Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 NAMBA FE Nationals - Getting Excited about the Nats, Thread...

Default 2012 NAMBA FE Nationals - Getting Excited about the Nats, Thread...

OK, guys... let me start it! Anyone else thrashing to get their $hit together as much as I am???

Have some boats ready, have some on the bench, have at least one in mind that I haven't even started yet...

My wife asked "who are you" when I walked into the house the other day... Am I spending THAT much time in the garage... ???

Looking forward to getting together for some fun racing action!

I was thinking... Hmmmmm... I wonder if anyone has any decent cameras that maybe they could mount on the drivers stand and perhaps stream racing action live?? How cool would that be??
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

I'm feeling really good about this event. Personally, I've got a few minor setup issues to shake out before the Nat's. My tunnel is a mess after I kind of did a little running surface modification...woops. The rigger is good, but 1 prop in particular likes to hold the turn a little longer than I like. My monos are solid. My Insane Sport Hydro if very close after some tuning this past weekend at the district race. Also debating props again on that one, too. I've been chasing a very weird too tight/too loose problem w/that boat and I got past that issue during the district race.

From an event standpoint, there are many gas/nitro guys in my district that now have FE boats in their pit trailers. I'm tickled beyond belief about it, too. It won't be the biggest Nat's on record, but it should be the biggest as it relates to "crossover" racers joining the FE ranks.

Lastly, Dist 19 is a strong district and the support we've already received, and will get during the event has been and will be nothing less than spectacular.

Ding dong-a box just showed up from WD-40, too!

There's light at the end of the tunnel! Was that a train whistle?
    Brian "Snowman" Buaas
    Team Castle Creations
    NAMBA FE Chairman

I have 2 cameras a didicated video cam hd, and I have a Nikon D 5000 if someone can sort out the connection and stuff I would be willing to let them be used for filming fr drivers stand, also have a gopro that can be used also. Let me know and I'll bring them along.
    Socal Fe member, miss gieco castle 1515 1y t-180, blackjack29 stock,insane FE30 p sport castle 1515 1y t-180, insane FE30 p spec ul-1 motor t-120, insane 34"mono neu 1521 1.5d t-180

I'm losing what's left of my mind getting the fleet in tune. Mostly I worry about making everyone that enters feel welcome and have an experience that stands up to previous Nationals. SoCal FE is fairly "wet behind the ears" when it comes to co-sponsoring an event of this caliber ; thank goodness the SMB is there to take the lead and the local Legg Lake clubs like the Amigos and the H20 Gassers have committed their assistance. Having (predominently) gas/nitro club participation in putting on an FE-only event hopefully portends the future of mutual cooperation in model boat racing. Having a beautiful, permanent drivers stand and nicely shaded pits and ample restroom facilities doesnt hurt either. Looking forward to the racing, the camaraderie, and oh yeah, the food !

Tony Heller
    President, SoCal FE RC Raceboat Club
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Tony, just be you and everyone will feel welcome and have a great time, i know I always do. Since this will be my first FE nationals I don't know how great the others were, but i know this one is going to be AWESOME! The H20 Gassers hosted the gas nats last year if i remember correctly and it was a mighty fine event. So with their help and your passion I don't see how anything could go wrong.

Also I was wondering if Legg lake had any documentation stating a DB level for generators. The fine engineers at Yamaha have done a great job at making a smooth running 4500 watt generator, but I'm questioning its "whisper quite" capabilities. Thinking I may have to make some sort of silencer for it. Open to Ideas there.

Now if only there wasn't 50 mph winds and whitecaps on the lake!! I have made a "Shaughnessy " mod to the vegas, but I'll probably keep it under wraps until the nats so everyone can have a laugh together.

Some interesting observations and statistics coming out of the signups.

First off, we're at 36 drivers and 209 boats, and that includes deducting 3 drivers and 21+ boats that had a change of plans. To say that this event has already exceeded my expectations is an understatement.

Not including the scale classes:

N-2 Power Parameter has 25 boats
    P-Ltd has 86
    P has 45
    Q and T have 12 each.

Most popular classes:

LSH: 24
    P-Ltd Offshore: 17
    P-Ltd Mono:16
    P Mono: 14
    P-Ltd Hydro: 13
    P Sport Hydro: 12 (curious to see how many spec motors in this class)
    OPC: 10
    P Offshore: 10

I knew the T classes would be thin, but it's great to see that a number of the classes made the cut. We just don't have that many out here.

Seeing a 2:1 difference between P-Ltd and P boat counts...no surprise, but it does give a profound visual at how that power parameter is resonating in our hobby.

2 1/2 weeks and we'll be rubbin' decks!

2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

OK, Tony... I think I'm dialed in and ready to rumble!

Here, Kitty-kitty-kitty!

This thing ROCKS!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    OK, Tony... I think I'm dialed in and ready to rumble!

Here, Kitty-kitty-kitty!

This thing ROCKS!
    Can you FEEL IT ? : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiX-jcbu17Y

OK, Dammit! NINE POSTS!?? Are you kidding me!?

This event is a week away, and it's time to start yacking!! And I don't mean in the "Hurl" sense!!

I couldn't sleep this morning, so I got up and decided to make a little adjustment.

The PB team sent me a couple of the decal sheets from the new IM31v2, so I could use the new Pro Boat logos on a boat or two. Well... I just couldn't let the main decals go to waste, so I created my new "Team Edition" IM31! Removed the original IM31v1 decals and replaced them. Doesn't look half bad! P-Ltd Mono, here I come!
    Attached Images Attached Images

D, that's just pure gorgeous Seems that this Nat's will be a big showcase for the ongoing emergence of some really cool rtr spec boats which are certainly coming of age. PB & AQ should be happy to see this and content that their efforts (boosted in large part by the contributions of "name" racers like yours truly) are being realized by the racing community and will henceforth trickle down to the entire FE world. A "Win-Win" for sure.

To create a memorable experience for all attending (and watching), I've become mildly "serenity-challanged" given that this is SoCal FE's first foray into the "big time" and we're all taking dance lessons to avoid stepping on our . Adding to my normally scrambled thinking-focus is the fact that today is DAY NINE of being a non-smoker. Talk about bad timing ! Anyway the Good Times are about to roll ! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5TqI...eature=related

OK, Dammit! NINE POSTS!?? Are you kidding me!?

We all are busy lol. no time to type

Jason Sims

Go Tony on the stop smoking thing man, just got the props fr dasboata looking gd as usual just need to get down to the lake for some testing.
    Socal Fe member, miss gieco castle 1515 1y t-180, blackjack29 stock,insane FE30 p sport castle 1515 1y t-180, insane FE30 p spec ul-1 motor t-120, insane 34"mono neu 1521 1.5d t-180

Quote Originally Posted by line6 View Post

Jason Sims
    Hahahaha! Me too... well... except while I'm at "work"...

Quote Originally Posted by line6 View Post

Jason Sims
    I talked to Ken... I know he is REALLY BUSY!!

Trust me, guys are yacking! Just not on the forums. Things are a buzz...

Added 2 more drivers already this week.

I'm just trying to contain myself enough to not spend 100% of my time blabbing around the house about the race. Even at work. I know my staff have overheard a few conversations that probably sounded a little funny to them. Maybe even a little weird and, how shall I say...charged. What can I say...we're a passionate group that, for the most part, keeps a pretty damn good perspective on this hobby.

I try to spare the wife and kids. But, it's difficult when I have the pit trailer taking up garage space and crap everywhere...kids are wanting me to work on their scooters the second I sit down to tune props...or the dogs start barking outside right when I heat up the soldering iron.

Yes-I get the kids scooters tuned first and I spare the neighbors my barking dogs! But the pit trailer and garage crap are staying put for a few more days.

I talked to Ken... I know he is REALLY BUSY!!

I haven't heard from him in a few day's so I KNOW he is busy. Ya dave your right wasn't too amped till like a week to go now im blabbing at work also lol.

Jason Sims

I've been thrashing for the last two weeks in particular trying to get offshore boats to make 4 mins. Always seems like I make 3:30 and then the batteries drop off. Got one more weekend to try lower kv motors and more efficient prop combos.

Got to do some last minute painting and make sure all boats have numbers and are legal. Have not evern started to work on the trailer although I already know more racks will be required. On the positive side my Q mono is looking particularily fast and stable as it the T-Sport. And after some extensive therapy sessions I can say that Schulze's are cooperating with the Neu's and so are the Castle's and Lehner's.

Looking forward to the event!

Tick-Tock-Tick-Tock....

Did you guys ever notice that, in prepping for these "big" races, you tend to throw combinations together that you just wouldn't otherwise?? I mean, seriously... a PLASTIC Pro Boat Impulse 26 boat, all stock, with a Hydra 240ESC, 2S2P, and a Neu 1509 1Y... for N2-Mono??? What the HECK am I thinking??

Well... I DID upgrade the right turn fin! That'll help...

OK, OK, OK.... Six boats DIALED !! Now to get the pit equipment sorted & packed. LOTS of Logistics ahead . Some surprises in store

wish texas wasent in the way....id love to run a few classes and watch the good racing......
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

Quote Originally Posted by ron1950 View Post
    wish texas wasent in the way....id love to run a few classes and watch the good racing......
    http://www.delta.com/?Log=1&mkcpgn=S...S|e|9604739291

tony that is the worst airline in the world and the largest...id go southwest if attending lol

Wish I was coming,you guys are getting me amped up!
    Anyway,best of luck to Ken and Jason of Team WaveBlasters!They are pulling a trailer all the way from Forida and are probably on the road as we speak.
    Hope someone will post the results each day on this thread so those of us that couldn't make the trip can keep up on the action.

Jeff S
    WaveBlasters of Florida

hey jeff i talked to ken at the last race about the drive.....told em to hit I10 and hang on.....i used to drive to south cal and pick up boats and drive back to mississippi in two or three days....hell of a drive.....i wont do it again i can tell ya that......

Don't know if has been mentioned but are we going to be running the "M" offshore course or the "offset" offshore course?

I believe the offset course.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast