Thread: Which LiPo battery connectors are considered standard?

Default Which LiPo battery connectors are considered standard?

Like most of us on this forum we have a big investment in LiPo batteries. I fully understand when I order or buy batteries I know what connectors are already installed. I am not asking which connectors does everybody prefer. I want to know is what connectors are considered standard? My local hobby dealer says only cheap mail order batteries use a such and such connector. I can verify if you order via mail order low "C" rate batteries come with one connector and the high "C" rate batteries come with something else. None of which are the connectors I personally like best so what is standard anyway?

Dave

Much like wheels on differing vendors cars, the manufacturers don't want a standard. They make huge margins on any device requiring their specific connectors because the average guy does not wish to learn how to solder. Their is no standard. Based on the most common amp draws, much of FE boat racing community has adapted the 5.5mm bullet connector as a psuedo-standard.

Are you talking about the balance connectors on lipos? I've never bought lipos with +/- connectors in place already.....Just balance taps...
    "Will race for cookies!"
    IMPBA D12
    My Gallery: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/album.php?u=1738

Quote Originally Posted by HOTWATER View Post
    Are you talking about the balance connectors on lipos? I've never bought lipos with +/- connectors in place already.....Just balance taps...
    Most of the HobbyKing batteries can be purchased with 4mm or 5.5mm bullets already installed. As well, most of the major battery vendors MaxAmps, etc.. sell their wares with your choice of connectors installed. You and I don't do that, but the average guy does.

....if you have an option from HK, then 5.5's are pretty much what alot of boaters are using....
    "Will race for cookies!"
    IMPBA D12
    My Gallery: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/album.php?u=1738

I like the connectors but then you need to use shrink tubing correct? Are these connectors available with a hard plastic shield or cove?r

Yep you need to heatshrink them. When I started out I was using ec5 connectors, that didn't last long, they are a big pain in the butt! Depending on your wiring setup you end up with more connectors in the system, and if your boat is a tight fit they take up a ton of room when you have a bunch of them in there to run a 2P setup.
    Even gave me more charging options without extra adapters.
    If my boats upside down then who owns the one I thought I was driving the last two laps?

Quote Originally Posted by 1945dave View Post
    I like the connectors but then you need to use shrink tubing correct? Are these connectors available with a hard plastic shield or cove?r
    Most vendors like Steven here on OSE provide the shrink tubing with the connectors. To shrink, you need a heat gun or worst case a Bic lighter.

The normal convention for connectors is "Red Hot Female" i.e. the female connector for the battery lead goes on the positive side.

Good info, I just bought 4 batteries from HK and they have huge 8g wire and 5.5mm bullets. I was going to change over to the EC5's but now I think I will sell those, (just ordered a bunch) lol, and buy all 5.5mm, but 6mm for my motor connection. Which I really hope will help with the amp draw not getting the connectors hot. I use Traxxas connectors now. But the lowly 60amp Aquacraft ESC and the motor both have tiny 14g wire, so will changing to big bullets be that helpful, with the small wires?