Thread: Trying to use a Impulse 26 as a retrieval boat. need help

Default Trying to use a Impulse 26 as a retrieval boat. need help

hello everyone. new to boating. just got a mystic 29 about a couple of weeks ago and i was thinking about using a Impulse 26 as a Retrieval Boat / rescue boat. First off i went to home depot and got some pvc piping and made me a rig. rig works great. but the boat doesnt seem like it wants o turn Left. and seems kinda underpower. i dunno what to do anymore. maybe a brushless system ? and i was using old battery like 2200 with the tamiya plug. can i use lipo pack ? what do i need to do ? i need a rescue boat. any had luck with the Proboat Retrieval Duck ?any suggestions and help would be great. Thanks

You're wasting your time with PVC IMO. Attach a tennis ball to some fly fishing line (because it floats and won't snag in the prop) and circle around the overturned boat so it snags the running gear. Then tow it in.

I had the retrieval duck. The concept works, but the duck is terrible. Mine broke in the middle of the lake trying to rescue my boat. Stupid thing, and it's tiny, so any chop will overturn it cause it's so top heavy, and it's friggin slow. The gaff it drags works well. You can buy the gaff and attach to your impulse. Done

Turning is going to be an issue with that boat being it has a standard rudder for steering, rather than a steerable outdrive like most people use for a rescue boat..with a standard rudder you need to be moving at decent speed to turn sharp, with a steerable outdrive it turns just at an idle speed. That could be part of your problem.

Post some pictures of your rig and maybe we can help
    The Speeders *PB SW 26 BL *PB Formula FASTech
    The Cruiser *CBM Marlin Cruiser
    The Pool Toys *Proboat Mini-C (x2)

I picked up the Impulse 26 as well however I am using my electronics from the Impulse 31. Running on 3s with Impulse 31 stock prop. She probably runs in mid 20s which should be plenty for a rescue boat. steering is pretty good too, much to my surprise.
    I am as well toying with the idea of using a drag line instead of PVC piping but cant think of where to attach the string and keeping it away from the prop.
    Sorry Chewwie419, I dont mean to steal your thread

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    I had the retrieval duck. The concept works, but the duck is terrible. Mine broke in the middle of the lake trying to rescue my boat. Stupid thing, and it's tiny, so any chop will overturn it cause it's so top heavy, and it's friggin slow. The gaff it drags works well. You can buy the gaff and attach to your impulse. Done
    I use the gaff from the Duck and attached it to a Traxxas Blast, which has a steerable drive and maneuvers really well. Works fantastic. I use a couple of drinking straws at the transom to keep the fishihg line from getting into the prop. Dragging a tennis ball also works.

Chief

Yes, drinking straws, bobbers, fly line floats, whatever. Make sure you attach it in the middle of the transom, otherwise the boat wont go straight when you are towing