Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wire drive slippage

did you ever put never-seize ( silver colored grease for bolts) on the coupler threads? Increases gripping power unbelievably.

Quote Originally Posted by urbs00007 View Post
    did you ever put never-seize ( silver colored grease for bolts) on the coupler threads? Increases gripping power unbelievably.
    Thanks for contributing this tip!

Yes octura makes a 078. I worked on it with tom. I have the original here I tested for fit before it ever got hardened.
    Bill....you are high rpm ... prop hopping sob...lol... so I would go with a flex hex. I have them in stock as well.
    For most using a very slight flat side is enough. I also slightly tighten the non flat side first and then hit the flat side for the rest to tighten. If not, you are going to allow the round side possiblly not be in good contact with the wire which then will loosen from rubbing the alum slightly which will let it go. So all 4 set screws must be in contact with the wire...hope that makes sense.

Wow this went back to 2008.

jeff, do you think inconel .093" wire might work on 18 " length gentle curve 1527 neu at 50,000 rpm in a hydro? saw short stuffing tube photo somewhere which would be low drag. what is the strut nosepiece and is it homemade? want bullet-proof set-up with low drag so I can concentrate on boat set-up. going to do bench testing and will post results. castle data-logging. will use leopard 4082 2,000 kv on 6-s quick bursts to test. ss tubing over wire seems like a good stub-shaft.

093 is plenty strong. Joerg did 120 mph on a 078 wire drive. The problem with 093 is if it is a short drive with a bend and if it bends enough to hit the stuffing tube ity would be a problem. If it is slight then no problem but the wear factor of that touching the brass at 50,000 rpm would be hard...would run several runs but I would certainly check it close after each run. Joerg ran a hydro and motor mounted forward so driveline was much straighter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12