Thread: Eagletree 150 amp to 300 amps in 15 minutes

Default Eagletree 150 amp to 300 amps in 15 minutes

You can, on the wire lead ET, loop 12 ga. wire from esc side directly to batt. side bypassing the board entirely for both the +100_0052.jpg100_0051.jpg and - . This will bypass current, about 1/2, and let it run much cooler. You now have a 300 amp logger!
    Those are 8mm connectors.

Next you need to access a Clamp on amp meter, clamp it around the battery leads and run the system up for 15 seconds or so logging the data and compare the amp readings between the them. The ET will have a reading of about 1/2 half of the clamp on meter.
    Now connect your ET to the computer, go to "Advanced programming" click on "Calibrate volt and amps" and enter the actual readings in the appropriate boxes and save.

That all there is to it! Welcome to the 300 amp club!

Recorded 283 amp burst with 192 amp average.
    Works great and is very easy to do.
    Try it you will like it.

Those are 8mm connectors.

Thanks for putting this up Jim! I will eventually make this change to mine so that I can get some decent data from my Q sport hydro...

Question – How does this change affect the logger when going back to P-Limited type set ups? Meaning is the fidelity of the readings equally good compared to an unmodified Eagle Tree Data Logger?

Thanks,
    Mike Ball

Is the current offset a percentage? Just wondering how thats gonna work??

Quote Originally Posted by oscarel View Post
    Is the current offset a percentage? Just wondering how thats gonna work??
    It could be if you wanted to scale the readings over the entire range measured. What ends up happening is the value you enter in after taking the half current reading will be offset to some degree, since wire, connectors IR and temperature are not compensated for over the operating range. But that amount is probably so insignificant who really honestly cares? I know, I know. Then whats the point of mentioning it? Just to put in perspective. This should be made in to a sticky for all to see if they want to mod their ET.

John
    Change is the one Constant

So basically you added a shunt and then used a clamp-on ammeter to calibrate the readings?

I used a load, light blubs at 40 amps, to calibrate. A higher load might be better, however I have had no problems. I haven't seen any difference from 4s to 8s. Remember we use these to compare different props, batteries, hull settings, ect. I don't care if it's 3 or 4 amps off.

Dumb question, what you happen if you added another wire in parallel with the
    first wire installed on the ET?

Thanks for posting this. Can't believe I didn't think of it myself. That will give me something to do tomorrow
    Everything that has a beginning, has an End

Carl, the idea is to bypass 1/2 the amps form the ET.

I did this quite some time back and it worked great on my systems that pulled high Amps but when tried with my lower amp setups I got data that was inaccurate sometimes and other times it was pretty close but for high amp setups it is a great modification and works well

Humm, I use it on everything from P Limited to S hydro and haven't seen anything, except the usual have to keep the sensor plugs clean on the Logger. They can cause strange readings when they get loose or dirty.

Jcald I tried everythng to get it rite but I no longer have the eagle tree as I just traded it to a good friend and most of my setups use castle hydra ice hv and lv controllers but I was wondering if you could shed some info on how you put the system under load for calibration efenpics will be great I am thinking about getting another one and my way of calibrating was a little different

I calibrated by using 20 car tail light blubs soldered on brass rods, left over from our Nicad days over a decade ago, equaled 40 amps at 12 volts on a car battery.Loaded it for about 30 to 45 seconds to allow the bulbs to warm up and get stable reading.
    How much load did you calibrate at?

jcald, any chance you can make a quick sketch of your schematic? I think I understand what you are describing, but I like to be sure. Thanks.
    Disclaimer: I hereby accept the potential loss of motor, ESC, entire boat, or credit rating, and forfeit all expectations of success.

Quote Originally Posted by jcald2000 View Post
    I calibrated by using 20 car tail light blubs soldered on brass rods, left over from our Nicad days over a decade ago, equaled 40 amps at 12 volts on a car battery.Loaded it for about 30 to 45 seconds to allow the bulbs to warm up and get stable reading.
    How much load did you calibrate at?
    So just verified with an EagleTree data recorder with 300 amp expansion and it's definitely very close!! I calibrated the elogger at 40amps while charging a lipo and once calibrated both recorders showed almost the same graph after a test run. Very nice find!

How high can it go??
    I just recorded a 372 amp peak for about 2 seconds when my 6s2p sport hydro submarined on launch.
    Don't want to do that again!

I was only able to get around 190 before the mod then the solder would melt off normally on one of the negative terminals. So that puts it around 380??? Did that spike have a flat top?

Yes!!

Going to try this thanks

A friend of mine bought a used ET on line that used a short 8 or 10 gauge as the shunt. Remember, the resistance must be the same for the additional wire, 12 gauge only and the same distance with a good solder joint.

Question, I don't have a high output charger, but I could in theory hook up my eagletree between my charger and the lipo pack I apply a charge to and then hook it up to the software in order to calibrate? My charger is capable of 5 amps max per channel.
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING
    Fine Design 32 V-Hull 4082+6s

Two-year-old thread, and the OP hasn't logged on in five months......good luck.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by dmitry100 View Post
    thats pretty nice.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Just waiting on parts, I am going to use a plane propeller to simulate about a 50 amp load on the motor with my shandard ETV4 150 amp logger to track. Then I should be able to take my modded ETV3 (Will be 200 amp version when I finish the modification above) and calibrate with the same load.
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING
    Fine Design 32 V-Hull 4082+6s

Quote Originally Posted by dmitry100 View Post
    Have fwd that link to my daughter .. father's day is coming up
    Wayne Schutte PhdCSE BaSE BaEE. Australian, & damn proud of it YOUTUBE
    @ 36" H&M Maritmo twin1512/1800 6S1P 88mph @ 40" drag hydro#1 twin 5692 12S1P .....always for fun @