Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dinogy Brand Batteries

Thanks Mark for the update!
    KartRacer ~ Dennis B
    Delta Force Pirate 35'~Leopard 4092~1480Kv~Seaking 180~2X6S 65C 5000 Mha Dynogy Lipo,Parallel

Hey Mark, I am looking for 2 5s 5000 packs for my meanmachine. I looked at your warranty and is says "The puffing of the whole pack because of over discharging or over
    heating." My question is what amp draw do you suggest I keep within? I will be running these in parallel. Thanks!
    24 R/C vehicles and still counting...What budget?

My warranty simply states if you get a pack and one cell puffs you get a new pack. Cell puffing is rare and almost impossible for all the cells to puff on there own. If the hole pack is puffed then that tells me you over discharged the pack and is your fault not the batteries. What amp draw depends on how long you want to run for. It's not the amp draw that hurts the packs it's the running the battery down to low that kills them. Find a setup you like and see how much battery you use up in a given time. We all start out running our boats for just a short period and then recharging the packs up to see what we actually used and then figure it out from your testing. It takes time and doesn't come easy trying to figure this stuff out. If you give your actuall set up lots of people will usually chime in to give you there results on the same set up. Hope this helps.

Mark

I have not seen it put that way before. Great information. Lipos are fairly new to me so I am learning as fast as possible to keep from catastrophic failure.
    KartRacer ~ Dennis B
    Delta Force Pirate 35'~Leopard 4092~1480Kv~Seaking 180~2X6S 65C 5000 Mha Dynogy Lipo,Parallel

Quote Originally Posted by MarkF View Post
    My warranty simply states if you get a pack and one cell puffs you get a new pack. Cell puffing is rare and almost impossible for all the cells to puff on there own. If the hole pack is puffed then that tells me you over discharged the pack and is your fault not the batteries. What amp draw depends on how long you want to run for. It's not the amp draw that hurts the packs it's the running the battery down to low that kills them. Find a setup you like and see how much battery you use up in a given time. We all start out running our boats for just a short period and then recharging the packs up to see what we actually used and then figure it out from your testing. It takes time and doesn't come easy trying to figure this stuff out. If you give your actuall set up lots of people will usually chime in to give you there results on the same set up. Hope this helps.

Mark
    How low is to low? Should i use only about 60%, 70% of the capacity? I have an eagle tree data logger I know my boat uses about 5000mah after a 6 min run.

I try to stay under 4000 mah on a 5000 mah pack. My packs are 8 months old now and I have put back 5000 mah twice on my packs and there still going strong. It seems I'm not the only one to get away with over discharging there packs and getting away with it. Having said that I still don't recommend anyone doing this because there's no garranty that everyone will be so lucky.
    Mark

Just for info...

Last edited by Gromov; 09-10-2012 at 02:37 AM.
    ecomaster.torgg.com

That's me in the top right hand picture. I still need to get those pictures up on my site.

Mark

sweet video
    are the Team Orion packs the same as the Giant Packs?
    I have the Giants and like them, but the seller I can't find anymore...
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

No they are not the same packs. I don't know why he posted that video in my thread. My packs are made in Hong Kong and in the video it says Japan.
    Mark

in the video.
    Mark
    This video just for info.

These videos are a few manufacturers. Orion is just a fun video out. So I showed it to people. To the battery which sells stamps - this video is not relevant. Just wondering removed
    LiPo battery production process. No more ....
    ecomaster.torgg.com

Mark, can you post data on your packs? What voltage under load is considered good?

Rich look at Post 25 in this Thread and you can see a bit about them,also ask propperchopper about them I think he has an eagletree data logger as well and he told me he aint using anyother brand of Lipo's other then these,in post 25 you can also see how they have a lower internal resistance then the other cell's,also you can get these in 5000MAH and 6000MAH and they are Rated at 130C Burst and 65C Constant,I know propperchopper told me he used Dinogy packs to set a new record as well.

Did you look at that SprayMax stuff I PM'd you about.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Mark, can you post data on your packs? What voltage under load is considered good?
    Rich, I'll deservingly accept any and all criticism for making the following, un-empiracally verified statement, but my "racer's seat-of-the-pants" (and trophy shelf) experience tells me that the Dinogy's have significantly less voltage drop under load than other batteries I've used lately ( TP, Hyperion, Turnigy, GensAce). I bumped my top speed (and set a NAMBA) LSO record switching to Dinogys; won the WW VIII JS class with Dinogys. Recently during a D19 P-Ltd Sport Hydro race I switched from a TP batt to a Dinogy batt and my closest competitor Tyler G said (as I was pulling his PT down the back straight) "What did you do to the boat, Tony ?" I used my 4S5000 65/130 C pack, that was all.

On another note, Mark was kind enough not to mention my name, but I'm the dumbell who over-discharged a pair of packs (and last Friday) did it again, with no apparant degradation.

Am preparing to order four more packs soon. Dinogys are my #1 choice.
    Last edited by properchopper; 09-10-2012 at 06:50 PM.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Thanks for the info Proper, I am just sick of dumping packs left and right and I think its time to buy more expensive longer lasting packs. Yet, the Dinogys seem to be at a price point that I won't break the bank. I love seeing graphs and charts with actual test data instead of "oh its a 60c pack." I really appreciate your imput here since you have some tropys to back it up!

I don't own any data logging equipment so I have to rely on what others have to say. Voltage under load depends on how much the load is. 3.7 is considered normal voltage under load. Thanks for posting that Tony and thanks to Jim Caldwell for doing the same.
    Gromov, don't worry about your post I just didn't want people thinking my packs were the same as Orion. The video is a good one to show people.

Mark

Thanks for the info mark. Do you guys leave your packs charged or do you store them after each day?

Hi Mark ,

What would the approximate cost of 2x 6S - 65/130C 5000mahs packs be , sending to Australia ??

Thanks Mate ,
    Brad
    Oz
    Roy Cooper's www.fastonwater.co.uk - Where Brittish Raceboat History Comes To Life !!!

Rich I try to put then on the charger set to storage but don't always have time to. I try to run all the packs I have charged up and just leave them that way untill I'm ready to charge again.

Brad the packs are $150. Each Shipping depends on how I ship but I would guess between $30. and $50.

Mark

Hey mark I'm a newbie to RC boating and will be running a blackjack 29, I,ve been looking at the turnigy 6.6 2s 130c nano-tech.My question to you is how do you compare the dinogy batts it looks like I'm going 2s to start off with.What kind of run times can I expect with the stock blackjack setup.I will be placing my order sometime this week so please give me all the feedbackn that you can.Also can you tell me what turnigy power supply to run with there new 4x6 lipo charger? thanks

The Dinogy batteries are better than turnigys. The 6.6 are 6600 mah packs and mine are 5ooo mah so there's is a bigger pack. I have no experiance with the black jack hull but there's pleanty of people who do if you do a search. Your run time depends on how many mah you have in the packs you run. It also depends on how hot it is outside because heat will build up even if everything is water cooled. You have to judge for your self what is safe by running for a short period and then see how many mah it takes to fill the pack back up. And also how hot everything is getting. For power supplys I usually go for the highest watt rating I can get.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    On another note, Mark was kind enough not to mention my name, but I'm the dumbell who over-discharged a pair of packs (and last Friday) did it again, with no apparant degradation.
    Did the packs feel puffy afterwards?

In LSH (UL-1 motor/esc, m445 prop) I have seen top name 5000mah 45c packs appear puffy after a 6 lap heat, but they were not overdischarged. Will these packs puff under same conditions?

Tony ran his packs down to nothing. There were puffed like balloons and very hot. Now there back to normal. Dinogy packs do not puff under normal racing conditions.

Mark

Tony ran his packs down to nothing. There were puffed like balloons and very hot. Now there back to normal. Dinogy packs do not puff under normal racing conditions.

Mark
    Both of my over-discharging events were unintentional experiments to determine if Dinogys are "Idiot-Proof". By definition, I was the perfect candidate to test this out
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Hey it's all about the team effort. You just don't know untill you find out.

Mark

do you sell the chargers for the batteries or can you tell me what to buy for them

I don't sell any chargers but I like the Thunderpower 820 charger. There are a lot of cheap chargers around but I don't have any experiance with them. Neu motors has some good charges on there web site that aren't to expensive that I think will work good. If you get one that plugs into the wall you wont have to get a power supply and that could save you some money.

Mark

Thank you Mark ..i am new to all this just building a boat now but i was told with my setup i need 2 6s 5000 mah 65c lithium polymer battery but i don't need them right now i see you have them ..when i get to that point would it be ok to pm you if i need help on understanding them and how to charge them

I like the Hyperion 720i ac/dc charger. I really like the ac feature for home charging. It comes with both Hyperion and XH balance tap. Here is a very easy demonstration that applies to most all Hyperion chargers.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ox3EpzvsJ8

Justski, anytime you need help just ask.

Mark

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast