Thread: spartan castle esc programmable??

Smile spartan castle esc programmable??

hi, I also have the spartan. is the castle esc for this boat programmable? and how do I get rid of chine walk for this boat, bend down corners of trim tabs?

Some functions of the ESC are programmable. The owners manual provides details.

I never ran the stock electrics so can't provide any assistance, I will let those with hands on help you out.

I do know the Spartan ESC is less user friendly than many other ESC's.

Chine walk has been widely discussed here on OSE and other forums. There is no definitive singular fix. Some of us have managed to control it to some degree but this boat will get loose on you at high speeds.

Kevin

wondering if I can set the low voltage cutoff using my castle program card?

wondering if I can can set it lower than the defalt on there? ive found my lipos come in after cutoff below 3 volts per cell?

I don't think lvc is programmable.

Your lvc may be cutting in early because your 20C batteries might be "starving" the ESC of voltage.

Also the stock ESC has been plagued with problems and may be malfunctioning. But before jumping to that conclusion wait until some of the spartan guys who run the stock electrics drop by with some suggestions based on experience.

Kevin

so your saying the castle spartan esc is not too good? or the previous traxxas own one? I have had no problems with my castle one, stays cool.

The new Castle electronics are better than the original version, but there are still numerous reported failures of the ESC, especially running 6S.

That doesn't mean they are all failing. If yours is running well that is a good thing.

Complaints about the ESC "cutting out" and running at recovery voltage after only a very short run are common.

Sometimes the problem is identified as a problem with the way the boat is setup and trimmed out, sometimes it is a battery or connection issue, and sometimes it has been determined to be a faulty ESC.

As I mentioned, wait until a few Spartan owners who run the stock setup chime in with advice and suggestions on what to look for and try, but if you are unsuccessful eliminating the early cut out, it is possible you may have to return the esc to Castle for warranty replacement.

Kevin

Kevin, If I hook up my watt meter to one pack in the spartan, but still running 2 packs, will the meter show the mah for just the one pack or the 2 together?

I'm pretty certain it would only provide information on the battery it is connected to, unless it is installed between both batteries and esc.

What Watt meter are you using? What amp draw is it rated for? If the watt meter is not sized to handle the amp draw it could be restricting current flow to the ESC and causing a low voltage drop out.

Kevin