Thread: Out of Control Mystic

Default Out of Control Mystic

I have a made around 15 runs on my Mystic, it is the PNP version. I have a Spektrum MR200 radio with a Specktrum DX3S Radio. Stock Motor and ESC. The last time out the boat took off out of control, no trottle or steering from the DX3S. Full trottle on the boat out of know where, luckly it was headed back to shore and ended up on land. After talking to several rc guys i replaced batteries on the Radio, Rebinded the radio and reciever. Went back out today and after playing for 2-3 min. it took off out of contol again. Does anyone have any ideas?? Its just a matter of time before it hits a dock, we all know that outcome !!

try a different radio and receiver all together, could also be speed control

Check your faul-safe settings. Just last week, my radio batteries started to go... (Weird, no real warnings from the radio as far as lights on the thing going out) But anyways, started to cut out.... sit for a few seconds... and then repower.... I changed the radio (transmitter) batts and no issues. But i am sure my radio is set to power off for failsafe.... Check that, and do some serious range checking before running again.....

Does it always happen when you turn away from you?

Not fun... not fun... And as roadrashracing says, change out those electronics if you have extras.... Or at least start, with one by one, changing out receiver... then esc if you ahve another, etc....

Did it throttel UP after it lost control, or where you in full throttle and then no response?

It did trottle up too full trottle, luckily I was headed back to shore, if not it would have kept going till it hit something. Spoke with HH this morning and they suggested that I send the radio and reciever back to them to test(no charge other than shipping in my end). The first time it happened I had nicad batteries in reciever, changed them out to the regular energizer's. Same results!! Does anyone have and instructions and setting the failsafe. I may have missed a step somewhere.

I'm confused... Why are you running any batteries at the RX?? The ESC has a BEC and doesn't require them... I'm not sure you can run both...

The failsafe is setup when you bind. Wherever your TX is set when you bind the RX is where the failsafe is set. So, if you have the throttle in Neutral, then that's where the failsafe should return to.
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

not fun...glad to hear nobody gets hurt or you are in serious trouble. i suspect the receiver is defected and it went to failsafe mode. You probably set the throttle in full when you bind the RX.

Quote Originally Posted by nokiaprinter View Post
    not fun...glad to hear nobody gets hurt or you are in serious trouble. i suspect the receiver is defected and it went to failsafe mode. You probably set the throttle in full when you bind the RX.
    I'd say there was a much better chance that something in the ESC is defective, but some more testing/isolation needs to be done to know for sure. We still need some answers from my previous questions... I don't think the ESC will work properly if you plug an RX pack into the RX without disabling the BEC on the factory ESC, which, frankly, I'm not sure how you do. (remove the red wire??) I've never had the occasion or desire to do it...
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Happened to mine on the 2nd run. Replaced the esc with a turnigy 120amp, and been ran about 40 times now, hatch came off in a rollover, fully submerged, and running just as I got it!
    Replace the esc

Sent back to horizon hobbies yesterday for further testing on the radio, reciever & ESC. Will you all poseted as i hear.

Update, just recieved my tx,rx & esc back from HH on friday, according to the invoice:

esc & reciever checked out alright

DX3S- replaced failed encoder board. this issuse made the trottle channel intermittant

Any Comments ?? Im still not convinced

any updates???
    proboat mystic, preditator outrigger, tt desparado jr, vac-u-vee jr, aqua craft top speed v2, dumas 1/8 scale hydro

I don't like spectrum radios. Always something wrong it seems. I've gone to a 49 dollar flysky, works great. " knock on wood"