Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Atomik 58 pics

Default Atomik 58 pics

Just opened up the new ARC, and thought I would share some pics. Looks like atomic opened the box and inspected the boat prior to shipping. Hardware looks pretty stout, motor mount looks nice although not sure if something like a leo 56mm motor or castle 2028 would fit between the rails without some major modifications to the stringers. Although running motors of that size should require some extra hull reinforcement anyway. Finish looks fantastic, nice scale details. Feels pretty light compared to my gas BJ55 without fuel. The motor does look awfully small inside the hull, but I can see how with a smaller-ish nicely sharpened and balanced prop, lighter weight, and keeping the strut up high enough to free up the prop a bit, this big hull could run adequately with the stock components. I'd feel a bit better if this package came with a little bigger esc like a t-180. I also would keep as little battery weight as possible in the hull(single 6s pack) in fear that loading up the hull with too much lipo could stress the motor/esc. Overall it looks good! Only time will tell how she holds up!

101_2955.jpg101_2956.jpg101_2957.jpg101_2958.jpg101_2960.jpg
    Last edited by forescott; 06-01-2012 at 11:55 PM.

The stuffing tube is Teflon?!

120 amp esc in a boat that size? wtf? i guess im overdoing all my stuff…. and yes, whats with the teflon stuffing tube?

It actually looks like teflon over brass. Its feels solid, so I know its more than teflon. I'll have to take a closer look.

Plug in batteries...place in water.....hit the throttle..........come on......

Let's see the vids!
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Quote Originally Posted by forescott View Post
    . I also would keep as little battery weight as possible in the hull(single 6s pack) in fear that loading up the hull with too much lipo could stress the motor/esc.
    101_2955.jpg101_2956.jpg101_2957.jpg101_2958.jpg101_2960.jpg
    I've been thinking about this too. Let me know where your CG ends up with the battery in the stock location. I felt mine was running on the wet side. Now I'm thinking that (2) 3S packs in series is worth trying on a stock setup since it won't add tons of weight and will allow the batteries to be in the sponsons. Hopefully you get a chance to run the boat soon!

Question

so are you guys thinking this can't run 6s2p?
    if only one more pack makes it ride that wet or not have enough power....
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    so are you guys thinking this can't run 6s2p?
    if only one more pack makes it ride that wet or not have enough power....
    Not what I said at all. I'm sure it can run 6s2p, just wondering how noticable the extra weight will be. 2 packs will weigh in at almost 60 oz, 30oz of weight has got to affect the performance of any boat.

I have no idea what one more pack will do since I haven't tried it yet. What I was saying is that the stock battery location causes the CG to be about 1.5 inches forward of where I feel it should be. With a neutral strut angle I felt the hull ran a bit wet. I would like to know if Scott has the same experience when he runs his.

I would like to know if the paint work is any better than the p1 or c1. Clear and paint comes of with the tape the first time. Same or better?
    white geico w/2200kv 3674 leopard 53.5mph 4s2p, geico w/ 1800kv outrunner 52mph on 4s2p, genesis w/2200kv castle 53.8 on 4s2p, impulse 31 w/2200kv castle, stock p1 and ul-1

Quote Originally Posted by stadiumyamaha View Post
    I would like to know if the paint work is any better than the p1 or c1. Clear and paint comes of with the tape the first time. Same or better?
    I haven't had any issues with the paint on mine

LOL
    If running effects this boat like some ASSume, then maybe they should stick to cars and trucks..
    This is a 55" hull and should have no issues running 6s2p, and with a motor change 10s2p+

And as far as this boats finish I sure hope its a home run vs my Gas KOS
    That gell coat finish sucked... time will tell after a few runs on the water with this hull

And as I've noticed.... no videos from anyone on this hull, only the promo vids and a bunch of assuming

The gas hull w/o gas weighs about 16lbs and this version weighs 13lbs. So adding one more pack is not a big deal at all. The advantage is the ability to adjust the CG with the two packs in the sponsons. It is not hyper critical but it does make a difference and the boat will respond to the tuning.
    The paint has been improved through the use of a new paint system and better prep work. If you have any issues with the hull please let us know. I'm constantly monitoring batches for consistency even after the sale.
    VENOM RACING R&D

So is anyone actually running this??? Would love some ACTUAL feedback...

Quote Originally Posted by rpedro View Post
    So is anyone actually running this??? Would love some ACTUAL feedback...
    I'm running it and love it! Its just too hot where I live to run right now so its on the shelf until fall.

awesome!!! any advice/feedback, etc would be great!!! maintenance advice etc, etc... thanks!!!

Are you new to FE boats? Its pretty much identical maintenance wise to any other boat. To lube the shaft you have to pull the motor mount which is sorta a pain but after you do it a few times it gets pretty easy. I started running two batteries in the sponsons. It seemed to make it handle better. The stock spot works fine though. It does take some getting used to due to the size of it. Be prepared to flip it a few times learning to do high speed turns! oh, and have at least a few batteries for it. My run times are usually only 4-7 minutes.

4-7 minutes??? yikes!!! will the 50c battery upgrade help??? what about two of either the 25c or 50c??? I am new to boats but not to RC... love the size of this beast...:) more buying it to cruise around, etc... racing it wasn't my plan anyway...
    I can't wait to have this thing in my hands...:)

you got pics on how to wire the two batteries??? that would be great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rpedro View Post
    4-7 minutes??? yikes!!! will the 50c battery upgrade help??? what about two of either the 25c or 50c??? I am new to boats but not to RC... love the size of this beast...:) more buying it to cruise around, etc... racing it wasn't my plan anyway...
    I can't wait to have this thing in my hands...:)

you got pics on how to wire the two batteries??? that would be great!!!
    The 50C won't make a difference in run time, you would need more mah to get a longer runtime. But, to be honest I wouldn't want to run much longer than that before checking temps anyway. To wire up two batteres you would just parrelel them. Both red wires together and both black wires together. Or, you could run two 3s 7500 venom batteries in series. That would get you 6S with a longer run time...maybe 10-12 minutes. Every time I've taken the big cat out it draws a crowd!

Sounds really cool!!! Thanks for the advice/info... I look forward to getting mine next week...

How are you checking the temperature of the ESC/motor??? Thanks again...

Finally ran this boat today for the first time. How many months ago did I start this thread?? Tried to run it yesterday but I couldnt get the transmitter and receiver to connect. Something funny was going on with the transmitter because the power light wouldnt turn on at first and after fiddling with the batteries got it to turn on but wouldnt connect. Thought maybe I grabbed the wrong transmitter from home because I have two of the same ones. It turns out it was the right one, so I swapped the stock radio for my trusty tactic. Everything checked out good. Went to my local pond this morning and ran it for about 4 minutes on a new zippy compact 6s 25c single pack. WOW, this boats really leaps up on plane and accelerates quickly! no gps but sure looks like the advertised 40mph, if not its real close.

When I pulled the hatch the esc was barely warm, but the motor felt pretty hot, I could hold my fingers against the can for about two seconds. Sorry for the lack of real data and video, but i was by myself this morning, and unprepared. I,m gonna try to get some good video and real data this week, but I plan on running this thing til something gives. My gut says the esc wont last too long running it on 6s, but the motor may fry if I run it too long without letting it cool down. Well see.

The rail spacing is only 3", and the stock motor mount has thick sides that will only allow for something like a castle 1717 cooling can to fit in between. A 56 mm motor will fit, but youd have to get a different mount. I wonder what kind of amps a 1717 on 6s would pull with a smaller than stock prop, say in the 47-48mm range?

Hey, Good to hear.
    The motor is a outrunner right ?
    They run a lot hotter then inrunners.

Quote Originally Posted by forescott View Post
    Finally ran this boat today for the first time. How many months ago did I start this thread?? Tried to run it yesterday but I couldnt get the transmitter and receiver to connect. Something funny was going on with the transmitter because the power light wouldnt turn on at first and after fiddling with the batteries got it to turn on but wouldnt connect. Thought maybe I grabbed the wrong transmitter from home because I have two of the same ones. It turns out it was the right one, so I swapped the stock radio for my trusty tactic. Everything checked out good. Went to my local pond this morning and ran it for about 4 minutes on a new zippy compact 6s 25c single pack. WOW, this boats really leaps up on plane and accelerates quickly! no gps but sure looks like the advertised 40mph, if not its real close.

When I pulled the hatch the esc was barely warm, but the motor felt pretty hot, I could hold my fingers against the can for about two seconds. Sorry for the lack of real data and video, but i was by myself this morning, and unprepared. I,m gonna try to get some good video and real data this week, but I plan on running this thing til something gives. My gut says the esc wont last too long running it on 6s, but the motor may fry if I run it too long without letting it cool down. Well see.

The rail spacing is only 3", and the stock motor mount has thick sides that will only allow for something like a castle 1717 cooling can to fit in between. A 56 mm motor will fit, but youd have to get a different mount. I wonder what kind of amps a 1717 on 6s would pull with a smaller than stock prop, say in the 47-48mm range?
    I would be well prepared for 200 amps with a 1717 and a 47mm prop.

Quote Originally Posted by lenny View Post
    Hey, Good to hear.
    The motor is a outrunner right ?
    They run a lot hotter then inrunners.
    Yes, the t-600 (1100kv)

I forgot you bought one of those boats,
    And I got the motor in good shape yesterday.
    Great packing on it.

I still am running the stock 60a esc & outrunner 2000kv in my p1 kos mono,
    The motor can handle 200f if not more.
    Mlne in hot summer temps like 95f runs at 165f with a 5 minute run on 4s,
    And on 5s I proped down to a x637 from the x440/3.
    And the timing is set at 26.25,
    Those motors like high timing on them and run cooler to.

lenny, can you find out from the guy who has this what id of atomik arc rails are that motor mount attaches too?

I will try to find out that info.
    ? ONLY IF THEY WORK

My youtube videos.http://www.youtube.com/user/61manx?feature=mhee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast