Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: NEW Pro Boat Impluse 31 RTR V2

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    well darrin? lol… what is going on here manny….?
    Manny.. I'm still trying to understand your point here???

To answer your question directly?? TOO MANY!

But you ask the wrong question... WHY do they burn??

Because people aren't fully aware of the technology they are working with, think their boats will work just like their cars or planes, and run them under conditions that perhaps they shouldn't.

And, Yes, sometimes, there are also electrical/mechanical issues that contribute as well.

Now, if you'd like to know how many of these "ships" I'VE burned?? A few, but in EVERY case, it was because I was pushing them well beyond what I should have been, or TRYING to find the limits....

Personally, I would NEVER take one of these boats out of the box, throw 6S into it, and expect it to survive. I WOULD eventually run 6S in it, but I'd build up to it, once I knew that I had the boat 1) worked out of any bugs, 2) setup correctly and handling "loosely" enough to attempt 6S, and 3) was willing to push it to it's absolute limit.

But, hey, that's just me... what do I know??
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    I WOULD eventually run 6S in it, but I'd build up to it, once I knew that I had the boat 1) worked out of any bugs, 2) setup correctly and handling "loosely" enough to attempt 6S, and 3) was willing to push it to it's absolute limit.

IN fact... I DID run my IM31 on 6S, on 6S... and I ended up melting off a contact... BUT, I found out that I had a water-line pinched, so the motor wasn't cooling, which melted the glue on the endbell, allowing the motor to rotate, binding the flexshaft, all of which increased the amps, and melted the solder out of the contact.

HAD I been more careful and inspected the setup (threw it in at the Nats just to see what it would do on the 2-Lap TT.... Ran 34-seconds with the stock prop, which is only about a 35mph average), I am certain it wouldn't have had these issues. It can happen to anyone. You have to pay attention to the WHOLE system...

Darin,
    Talking about "whole system", maybe you can help me with this ... sort of off topic, but still very much relevant to new purchases of these RTR boats. In the "features and specs" it says you don't need to balance the Stainless Steel prop (PRB4019) that comes stock on the Impulse and a variety of other models (Mystic, BJ29, etc), unless you want optimum performance and acceleration. My friend's brand new Mystic, after only a couple of runs, developed a lot of "slop" in the rear strut bushing, even though it was greased every 2 runs (5 minutes per run 4S, 2-2S, stock setup). We hit the throttle one time, boat just sitting in the stand, and it just about vibrated off the table! The prop was visually not centered - it wobbled when you spun it. So, we got a new PRB4019 and I put it on my balancer and it too was WAY off. Just spinning it by hand or blowing on it, it would shake the balancer pretty bad. Checked closer with calipers and dial indicator and found out the bore was off center in the hub by .015" making one side really heavy. (Didn't check the original one that close, I assumed it just got damaged.) I ordered another one and that one was much better, but still not close to being balanced. (The marking on the prop was different, too, maybe different stock?) I got the new prop balanced pretty good, fooling with it for about an hour. Since that unbalanced mass is overhung at the aft most strut bushing, it seems to sense that it would wear the bushing alot more quickly, than if the prop was balanced. Without balancing these, I'm pretty sure the strut bushings would prematurely "wear out". Do you run these props "right out of the package", or "as received" on the RTR boats right out of the box? Have you seen the bushings wear out more quickly that what you think they should? I'm looking into getting some cast bronze sleeve bearings that match those in the strut and replacing the worn ones. Any thoughts/experience on doing that?
    Thanks,
    Bob
    Last edited by bob_t; 10-23-2012 at 12:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_t View Post
    Do you run these props "right out of the package", or "as received" on the RTR boats right out of the box? Have you seen the bushings wear out more quickly that what you think they should? I'm looking into getting some cast bronze sleeve bearings that match those in the strut and replacing the worn ones. Any thoughts/experience on doing that?
    Thanks,
    Bob
    Unless I'm testing something that needed to be in absolute stock trim, I don't run, ever, the stock props... They are not conducive to making the boats perform. THAT being said, I was told that there may be some better options in the works from Pro Boat, but I don't know their status.

Generally speaking, you really should always have your props balanced and sharpened. I have to wear protective gloves to install/handle mine in most cases. They are that sharp.

Getting them PERFECTLY balanced is open for debate.... Only one blade is loaded at a time, so it's debatable how much that really matters. I get mine very close, but don't obsess over it.

As for the strut bushing. The stock ones do seem to get loose. I'm not sure what they are made of. If you have the tools/talent to do it, you can ream out the stock strut to .250" and install some Octura Lead-Teflon bushings and then you'll have trouble-free operation.

Measure (Mic.) the diameter of the stub shaft. The stock ones can vary, and some are smaller than the .1865 that they should be. A replacement Octura piece or ??? from OSE is a good option and upgrade.

These things are not unlike a Traxxas Stampede or any other R/C RTR... There are compromises on them, and plenty of upgrade opportunities.

To answer your question more generally... YES, it's optimal to have the prop balanced, and to have the driveline slop-free.

Hi Guys,
    could someone tell me please; why the Proboat installed the ESC80A & 1800kv motor saying that it is compatible with 6s?
    The same thing did the Traxxas too with the Spartan, and we know how it ended.
    Is it possible that now when we have the technology of brushless motors,LiPo batt. and the new hard materials, they can't make a boat with no issues, naturally under condition that also the modellers must handle it carefully.
    Salute all,Niky.

Uh, no, it can certainly be done. There are numerous examples in current RTRs....you can see that. I cannot say why PB states that 6S is suitable with an 1800 Kv motor....it is not for 90 percent of users. Like the Spartan that is an invitation for disaster....a poor decision IMO. But that has nothing to do with running that boat on the proven 4S voltage.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Darin,
    Thanks for the response. I have the tools and ability to modify the strut. Thanks for the info about a better bearing solution - will need to give that a try. Thanks for the candid answers, too, I appreciate that. Hopefully I didn't sound like I was bashing PB, because I'm not. I really like their product(s) and understand that some compromises are necessary to stay "competitive" with the market. I think, in general, they do a good job of picking which compromises to make. I was sort of suprised that the literature/description for the prop said that additional balancing was not a necessity, as is usually stated with "as purchased" cast props.
    Thanks again!
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bob_t View Post
    Darin,
    Thanks for the response.
    Good Luck! Here are the bushings I use: http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...od=oct-oc6ltsb

I have a .2505 reamer that seems to do the trick... If you end up with the hole a tad loose, you can use some good Loctite sleeve retainer to hold them in place. Use a minimum of one at each extreme end of the stub-shaft. I usually use three for full support, and lube them with a good oil lube...

hi all
    Impulse 31 v2 is a good boat, just in
    5S and propeller 42mm
    4s propellers in 45mm
    6s is a design error
    Motor A3630- 1800Kv no torque for 47mm

Darin you have more experience than me
    Why Proboat? Not publish all the technical characteristics of the motor and esc dynamite

Constant Current:
    Burst Current:
    Resistance: .
    Battery: 2-6S Lipoly
    BEC:
    Motor Type:
    Size:
    Weight:
    *Speed:
    Timing
    Max rpn

100_0186.jpgThanks,
    manny
    Last edited by mannytx1; 12-20-2012 at 10:58 PM.

I am undecided i have a Proboat Formula Fastech it runs great but im looking for something faster im thinking of the impulse or spartan my friend has the spartan he broke the shaft twice then upgraded the shaft it runs good now no problem. What do you think impulse or spartan?

100_0182.jpg
    HI formulafastech

impulse 31 v2

Spartan is a toy
    Last edited by mannytx1; 10-24-2012 at 10:09 PM.

How is the impulse speed wise compared to the spartan

Any upgrades necessary for the impulse

Quote Originally Posted by mannytx1 View Post
    100_0182.jpg
    HI formulafastech

impulse 31 v2

Spartan is a toy
    TOY? do u own a Spartan?

impulse 31 v2 5s = spartan 6s

impulse 31v2 50+mph in 5S only

search youtube for lonmn, I have some spartan video

Is there a need to upgrade the prop

yes 42mm in 5S Turnigy nano-tech 65-130c lipo
    There are many propellers in 42 mm, take care com temperature
    Last edited by mannytx1; 10-24-2012 at 10:40 PM.

Hi Guys,
    so it seems that the IM 31 V2 is not for 6s with stock upgrade?
    Thanks,Niky.

impulse 31 v2 works in 6s, but is excellent in 5S (most favorable) prop x442
    100_0182.jpg 6s maybe will last 6 months
    Last edited by mannytx1; 10-25-2012 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mannytx1 View Post
    impulse 31 v2 works in 6s, but is excellent in 5S (most favorable) prop x442
    100_0182.jpg 6s maybe will last 6 months
    Are the two new proboats ok to run on 6s? It seems to me if it had a problem with 6s it wouldnt last 6 months, I would think if if it didnt burn up after a fair anount of use, you should be good to go, when somethings not rite, it doesnt take 6 months to burn up. more like 6 min.

Hi Guys,
    It seems to me that the new IM 31 will have the same pains on 6s as the Spartan had.
    So I give up, I'll buy by OSE STORE the upgraded components for my Spartan and the case is closed.
    Another "sacriface" of 350$ and all the pain will be gone (hope).
    Thanks all,salute Niky.

I'm happy impulse 31 v2

imagesCAOU25MN.jpgMotor%2520KV_Batt.jpg
    hi,Guys
    I do not understand, Impulse 31 v2 works excellent in 5S, why put it in 6s

what is the obsession of 6s, 6s, 6s ,6S,...... Why?
    6S is an illness
    Last edited by mannytx1; 10-26-2012 at 06:00 PM.

what is the obsession of 6s, 6s, 6s ,6S,...... Why? 6S is an illness I dont understand why you would say that, 6s, is a standard, that many a FE BOAT is run on, 4s and 6s I think are you most common power sources people run, higher volts and less kv, draw less amps, and can be a great setup???

you love 6s

rc boat 4s or cr boat 6s
    not 4s and 6s
    I prefer 2200kv 4S
    I prefer 1500kv 6S

Hi Guys,
    yes, you can say that is my obsession, but now I got 6 peaces of 3s LiPos.
    You have no idea how much it costs here in Switzerland. I spend almost a 1000$ for 3 couples of LiPo batt. and the charger.
    There's sites you can order the LiPO for a double less price than here, but it's very likley that you'll never get it because of non comfortibility with swiss law.
    I know the people who never recived their batt.
    So i must use what i have, don't wanna spend anymore my money for the LiPo.

hi NIKy
    apology
    I live in U.S. texas and we have this problem, 6s runs fine with X442 5s and 4s x445 with no heating problems.
    my temperature here is 90-100f
    the speeds are different every day with the same settings, dependent on external factors.
    I am a fan of speed, but I like to take care of my boats
    Manny, TX
    Last edited by mannytx1; 12-20-2012 at 11:03 PM.

Not recommend this boat
    100_0187.jpg100_0194.jpg100_0202.jpg

propeller diameter reduced, back- cuts, balancing and detongueing , sharpening, 42x55 decreases to 40mm
    connector 4mm Gold
    cooling hose 1/4x.170 O.DxI.D
    4S 39.2mph (runs 1 minutes)
    5S 48.7mph (runs 1 minutes)
    6S 57.5mph ( runs 1 minutes)
    1)servo does not work
    2)esc does not work for high volt cutoff and cutoff type ldle, (can not be programmed with programming card)
    3)program card will not work
    I sent back to Horizon
    Horizon sent me new servo, esc and card
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mannytx1; 12-20-2012 at 11:09 PM.

I desoldered my new version 2 also and had discolored/burned motor wires. And after reading Darin's comments from above, I am guessing that I did not have mine setup well either and I was running 6s. The difference is that Horizon Hobbies/Proboat sent me out another motor and esc. I like the boat, but it guess I need to learn more about setup, but 6s on the stock setup I am not sure about. I have since changed esc and motor and added the dual rudder option for extra cooling and changed to 5.5mm bullets running .187 flex without teflon. I haven't had a problem with the servo (yes the back screws come out at an angle, but it is not that bad). Yes the antenna was a pain ONCE. The hull is solid. I have had issues from day one with water in the boat. I still have not located the area yet.
    I guess what I am looking for is a boat I can run wide open for 5 minutes without any problems. I am a newbie to RC boats. This is my first fiberglass hull. I am trying to learn the ins and outs of this sport. I guess I made the mistake that Proboat said it would run on 6s and it is a RTR boat.....so I put in 6s and ran it. I also had the top hatch crack on my first crash. Proboat sent another hatch. Horizon and Proboat have EXCELLENT customer service. All in all, This is a good boat. After some mods a great boat.

Hi david,
    that what you say is materializing of my fears.
    Today, there's no RTR boat that can run on 6s out of box. It's better to buy just a hull with drive hardware and put the ESC & motor depending which batteries you want to run.
    I'm wondering why don't they make the boat a hundred, two hundred box more expencive, but also qalitativley better. Incredible!
    Salute all, Niky.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast