Thread: Need some help with Lipos

Default Need some help with Lipos

I could really use some help. I currently have the King Of Shaves P1 35 brushless. After alot of reading I found out that people were able to run 2 Lipos in there. I have a Venom 5400 20C 11.1V that I was running just as a single battery set up. I decided to take the (2) Lipos that I run in my Traxxas and run them in my Boat. These batteries are 5000 35C 11.1. After I made my wiring set up to connect from deans to Traxxas connectors I plugged the set up in.

Well lets just say it went POOF!!! for a lack of better words. Im new to the Lipo gig but the ESC the rec the crystal everything got fried. After replacing all of these components I decided to stay with the one lipo for now. Im confused I hear people saying they are running 4s twin lipos and 6s lipos. What is the max I can go? Did I over do it with the 35C's? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Im looking to get alot more out of this boat but just don't want to keep melting this poor thing.

Thanks Tom

Did you connect the two batteries in series?! That is 22.2 volts! When you read the so-called two batteries people are refering that is two 7.4v batteries connected in series that makes 14.8v. Big difference! I have the boat and the stock 60 amp ESC will take 14.8 volts ok. When you want to use two 3s 11.1 v batteries you want to connect them in PARALLEL, double the capacity but voltage remains the same as 11.1 volts! You gain longer run time, but you wouldn't burn your ESC, motor, etc. because the voltage is not changed.
    Now, you said you heard people said 4s twin, that is running two 4s batteries connected PARALLEL, still 14.8 volts!
    I am not sure about the story regarding 6s, my guess is two 3s running PARALLEL.
    To run 22.2 volts you need a lower kv motor---assuming you are running the stock 2000kv, in fact, the box says 5s is max for the stock motor. I have a replacement motor because i burned the motor when it tangled up the water hose inside the boat. Not sure about the ESC, at the very least you need to disable the BEC circuit. I won't run 6s with that 60 amp ESC myself.

Jumping from 20c discharge rate to 35c should not pose a problem, my guess is that you connected the batteries in series.

Default Lipos

How do I connect them parallel? Im thinking I might have done this wrong before but I want to really make sure this time.

Here's a quick drawing of both series & parallel. I hope this helps.