Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aquacraft Atlantic Tug

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    Is that ESC made for brushed or brushless?

EDIT: Nevermind, just found it. Brushed. Are you running the stock motor and prop as well?
    Sorry go with the 1060 Esc I am running a 55t motor on 2s, which is exactly the same speed as the stock motor on 3s. The stock motor is fine I just picked up a motor you can rebuild. 55t is too fast on 3s If you want a little more speed shoot for a 65t with stock prop. Stock speed on the tug is about 11mph.

Haha awesome vid you dug up there. That's my lake and crew! The Hansen Dam violators

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ordered the 1060 ESC from HK. I'll stick with the stock motor on 3S for now.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Default Aquacraft Atlantic Tug

Awesome combo, will you run a volt meter on the balance tap so you don't over discharge your lipos? I've only ran mine on the 8.4 nimh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1060 ESC has low voltage cut off. Use 3000 mah or higher 3s battery with stock motor and you won't have to worry about low voltage issues run time on that set-up is over an hour.

I just had a look at the stock prop. It looks like gold plated pot metal and very much toy grade. I've seen recommendations for prop upgrades and 4 blade options, but what about a higher quality replacement in the original size?
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    I just had a look at the stock prop. It looks like gold plated pot metal and very much toy grade. I've seen recommendations for prop upgrades and 4 blade options, but what about a higher quality replacement in the original size?
    Raboesch makes props that will need to be modified to work. I tried a 35mm 4 blade prop but that would not allow the boat to come on plain. The stock prop supplies enough pulling power for any rescue. I will cut down the 35mm to around 32mm to see if there is any gain to be had. Won't be able to test anything until the lake isn't frozen anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Newboater View Post
    Raboesch makes props that will need to be modified to work. I tried a 35mm 4 blade prop but that would not allow the boat to come on plain. The stock prop supplies enough pulling power for any rescue. I will cut down the 35mm to around 32mm to see if there is any gain to be had. Won't be able to test anything until the lake isn't frozen anymore.
    Thanks. I guess I'll just clean up the stock prop for now.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Reviving the thread since I'm new to the forum and a little confused about some info I read. It was stated that the Atlantic prop is a right prop. But mine rotation is to the left not right. I got version one. I got it like 10 years ago... Never has seen water. Recently I have modified it and planning to put it in the water soon. I was planning to switch to the Raboesch prop. The site states that if it runs counterclockwise is left, that is my case. Would a 30 be better than the stock? (pitch, prop type)IMG-0306.jpg

I don't remember the size of the factory prop, but I cut my 35mm 4 blade down to about 32mm and my boat runs a little faster on 2S with a 55T motor then my wife's runs on 3S with a factory prop and motor.

A larger prop will be faster but don't go too much larger. I went to a 4 blade from a three. Counter clockwise is the correct direction. If you bought the opposite direction prop just switch the motor leads.

That is the same Tug I have, Awesome boat my wife has the newer version.

The factory prop is; Specs:
    Diameter: 1.175 (29.86mm)
    Pitch: 0.950 (24.14mm) therefore 30mm

How did you cut yours? They have to be balance... and perfect. I don't know if I can do that :)

Cut with a Dremel then filed the edge and used a prop balancer. No need to be perfect as the motor is slow rpm and it is a shaft drive. The factory prop is fine on 3s. Are you trying to do something else like make the tug faster?

Raboesch prop wont be much different then factory, unless you go a little larger.
    Last edited by Newboater; 08-29-2018 at 07:12 PM.

I was planning to go 35mm, I've seen mods were the person cut the lower part where the rudder is attached, then added a lower bracket U shaped and re-attached the rudder. Also change the ESC to have more reverse. Also I wanted to know how is the water leak in the boat, would a water pump be wise?
    Last edited by chemanuel; 08-29-2018 at 07:52 PM.

No water pump needed only water that may get in comes up the straight shaft. A small piece of water line that you stretch over brass tube and rides on the straight shaft fixes that. I wouldn't cut the rudder support fit the largest 3 blade that will fit and then test it to see how the tug runs. Hobby Wing Quicrun 1060 ESC. My boat has a lot of rescues on it and hours of run time with zero issues.
    Last edited by Newboater; 08-30-2018 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Spelling

Thank you very much for your responses... this is what I was talking about.

Qv54369.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by chemanuel View Post
    Thank you very much for your responses... this is what I was talking about.

Qv54369.jpg
    If that is the route you want to go that is fine. The motor runs about 1100 rpms changing from 30mm to 35mm with the same pitch will yield a 1 mile per hour gain. A lot of work for a gain that you may not notice.
    I went four blade for more pushing power as some of the boats I rescued get vegetation rapped around the strut.

Nope, I was just showing you the picture. I will order the Esc you suggested and use the stock motor for now. What size is your 4 blade and which 55T you got? I look around and there are a bunch. Is it the same thing anyone?

Motor was Novak Rock star 55T which is rebuildable. 4 blade was Dumas 174-03a 35mm m3 shaft.

The Factory motor is closer to 65T a 55t Motor will run the same speed on 2s vs 3s. Try and get a 30-32mm 4 blade, my prop was Dumas 174-03A, but you need to cut the drive dog into it and cut it down in size. Brass is pretty soft so you can use factory prop as a guide and just use a small file.

Thank you very much, you have been very helpful!

No problem, any other questions feel free to ask. The Aquacraft tugs are excellent boats

Hey Newboater I got a question for you regarding the props. I find 2:

147-04A 35mm, M3, Left, 4 blade:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brass-35mm-....c100005.m1851

And also: 174-04A Same specs 35MM. M3, Left, 4 blades:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brass-35mm-...53.m1438.l2649

What's the difference? Pitch?

Thanks

I believe they are the same prop as they are both the same seller and same description.

Newboater Somehow the first link show the same prop... the correct link for 147-04 is this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brass-35mm-...53.m1438.l2649

looking at both of them now, they are not the same. I think the first number has to do with the "shape" of the blades. If you look closer they are different. Now the question is, Which one is better?

Props.jpg

Prop on the right seems to have less surface area by using a narrower blade, not sure what the pitch is on either, but probably similar pitch to stock.

Thanks... then Would it be better the one with more surface area?

Quote Originally Posted by chemanuel View Post
    Thanks... then Would it be better the one with more surface area?
    Take the one with the thinner blade just incase you need to make it smaller it will be easier to cut down. Try it stock and see how the boat runs.

Thanks!

Looking to upgrade mine as it’s a touch to slow and reverse is a joke trying to stop it lol .. someone said the stock motor is only 1100rpm ? That’s about a 90turm ??? Zippkitts sells a outrunner for their tugs now .. anobody try a 5 blade prop yet ? Also where can I get a 3mm shaft with threads on the end as mine I’m sure is bent some
    A0FE6DCD-2910-4400-870E-6A358D6A5AAB.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12