Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aquacraft Atlantic Tug

Default Aquacraft Atlantic Tug

Just got my new Atlantic Tug which I'm converting to a retrieval boat. Anyone recommend a brushless setup for this boat? Was thinking of putting a pro boat miss geico stock setup in it 1500kv.Just looking for a little more speed then the 550 brushed setup?? Also would an outrunner setup be better?

Brushless is not needed for a tug. If you want a bit more speed, increase your voltage. The stock input voltage is 7.2v correct? Go to 8.4v, The Rio EP uses that esc and is rated to use 8.4v. I am unsure if that ESC will go to 12v but THIS one will. If you make the jump to 12v, you should change the prop because the stock prop has a lot of pitch for scale. more Pitch = speed. less pitch = torque.
    "A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough."
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Thx Diego for the advice. Any prop recommendations?

It scares me because the Aquacraft website says it's a 3mm prop shaft. If it is, your prop choices will be very limited. I hope they are jyst rounding a 3.17 in shaft (1/8") Can you measure the shaft for me?
    Plus the prop is 29.8mm diameter. If you look where the shaft comes out, there's not much room to go larger in diameter without hitting the keel that supports the rudder. a 30mm prop is plenty, but let me know the shaft diameter and I'll link you to a prop for 12v
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

It is 3mm .12.

The best 12v 3mm prop is a RABOESCH 25mm diameter (vs. your existing 29mm), 3mm shaft, 4 blade, R rotation (same as yours).
    It can be founs on THIS page, just scroll down to 147-03

r147L.jpg

Price= $13
    Diameter= 25mm
    Rotation= R
    Shaft= M3
    Pitch= 25.6

Thx bud I appreciate the info! Ordering today. I'll let you know how it works out

I have a brushless setup on my AQ tug. The best improvement is the run time is much longer. I setup a water cooling pickup with a brass tube mounted on the rudder just behind the prop. It's surprising how much water flows thru the system much more than my fast boats. At full throttle it shoots out about 5-6 inches from the side of the boat

Quote Originally Posted by mtbenjamin77 View Post
    I have a brushless setup on my AQ tug. The best improvement is the run time is much longer. I setup a water cooling pickup with a brass tube mounted on the rudder just behind the prop. It's surprising how much water flows thru the system much more than my fast boats. At full throttle it shoots out about 5-6 inches from the side of the boat
    Wow thats sick. What kind of motor and what speed did you get? Any vids?

Quote Originally Posted by Diegoboy View Post
    Brushless is not needed for a tug. If you want a bit more speed, increase your voltage. The stock input voltage is 7.2v correct? Go to 8.4v, The Rio EP uses that esc and is rated to use 8.4v. I am unsure if that ESC will go to 12v but THIS one will. If you make the jump to 12v, you should change the prop because the stock prop has a lot of pitch for scale. more Pitch = speed. less pitch = torque.
    I think I would like to go to 8.4v but whats better nicd or nimh????

Hi,
    You want to go with the nimh cells.
    Shop around and check prices because they are not to cheap,
    When you compare them to lipo's these days.

Also I may have some laying around from when my Rio ep was brushed and then modded to brushless now,
    And some stock esc to.
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

My youtube videos.http://www.youtube.com/user/61manx?feature=mhee

[QUOTE=lenny;530315]Hi,
    You want to go with the nimh cells.
    Shop around and check prices because they are not to cheap,
    When you compare them to lipo's these days.

Also I may have some laying around from when my Rio ep was brushed and then modded to brushless now,
    And some stock esc to.[/QUOTE

Thanks for the help. . I have a 2000mah that I run in my drift car. so I can use that until I find one I want.
    I would like to put the tug in the water and just let it sit there until its needed. probably looking at on average 4 to 6 hours with lets say 5 or 6 recsue missions. (my buddies roll a lot lol) would I need a much bigger mah battery to achive that kinda set time?

2000mah is not very much run time for a boat,
    Boats pull a lot more amps all the time then most other rc stuff out there.
    It is because of the constant drag of the water on the hull,
    I was using 7.2v 3600mah and 7.2 5000mah packs for my Rio ep,
    And also would use 8.4 5000mah packs when running for a good speed burst at times.
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

My youtube videos.http://www.youtube.com/user/61manx?feature=mhee

Got a 3000mah, cause of the price point.
    I would like to launch the boat and kinda let it sit out there until its needed. Is that bad for the electical system to just sit?

Bump from the past.. I'd like to know the same. Setting up my Atlantic Tug Ver.1 as a rescue tug, just installed a Hobby Wing 1060 Brushed 60amp ESC. Much better than stock. Now what to do about letting it sit waiting for my FE boat to flip? I think i will mount a switch to the cabin so i don't have to take off the whole cabin to access the ESC switch. any suggestions would be very helpful.

This thread is pretty dead but I figured I would update a little. I bought an Atlantic Tug I (early version) for a rescue boat. Boat is awesome. I run a Flysky GT3 2.4 radio. Novak 55T motor a modified Raboesch 35mm 4 blade prop and a 1040 esc which is good but doesn't have crawler mode so a 1060 would be better. On 7.4v lipo, with the 55T motor and stock prop the boat has the exact speed as a version two on 11.1v. The 35mm 4 blade which needed to be cut down a touch has quite a lot of pulling power. Run time for 90 minutes consumed 1340mah out of a 5000 mah 7.4v battery. I have not tried it on 11.1v yet but temps on the motor using the 7.4 lipo were 68* degrees. You can use the boat for rescues using the drag line method or making a pvc/fun noodle H rig. Both work really well as the Tug boat turns on a dime. The boat is really enjoyable and very relaxing to play with.

That is what's great about scale "slow" boats. Relaxing to run.

Quote Originally Posted by Diegoboy View Post
    That is what's great about scale "slow" boats. Relaxing to run.
    Plus they are more reliable and they serve as a rescue boat so they are multi purpose

Dead thread brought back to life again! I am on the verge of picking up the Atlantic II to use as a dedicated rescue boat. Curious how your boats have held up over these years and how well they have performed as rescue boats.

Cheers
    Tim

Well I used mine for a few trips to the lake as a rescue rig via tow line and tennis ball. Just circle the upside down boat and grab the rudder and tow her back to shore. I actually haven't used it in over a year now but looks great sitting on my shelf lol. I think I'll make a pvc noodle rig for it. The stock shaft is probably the weakest link imho. Now I wanna take it out and play with her next time I head to the lake re reading this old thread. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hemifear View Post
    Dead thread brought back to life again! I am on the verge of picking up the Atlantic II to use as a dedicated rescue boat. Curious how your boats have held up over these years and how well they have performed as rescue boats.

Cheers
    Tim
    I have two of the Tugs one for me and one for the wife. No problems from either and they are super reliable. Slow rpm motor so basically nothing wears out. Top speed about 10 mph and run time over an hour on 4000mah. I use it for fun and as a rescue rig with my fun noodle recovery set up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Placed an order for the Hobby Engine Richardson Premium Label Tug. A little smaller than the Atlantic II....doesn't turn as well, but the scale looks of the boat are more appealing to me. I will be able to modify it to turn as it should, detail the scale looks of it in a way that I cant on my FE's, and in the end have a cool looking rescue boat.

Lets keep this old thread alive. My best craigslist find of the year, so far. Brand new in the box! Just need to bend up a PVC rig, install a spare receiver, and I'm all set with a rescue rig.
    2017-03-17 16.48.15.jpg
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    Lets keep this old thread alive. My best craigslist find of the year, so far. Brand new in the box! Just need to bend up a PVC rig, install a spare receiver, and I'm all set with a rescue rig.
    2017-03-17 16.48.15.jpg
    The older model one you have has a poor esc that is really slow in reverse. Pick up a WP 1040 ESC and you will have full power forward and reverse. Use a 3s lipo around 3000mah or higher and you have 45 miniute run times. Other then that the Atlantic tugs are the best bang for the buck they are all fiberglass units.

I like the construction and the accessibility of the Atlantic better than the Southampton but the visual aspect of the Southampton/Richardson was more appealing to me. Should be here mid next week....then the mods begin! I am just going to tow a rope with a hook and drag to rescue. Looking forward to getting it....might have to get an Atlantic as well.
    Proboat Voracity, Proboat Zelos 36, H.E. Richardson Tug Boat for a rescue boat.

I think by the time you mod out the Richardson it is going to be more money then the Atlantic. Also the kort nozzles can be problematic in water with any type of debree as far as jamming. Should be a fun project, you will need a new radio system as I think the range on the unit that comes with the boat is only 300 feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Newboater View Post
    The older model one you have has a poor esc that is really slow in reverse. Pick up a WP 1040 ESC and you will have full power forward and reverse. Use a 3s lipo around 3000mah or higher and you have 45 miniute run times. Other then that the Atlantic tugs are the best bang for the buck they are all fiberglass units.
    Is that ESC made for brushed or brushless?

EDIT: Nevermind, just found it. Brushed. Are you running the stock motor and prop as well?
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Nice find Fweasel I found mine on CL also paid $100. I upgraded the ESC to the 1060 and helped a lot with reverse speeds. Still need to make the pvc/noodle rig but have had great luck using fishing line with a tennis ball attached at the end. Circle the flipped boat and snag the rudder and tow her in. Very slow compared to my buddies modded rescue tugs but works. Need to swap out the old stock am radio for a new 2.4ghz as I can't stand popping 8 AA's in everytime lol.

Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast