Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chargers??????? What are you guys using?

Default Chargers??????? What are you guys using?

What chargers are you using? I'm looking to upgrade my charger looking for something with dual ports and 200W each port. Have my eye on this one...Hitec Ultima X2 Dual Port Charger ...http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAYVD&P=7
    Anyone using this charger? Anyone have any suggestions on a good dual port 200Wx2 charger?

I have others, but I mainly use this one nowFusion-Emperor-Pro/ and love it, it does everything I need up to 7s and will deliver plenty of amps for me, but I wish it would do 8s as one pack too, I have to use both ports to charge a pair of 4s packs now whereas a single 8s pack is the better solution being lighter and with lower resistance and inductance, my now unused hyperion 1210 can only cope with 6s though so no change there, I'm thinking of getting a cellpro powerlab8 for 8s packs but that is a single port charger so does not fit your remit.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

The most popular charger in my club is the AstroFlight 109, we must have twenty of them. No bells or whistles but it is very simple to use. Simply plug in the pack (up to 9S), turn the knob to the charge rate in amps you want, and walk away. It also discharges. I got mine used, they've work perfectly for years. I also have four Hyperions, but they do no better than the AstroFlight yet are more complicated to use and won't do 9S.

http://www.astroflight.com/index.php...sej4qi4rs6i6u3

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

I like their little balancer. This balancer is tricky to use with Hyperion balanc plug, so read instructions well. Small balancer leads will need to be swapped around without changing Hyperion connector.
    http://www.astroflight.com/index.php...products_id=20
    Last edited by detox; 06-14-2012 at 12:39 PM.

Jay, I just had to order one of these. Do you ever charge two 4s packs in series (8s1p)? How long does it take to charge?

Right now I have a Hyp 720i balance charger, two parallel balance boards and a 47A charger from Feathermerchant....

Can easily charge all my lipos a one time.... with one batch all 2s and one batch of 3s packs. (two port charger) Little pricy, but the time savings has been well worth it.

If my fleet gets any bigger, I will have to go to 24V (two 47A chargers) But not quite yet.

I also have a equinox balancer and a Triton jr running off a home made power supply, but the 5 amps max doesn't get you far. I use it for my lipo sailplane packs....

Sean

Cool

Do you ever charge two 4s packs in series (8s1p)?
    I regularly charge two 3S packs in series, I can charge them at over 8 amps but only charge them at 1C or 6.5 amps. The time it takes depends on the amount of charge left. I charge through the main leads, not the balance taps. I don't think anyone in my club charges through the balance taps - toatally unnecessary with decent packs which remain in balance unles you want to charge at over 1C (which can reduce pack life). I do slip on a balancer at least once a day of running but seldom is it needed.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

I decided to try out the Hitec X2 Ultima 400W dual port charger. picked it up from ebay like NIP for 125.00 I'll et you guys know what I think of it after some testing time

i use cell-pro charger can charge 2 6s packs at once in 40 minutes with car battery very nice charger.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbenjamin77 View Post
    I decided to try out the Hitec X2 Ultima 400W dual port charger. picked it up from ebay like NIP for 125.00 I'll et you guys know what I think of it after some testing time
    Just wondering if you like the Hitec ? Thanks !

Hyperion duo charger for me.

Chief

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    The most popular charger in my club is the AstroFlight 109, we must have twenty of them. No bells or whistles but it is very simple to use. Simply plug in the pack (up to 9S), turn the knob to the charge rate in amps you want, and walk away. It also discharges. I got mine used, they've work perfectly for years. I also have four Hyperions, but they do no better than the AstroFlight yet are more complicated to use and won't do 9S.

I have to second that , I have 4 of them and appreciate there simplicity
    Necessity is the mother of invention.............

Youtube Video's http://www.youtube.com/user/Titanis2000

I used to use 2 Hyperion 1420's with a 24v power supply when I was an active boater. Ive found that charging 2 packs in parallel takes less time than charging in series. I could charge 4 packs at once since all my batteries were 3s 5000mah. Best chargers I ever had, and still have in case I get back into boating.

Absolute 1807 Dual here.
    300W/300W.
    20A charge / 10A discharge.

Pros:
    Various write-able programs for whatever your favourite cells happen to be.
    6s 5000mA LiPo pack fully linear discharges in around 60 mins, recharges in about the same time.

Cons:
    Instructions are hopeless and written in Chinglish, but a clever man can work it out.
    Ditched the supplied cables and made some decent ones including 6mm bullets.
    Channel 0 output is actually printed channel 1, channel 1 is actually printed channel 2 on the device!
    Internal fuses are a pain to get to lakeside.
    Note: Make sure you have your motor running if using your car battery as a power source else it's a long walk home.

Seriously - I've tried pretty much everything to destroy this unit without success so far.

I went with the Turnigy Mega 400W.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=23590

At the time it was either this or the Turnigy 200W x 2 which didnt have enough juice.

Now this has come out and Im going to get it:
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ger_800W_.html

If interested in dual port charging, check out hobbypartz ultimate 800. I ordered this week and should have it july 5th.
    Mr Properchopper mentioned awhile back that he thought this would be a good unit for the price ($149). They were out of stock for 2 months. Looks very similar to HK's dual verison. I have a power supply coming from JRPLANE. I'm anxious to get rolling with my knew gear! ; )
    They call me DOUBLE D

I have the Hitech X4 and I have had it for a year now, they have a new one that is ac/dc looks good I wish I had waited for that one. I can charge four batts at one time of almost any flavor of bat, Lipo,Li-Ion,Lead acid,nickle metal, Nicad. Works well for me But the biggest bat I use is a 6s.
    Don't forget to put your brain in gear before you engage your mouth! Thanks Dad!

Here is my setup charging full swing , I don't recommend doing this as it will void your warrany but it works for me and the warranty I can give a crap about .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Necessity is the mother of invention.............

Youtube Video's http://www.youtube.com/user/Titanis2000

I have a Hyperion EOS 1210i charger with LBA10 Balancer. I've bought 2 units and both suffer from the same affliction. I don't know if it's the EOS 0610i or the LBA10 that's poorly designed. It has a very difficult time initializing to LiPo packs; it reads "Open Circuiit..." I have to connect/disconnect, and press the reset button on the balancer about 20 times for the charging cycle to engage. It is a very tedious process, which takes 2 days to go through 10 packs, which is why I haven't taken a boat out in 3 years! Hyperion is complete junk IMO as it is over-programmed with useless menus.

If I were to go with the Astroflight 109d, what would be an excellent cell balancer for 2S-6S?
    Last edited by 10gauge; 08-03-2012 at 10:03 AM.
    Mean Machine Cat: 9XL, 4S2P, CC120, M545 (50mph) -- DF22 Hydro: 8L, 3S1P/4500, CC120, x637 (49mph) -- M-1 SuperCat: 1521/1Y, 6S2P, CC240, x447 (61mph) -- SV27 Mono: stock setup, 14-cell/4200, x642 (42mph) -- Micro Scat Cat: 28-3600, 3S1P/2100, Turnigy 60, x430 (41mph)

I dig my hitech x4.
    white geico w/2200kv 3674 leopard 53.5mph 4s2p, geico w/ 1800kv outrunner 52mph on 4s2p, genesis w/2200kv castle 53.8 on 4s2p, impulse 31 w/2200kv castle, stock p1 and ul-1

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post

And walk away? And walkaway? And walk away????? Like in a trailer at a big race with new cells? If you are not using a balance charger when charging you have no overcurrant protection and no safety shut down. I think if you are not using a balance charger and not watching the entire charge you are liable for any damages because you are not safe. Why should an organization have insurance coverage for you? How are you monitering your cells? Just guessing?

OMG Jeff - Don't you read the rules that some of these racing associations promote. As long as you DO NOT CHARGE YOUR CELLS IN YOUR BOAT - you are free to slam your lipos into a dangerous lipo sack, hit the start button and walk away. Come on man -pay attention.

OH YAH - I do not represent any organized racing association.

Doug
    Doug Peterson
    IMPBA 19993
    www.badgerboaters.com

You guys crack me up.
    Missed ya at the last D4 race.

Quote Originally Posted by Derrick Davis View Post
    If interested in dual port charging, check out hobbypartz ultimate 800. I ordered this week and should have it july 5th.
    Mr Properchopper mentioned awhile back that he thought this would be a good unit for the price ($149). They were out of stock for 2 months. Looks very similar to HK's dual verison. I have a power supply coming from JRPLANE. I'm anxious to get rolling with my knew gear! ; )
    Derrick,

Did you get the charger ? If so, what do you think of it ?
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Just wanted to throw this in the ring,I just purchased a Hitec X2 http://www.hitecrcd.com/products/cha...ipment/x2.html and used it this AM and man is this an improvement over my GT Power.Now I can't wait to get my new powersupply.

Pretty good cell balancing I take it ?

Quote Originally Posted by MIGMaster View Post
    Pretty good cell balancing I take it ?
    I threw my 4400mah 3s SkyLipo's on a balance charge and it was done in 30 mins from storage.My old GT was having issues getting it done in an hour and a half.

Just caught this for $115.70 & free shipping- not bad for 800 watts. Took the plunge and ordered it. Will evaluate & post results.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/26p-ultimate800-charger.html
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

At the races (two days) I used my Hyperion AC/DC EOSO720i with a 12 volt car battery to charge my 4200 and 5000mah 4s packs. I like to balance every charge.

I also have the Astroflight Lithium charger that I like, but it has no built in balancer. I can charge two 4s 5000mah packs in series (8s 5000mah)

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher 67 View Post
    Here is my setup charging full swing , I don't recommend doing this as it will void your warrany but it works for me and the warranty I can give a crap about .
    Nice set up Peter.
    Why do you take the packs out of the boat?? I thought you knew that they were never designed to be handled, and that they can be easily damaged by doing so.
    Seriously, nice set up!
    Smock
    PS I balance charge my Hyperion batterys with Hyperion 615 i DUO 3s.
    Last edited by Doug Smock; 07-25-2012 at 06:19 PM.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast