Thread: Micro Hydro Owners?

Default Micro Hydro Owners?

Hey, I was wondering if anybody was running a micro hydro hull. If so, how well do they handle the pond and/or lake that you run on? Reason being, I'm looking for something small to run some extra electronics I have running around.
    I want to the keep the hull small, since that minimizes costs as I try to maintain my hobby without breaking the wallet .

I currently run a brushless Pro-Boat mini-v, and I'm guessing that would handle any chop significantly better than a hydro hull. But when the water is pristine and glasslike, I imagine hydro's are a great deal of fun.

Just looking for some feedback / commentary. Thanks

The mini hydro's are great on smooth water. The renegade rigger seems to handle a tiny bit more chop.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

I've been running micros with a $27 brushless outrunner/ESC combo and a $10 1300mah 2S LiPo for some time now. Do a search for Santee Sport Scale Hydro or SSSH here and on the "Red" board for tons of info.

Default Micro Hydro by Mini Cat Racing

I just purchased a Micro Hydro by Mini Cat Racing here at OSE (Approx. dimensions, 15” long x 8” wide). I have a pond not far from work and I run there at lunch sometimes. This body of water is down in a ravine that is surrounded by trees, so even if it’s windy, the water is pretty still. The pond is small, I can make a full speed turn at one end but can’t on the other.

I have to make sure the battery is centered in the hull or the boat will list to the heavy side. The hydro is rock solid in flat water, but it gets a little dicey even crossing its own waves - but that could be because of my (lack of) ability. The cat is a rocket w/3s lipo. I’m having a lot of fun with it, it is my favorite boat so far.
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

How about a rudder for micro hydros that isn't that ugly blue color? Anyone kow of where to find one?
    '
    Jim
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

De- anodize the blue one?

I'm not sure if the micro hydro is what I want to do then. I run on multiple lakes/ponds with different conditions, and I think anything less than a deep-vee is going to be a waste of an investment. In reality, I should pony up and get a 24-29" boat.

It's a pain selling things these days though.

1/16th scale is a nice size about 22 inches long and will run on a simple 2s lipo and will handle a little chop
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

Jim,

MHZ makes a brass rudder assembly and an all-aluminum rudder assembly for micros. Check them out.