Thread: 2P Wiring Suggestions for new style Castle Controllers

Default 2P Wiring Suggestions for new style Castle Controllers

Hey Gang,

As I work towards getting my Q Sport Hydro ready to race this week. I am looking for a suggestion on my wiring for a 2P setup.

Option #1 would simply be a stand alone 2P adapter soldered up.

Option #2 (my preference) - Splice in another wire with a connector into the main power leads into the controller.

The older Hydra 240's had two lead wires and I like that idea better than a 2P connector 'cluster'

Is there any reason, why #2 won't work or is there a reason why #1 is better than #2?

Thanks
    Mike

Mike,

On my Hydra 240, I trimmed away a small 1/4" or so square of the insulation on the wires, down near the circuit board, and soldered a bus-bar between them, using a chunk of 10awg wire. Then I just plug in a pair of the connectors to each pack. The system arms as soon as the first pack is plugged in.

It never gave me any trouble, and was certainly easier than the adapters I use out at the battery on other ESCs...
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Either will work. Whichever is less cluttered and weighs less is the one I would use.

Thanks for the quick reply Darin,

Your method is what I wanted to do. I just wanted some reassurance this would be OK. Plus, this will be less connectors in the end.

Thanks again,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by longballlumber View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply Darin,

Your method is what I wanted to do. I just wanted some reassurance this would be OK. Plus, this will be less connectors in the end.

Thanks again,
    Mike
    Mike, I got the idea from Brian. He's good for those kind of quality methods every "now and then"...
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

I modified the ends of the ICE240 wires with a short piece of 10ga wire having a connector on each end with a striped section in the middle soldered to the ESC wire. This makes a "Y" on the end of the wires. I like this better than the older Hydro 'octopus' of power wires coming out of the controller. What Darin is describing is for the older Hydras, I've done that for years myself. I'll try to find a photo later.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    I modified the ends of the ICE240 wires with a short piece of 10ga wire having a connector on each end with a striped section in the middle soldered to the ESC wire. This makes a "Y" on the end of the wires. I like this better than the older Hydro 'octopus' of power wires coming out of the controller. What Darin is describing is for the older Hydras, I've done that for years myself. I'll try to find a photo later..
    A picture would be great, but I am certain I understand what you’re doing. Just to be clear, I am using the NEWER Castle Hydra ICE 240 so I only have one positive and negative wire to work with. So, yes, I will need a "y" of some sort like Jay is mentioning. Thanks again guys! It was more of a sanity check than anything...

Later,
    Mike