Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My scratch built Pontoon

Default My scratch built Pontoon

This was something fun and different to build. Looks cool on the water. Just need some people drinkin' some beers on deck then it'll be complete!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    You're never too old to learn something stupid.

I love the detail, looks great mate

Thank you, my friend!

Very nice...................got any more pics???

I blew up yours so i could see it better...................
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

DSC00584.jpgYup, a few more.DSC_7860.jpgDSC_7853.jpg And thank You!
    Last edited by in-d-boat; 05-13-2012 at 09:25 PM. Reason: more pics

Looks very scale!!! Great job.
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

how did you make the pontoons? I think this is one of the nicest pontoon boats I have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by hazegry View Post
    how did you make the pontoons? I think this is one of the nicest pontoon boats I have seen.
    Yes build pics please. whats the LOA? How much did it cost in materials?

Thanks, guys!
    I made the pontoon logs from 2" phenolic rocket tubes. (actually 2.153 w/ 1/16" wall thickness) Then went over them with 3/4 oz. glass cloth. I left them hollow, no flotation, as anything added to the inside wouldn't do anything but add weight.
    I chose 2" because it made everything easier to figure the scale out. 1"=1 foot. Most logs are 2'. LOA, from the prop to the points on the 'toons is 34". I'm guessing I have about $40.00 in it not including the EP-1 and the Tatic radio and the battery.

Default Build pics

I made 1/8" lite ply plugs and glued the balsa blocks to them and rounded them off to make the backs of the pontoons. Then domed them a litlle.

Default cont.

For the front of the 'toon I used 1/8" lite ply for the keel and added 1" thick balsa blocks to each side. Shaped them on my disk sander and final sanded them by hand. Also made the 1/8" ply plugs, same as the rear. The stubby tubes they're mounted on are just to get the right O.D.DSC00460.jpgDSC00461.jpgDSC00462.jpgDSC00475.jpgDSC00476.jpg

Default cont.

Glued them together and went over everything with the glass cloth. I use 5 minute epoxy thinned 50% with acetone to attach the cloth. Let it dry overnight, sand lightly and apply another coat of thinned epoxy to make sure everything is well sealed. Then I spray sandable primer on it, wet sand inbetween coats, until it's smooth and the weave is filled.

Default cont.

Then it was onto making the mounts for the pontoons to attach the deck to. This took a bunch of time, but it's more scale than just glueing to the tops of the pontoon logs. (.030 styrene) plus some right angles.

Default cont.

Then it was on to making the deck.DSC00498.jpgDSC00499.jpgDSC00500.jpg

Default cont.

I made a third pontoon about half the lenght of the outer ones to mount the EP-1 too. Full size pontoons do this to help with the flotation for the heavier 4 stroke engines they're using. I used 1/4" aircraft ply for the motor mount with T nuts.DSC00502.jpgDSC00503.jpgDSC00504.jpgDSC00505.jpgDSC00506.jpg

Default cont.

Found a home for the servo and put the sheeting on the deck. I might add that I used the Bondex plastic cement rather than super glue. The Bondex melts the plastic together and forms, more or less, a solid joint. Where super glue will stick the pieces together ok, but doesn't bond them toether. Pieces will just snap apart. I never tried using the made for plastic super glue. Maybe that would work as well. The droplets are water from test floatin' it.DSC00514.jpgDSC00515.jpgDSC00516.jpgDSC00517.jpgDSC00518.jpg

I kept skipping by this thread for some reason,but now I'm glad I stopped.That is really cool work there and it turned out fantabulous.I spent alot of time on these in the Okanagan here in B.C. This looks so cool,thanks for sharing.

Shawn

Default cont.

Then it was on to roughing in the sides. I made these with 1/8" square styrene and sheeted them with .030" Used a heat gun to soften the plastic and formed the radius around a 1/2" dowel. Too much heat and it screws up the plastic. Not enough, and it won't hold the shape. Alot of trial and error to get it right. You can "feel" when the plastic is the right temp. Hard to explain.DSC00521.jpgDSC00522.jpgDSC00523.jpgDSC00524.jpgDSC00525.jpg

Thanks a ton, Shawn. Happy that you like it!

Default cont.

Next came the helm and some "cushy" boat furniture. The cushions for the benches were made from using 5/16 x 1/4 1/2 bulb weather stripping. Works good and has an adhesive back. A lot of "that looks about right" hereDSC00538.jpgDSC00540.jpgDSC00542.jpgDSC00544.jpg

Very good work!!!

Default cont.

I made a couple of "life jacket" storage boxes for the rear deck. One has the receiver in it, the other one has the ESC. It's a box over another box type of thing. All the wiring is routed above the center pontoon and never gets wet.DSC00548.jpgDSC00549.jpgDSC00550.jpgDSC00551.jpg And thanks again Make-a-Wake.

Default cont.

The battery compartment needed to be towards the bow and below deck. Also shows the rectangle channel for the battery wires to the center pontoon, through that to the ESC. A long lead doesn't seem to be a problem. It has room for 2 batteries but 1 runs forever. Not a speedy boat. Part throttle=looooong run times. DSC00552.jpg

Default cont.

Then I made a Bimini top for it. Used 1/8" round for the frame work. A couple of 1/8" square for the rear stationary supports. And 2 .010 thick "straps" for the front.DSC00558.jpgDSC00559.jpg

Default cont.

The whole boat was painted aluminum, 4 coats. I used Mono Kote trim sheets for the white and the designs. Sprayed Windex on the cut out sheet first, then "floated" them into place.DSC00560.jpgDSC00565.jpgDSC00568.jpgDSC00584.jpg The floor (carpet) is 2MM foam stuff I picked up at a Hobby Lobby craft store. And what pontoon boat would be complete without a grill? That's made out of a fishin' bobber and some leftovers. The tables are out of pizza boxes, I guess so the pizza doesn't stick to the lid. LOL.
    That pretty much covers it. Thanks for all the positive comments, guys! DSC00617.jpg
    In-D-boat
    Last edited by in-d-boat; 05-26-2012 at 11:25 AM.

Boy,that is great detail.And 1/12 scale? It would look good on the beach next to my scale truck

Sorry bud I couldn't resist the pic and this is probably as scale as I possess for now.

P.S.: I love the grill and table.

Thank you! Cool truck! (Hummer?) Is that a winch on the front? Functional? Looks like I should get busy and make a trailer for the pontoon.

Nope,it is just a toolbox.I needed it to fill in the huge hole between the lights and the bumper.I don't believe in winches for the 1:1 rigs either.There comes a point when hiking is quicker.Hehe

I hope you dont mind but I am so going to replicate this and build one for myself.

Heck, no. I don't mind in the least. I would consider it a compliment. I just wish I had some plans to pass along, but I don't. Sorry. Do you have an EP-1? Any outboard heavier would probably make her a little tail heavy. (or increase the lenght of the center pontoon and lower the center some for some extra flotation ) I have some 2 1/4" tubes that if I make another one I might see about the Stilleto outboard for that. But that would be down the road some. Thank you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast