Thread: Battery Heat

Default Battery Heat

I'm having some difficulty with the heat of my batteries, wondering if you guys have some ideas. I run a DF22 with an x440, Feigao 540L 10-turn, and x-power 100a ESC. Even just one 7-cell nimh seems to get quite hot, so I was hoping maybe you had some ideas? I'm planning on running with 2 six cells in series, so I'd like to fix this. Any advice will be graetly appreciated, please and thank you!

The heat is common on nickel batteries, the only way to stop it is to get rid of them and upgrade to lipos or prop down bringing your amp draw down. I know some even with the supervee and good 4200 cells, they still heated up. Also don't let the cells dump beyond 80% the last 20 always produces an immense amount of heat for the cell. Hope this helps.

Jeff

Thanks alot. I might have been draining them too much. That should help.

What batteries are they? Could also have to do with how they are built
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

They are the 7-cell 4500s from OSE.

then they should be good I would look at prop size and also maybe friction in the drive train or the boat is just not running free enough
    Last edited by JimClark; 05-03-2008 at 10:52 PM.
    Billy Graham

What should I use to grease the motor bushings? Is it some special stuff? I have grimracer speedgrease but that's all.

I just use a light oil
    Billy Graham

Anybody know if trumpet valve oil would work? It's definitely a light oil.

Default re :

Quote Originally Posted by OJ racer View Post
    Anybody know if trumpet valve oil would work? It's definitely a light oil.
    When I was in High School marching band [ mid last century] we would carry a valve oil bottle filled with Scotch whiskey in our band uniforms. Not too good for the valves, but kept us warm in the end zone during the game
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono