Thread: Need help on what all to buy?

Default Need help on what all to buy?

Deleted
    Last edited by Jason4636; 06-11-2012 at 07:28 PM.

What are you visualizing as "long run times"?

4 minutes on a FE boat is a long run time.

2 4S packs in parallel will increase your run time, just be careful not to hook them up in series for 8S

Yea I know to hook them in parallel

That much weight will slow things down a bit too.

Speed and long run times - when running at basically full throttle full time, just don't go together.

Like Doby said 4 minutes is long - depending on the boat/setup/prop/water conditions, it could be a really long time. If you want to baby your lipos (and not take more than 3500 - 4000 out of a 5000mah pack) you may be only running low 3 minute times.

I never really noticed it to be honest. It's a pretty frantic - very entertaining ~3 minutes and if you just carry a few more pairs of packs with you, off you go again.

Dolby is correct !
    It will work with extra batteries, it will possibly be slightly slower.
    You may have so much fun due to longer run times , you may not even notice the slight loss of top speed.
    On a M. Crew a single 5,200 mah battery fits just fine,
    a pair of 4s 5,000 mah cells would indeed increase run times- if they will fit under the hatch....

I own an Offshore Cat that runs faster with 9s3p than with 9s2p.
    Mine really truly benefits from the higher voltage of 3p.

Harry
    60" Expresscraft SuperCat
    (2) 2028 Castle motors 64.7 mph
    10s3p with x450/3 props
    15,000 mah 40c cells,

So would you guys buy a 4s 4200mha? Like the ones grimracer makes? Instead of the 2s 5000 mha, withe 4s I would have 8400mha's. But how big of a speed decrease would it have, over the 2s?

Hi,
    I had the same thing with more speed and more run time with bigger 4s cells in my FC 37" Daytona,
    I was running 4s2p 30c 3000mah and got 42mph and 6 minute run.
    Then I tried 4s2p 25c 5800mah and got 48mph and 14 minute run.
    How much are the grimracer cells, Money wise ?
    I think I have something batter and cheaper for you to try.

Quote Originally Posted by lenny View Post
    Hi,
    I had the same thing with more speed and more run time with bigger 4s cells in my FC 37" Daytona,
    I was running 4s2p 30c 3000mah and got 42mph and 6 minute run.
    Then I tried 4s2p 25c 5800mah and got 48mph and 14 minute run.
    How much are the grimracer cells, Money wise ?
    I think I have something batter and cheaper for you to try.
    The batteries are around $100, I'm not set on which brand to buy? I know I don't want cheap lipos. I want a high C rating. Plus the demension and weight is going to play in on my choice. Is your Daytona, almost the same hull as the genesis?

Yes it is the same hull but the Daytona is a little stronger I think.
    As for very good cells and not badly priced, I would get some Gen's ace cells 4s 30c 5300mah.
    Do you have any other boats yet to use the new cells in that you may get ?
    Just trying to think ahead for you, Before you say "Woulda coulda shoulda"

No this will be my first boat. I do have 3 helis. And one of them I can convert to 4s if I want to. I do like gen aces, I did fly them in my helis. But I switched over to thunder power. Gen aces are about half the price tho

Deleted

Yes, For the price of one grim you get two gen's.
    If you a race and money on the line than may be grim or thunder power would be the ticket,
    But for having fun and bashing gen's would be great.http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-30c-5300-4s1p.html
    Do you like mono or cats more.
    I like mono more I think and some choppy water.
    This is my Daytona.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6jf6...e=player_embed
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnnhuBAfefQ&feature=plcp

I like the looks of a cat more. I like your vids of your cat. Man that water looks dirty.

Thanks, It still needs some paint.
    The water is Cedar, And the iron ore discolors the water, and the acid deters the presence of microorganisms which might otherwise proliferate and clarify the water.
    You can walk across this lake and the deepest part is 6'.
    Cats look cool but mono run cool looking.
    You should try to run some boats first, And than get one that you like.
    Check around and see if any one runs some in your area, Do a search or add on Craiglist may be.
    Then get one RTR or one modded off of hear or another site.

LMK and I will try to help you find a good deal on one.

Another thing to consider is in the case of a blow over with the extra weight in the hull you are more likely to have hull damage. Fiberglass is a little thin on the crew. I know this because my entire left sponsin cracked and separated. Boat is pretty much ruined. I would not do any upgrades on the motor the faster the boat the more likely to come apart.

That's kinda why I'm leaning towards the carbon fiber genesis. I know I won't be able to run fully throttle around the corner's like you can with the MC or MG. Get the CF genesis, then reinforce with more CF inside. Then I'm thinking on using the 2lbs closed foam in the front of the boat to help in being more ridged. It that a good Idea or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason4636 View Post
    That's kinda why I'm leaning towards the carbon fiber genesis. I know I won't be able to run fully throttle around the corner's like you can with the MC or MG. Get the CF genesis, then reinforce with more CF inside. Then I'm thinking on using the 2lbs closed foam in the front of the boat to help in being more ridged. It that a good Idea or not.
    sure this is a good idea. If you're planning on going 60+ mph... otherwise youll be ok... just concentrate on putting in good battery trays or hold downs. closed cell foam is ok, i just use pool noodles

I know I said I would like to be above 40, but below 50. But I know this boat will be like all my other toys. My real boat is a 2006 Crownline 202, max hp rating is 320hp. Well when I blew the engine, in comes a 500hp 383sbc. Max speed 73mph. My truck is a 2007 Roush F150 RC500 only 65 made. The say the motor is only good to 550 flywheel hp. I'm probably pushing that or more. Plus I have a 2008 Roush stage 3 mustang pushing 468 rwhp, it's alittle screamer. And 3 RC heli's that I would hate to add up how much I have put into them.

But if this RC boat hobby goes like my other hobbies. I'm sure I'll be looking at 6-8s and more speed fairly quick. I hope not though.

When i bought my MC, i had the hobby shop automatically change the wiring on my boat to parallel wiring because i only owned 4s batteries no 2s. I really didn't think about the weight and have had no complaints so far. here is a video of me running it. i get about 8 - 10 mins runtime and my electronics do not overheat.

Quote Originally Posted by DjFlipNautikz View Post
    i get about 8 - 10 mins runtime and my electronics do not overheat.
    I think your MC is just perfect.

Harry
    60" Expresscraft SuperCat
    (2) 2028 Castle motors 64.7 mph
    10s3p with x450/3 props
    15,000 mah 40c cells,