Thread: Highest amp esc with stock motor?

Default Highest amp esc with stock motor?

Hi all I wondered what the highest amp esc could be used with the stock motor? Looking to do some upgrading on my sv27r.

You can use any amperage you want above the stock one. The higher the amperage rating the bigger they are though, you could use a 300a ESC if you wanted to.
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

wow really? I figured there was a limit the stock motor could run? How many amp esc would be the best? I'm looking for more speed with the 4s but don't want to melt the deans plugs.

I'd use a Seaking/Turnigy 120a ESC............
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

Alright cool! Is the 180amp overkill?

The motor will only be able to handle so much.
    What exactly are you trying to accomplish by using a larger esc?
    If your not pushing the motor or changing a prop to require a larger esc there is no need to upgrade.

I use a Fightercat 140 with my sv motor on a 1/10 scale hydroplane batteries 4s and a 447 prop.
    The 140 isn't necessary it's just xtra head room to make sure I am staying in specs.
    I also have a seaking 120 I have run and keep as a backup.

This is a good combination for me but I can't push the motor to much harder if I want it to last.

Mine isn't the svr motor but wanted to give you an example.
    OSE GIFTING ELF
    HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

Just looking to get more speed. I have a GrimRacer 42x55 prop on the boat now.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodymaxx View Post
    Just looking to get more speed. I have a GrimRacer 42x55 prop on the boat now.
    a bigger esc really wont get you more speed, proper tuning will..
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Tuning of the hull? the prop?

Quote Originally Posted by Woodymaxx View Post
    Tuning of the hull? the prop?
    setting the trims tabs and stinger for a little more loose ride
    also trying a M445 prop as that motor could swing it with ease
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Remind me of what the stinger is? And this prop would be better? http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...?prod=oct-m445

Where did u get the prop from?
    If its not properly balanced and sharpened then yes u would get better speed if it was.

How much faster are u looking to go?
    The 42x55 prop is a good one and speeds should be pretty good.
    But as brushless said it will turn a larger prop pretty easily but best get it tuned and adjusted properly first and understand how to do these things before putting on different prop and get more speed and an unstable boat.

Sounds like u have some reading to do and learning.
    OSE GIFTING ELF
    HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

Well i did sharpen and balance the prop back last summer. I was planning on checking it again too.

Bear in mind the SV hull is limited in speed its happy running at.

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    This is a very true statement. If you are are running alone and on a very smooth water a m445 will pretty much be it. Maybe try a m447 but as I recall it overheats the motor pretty quick. It used to puff the packs on NIMH, but now with higher quailty lipo's the motor will overheat. We race them now with x442's because with the chop created with 3 or 4 other boats on a tight course it seems to be the best compromise for runtime, stability and fun.

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    I've gotten mid 50's out of mine

Yes you can push the speeds but the SV when pushed is not the greatest handling boat around ecpsecialy in turns or in a bit of chop.

You can easily put more through the stock esc than the motor can handle for any length of time.
    The motor draws the current the esc just supplies it. Changing to a different esc with that motor is kind of pointless as the esc is already having no problems supplying what the motor wants.
    If you change to a higher wattage motor then yes you would need to use a different esc as the motor would draw more current.
    I beat one of those esc's in my SAW setup cat it just keeps going. I regularly draw way more than 60 amps with a UL-1 motor in my Drifter S.
    If my boats upside down then who owns the one I thought I was driving the last two laps?

I got a 60A ESC out of a revolt in the for sale form