. Leave about 20-25% of the total capacity after each run. And do not wait till the boat just dies off in power, cause that is too late and will kill the cells.

I don't know how familiar you are with lipos, but if you are not, read up on them... they have some precautions you need to be aware of like over charging, over discharging, etc.

Read through the Battery and charger section well to boot. My nephew has a Imp26 and loves it. But he is not the carefull type, so he is on NIMH for his own good (for now)

Sean