Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Venom/Atomik New 58 Inch Electric Catamaran

I have a 58 segad with a gas motor i would like to change to electric. i'm not a racer but would be looking at about 45mph and a longer run time, with the ability to slow it down if my grandkids want to try it, and oh yea they want to try everything. not trying to change this thread, but it looked like close to the same boat.

I just joined the forum this week and have been reading it for 3 weeks.

Thanks for any help

Quote Originally Posted by wes777 View Post
    I have a 58 segad with a gas motor i would like to change to electric. i'm not a racer but would be looking at about 45mph and a longer run time, with the ability to slow it down if my grandkids want to try it, and oh yea they want to try everything. not trying to change this thread, but it looked like close to the same boat.

Thanks for any help
    Let me be one of the first to welcome you to OSE!
    Check around as there are a couple threads on converting your Gas Cat to brushless on OSE
    Also Steven sells a ton of great stuff for making this happen..
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

$1000.00???????
    WTF?!
    I feel for ANYONE who buys this boat.
    Thats the most ridiculous markup I've seen yet in this hobby.
    Can't say I'm surprised.

Then youll wanna upgrade....
    I could buy 3 of the new AQ Revolt for that price and give 2 to buddies to come run with me for the price of this, and be much happier with the performance and use of the $$

Keeping up with this thread is exhausting and starting to stress me out.....

Did you buy one, Forescott?
    If so, can I ask why?
    $1000? It just isn't there. Not even close.

Screw the dumb boat, Ill take Scotts old Chevy truck.

Thanks for any help
    Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    Let me be one of the first to welcome you to OSE!
    Check around as there are a couple threads on converting your Gas Cat to brushless on OSE
    Also Steven sells a ton of great stuff for making this happen..
    Didn't see the longer runtimes in your posting..
    you wont see that converting over to brushless.. sorry
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Thanks for any help
    Welcome it is the same hull, with the exhaust hole plugged up of course. The inside layout is different as well. I'm not sure how old your grandkids are, but I don't think this boat will be a good fit for young children. It will behave just like your gas segad does and will probably be a handfull for the kids. Plus the cost of the conversion would probably be more than a kid friendly RTR of a smaller scale. Something like the miss geico. Anyone can drive that boat with ease.

Quote Originally Posted by forescott View Post
    Keeping up with this thread is exhausting and starting to stress me out.....
    I feel your pain! Have you run yours yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Rumdog View Post
    Did you buy one, Forescott?
    If so, can I ask why?
    $1000? It just isn't there. Not even close.
    Yeah, its pretty pricey. We all know we can buy the same electronics from hobbyking for a fraction of the price. I guess I'm just a sucker for scale-looking cats.

Quote Originally Posted by LarrysDrifter View Post
    Screw the dumb boat, Ill take Scotts old Chevy truck.
    Thanks Larry. The truck has been my distraction from FE for the last 8 months.

Quote Originally Posted by EricSchlaifer View Post
    I feel your pain! Have you run yours yet?
    Nope, mines still in the box. I'm right in the middle of moving, so I've been too busy to play lately. Still contemplating the upgrades, and hoping you guys figure it out first!

Nope, mines still in the box. I'm right in the middle of moving, so I've been too busy to play lately. Still contemplating the upgrades, and hoping you guys figure it out first!
    I'm still debating voltage/kv/props. TBH I may keep running it stock and play with CG some more before I make my final decision. The only mod I've done was on day one, I dropped a spektrum receiver in it. Moving is a pain, I hope I dont have to do again for some time. Hope you get a minute to try it out soon. Its my first large scale boat and its got me hooked.

Can you tell me the propshaft size? I,d like to pick up a nice sharpened and balanced prop before i run it.

Can you tell me the propshaft size? I,d like to pick up a nice sharpened and balanced prop before i run it.
    5mm

Quote Originally Posted by EricSchlaifer View Post
    Welcome it is the same hull, with the exhaust hole plugged up of course. The inside layout is different as well. I'm not sure how old your grandkids are, but I don't think this boat will be a good fit for young children. It will behave just like your gas segad does and will probably be a handfull for the kids. Plus the cost of the conversion would probably be more than a kid friendly RTR of a smaller scale. Something like the miss geico. Anyone can drive that boat with ease.
    LOL, only if you buy the parts from venom!
    you can get a similar motor and esc from fightercatracing for much much less
    about 55bucks for the motor and a 6s 140amp esc for 50bucks, and that's a better esc than the stock one

and the layout? who cares many do conversions all the time, and this one has tons of room

That doesn't really matter, on the long run times. i just see some of you saying 3 or 4 min and i will be good with 10-15. i live on the water, so i can run my boat any time i want, sorry for you guys that have to drive to a lake, but it is a PITA when it stops and you have to go and get it. Just looking for some fun, and no the grand kids cannot use the gas motor, already tried that. to fast for them. they are 4 years old. if you don't understand this you are probably younger than me. Oh and if you think I don't know about racing I still race motorcross in the 50+ class and have been racing for 30 yrs, but I"m sorry i really don't think i want to race boats. hope you guys have a great time doing it. I have really enjoyed the pics and vids yall have put up on here. some of these boats are really unbelievable, and i know you work really hard at producing these type of racing machines. hope you can understand what i'm looking for now. thanks for the replys.

Wes777 there are a lot of better kid friendly boats out there that are not so performance oriented and expensive. You can shop around for little cats and deep-v's that take a single small battery pack and the hulls are plastic. If you want something that you will enjoy alone and then dial it back so you can drive it with your grand kids then most of the boats in the hobby will work for you if the radio system has a throttle end point adjustment (EPA). Simply reduce the amount of throttle the transmitter commands to the ESC to use and you have a governor for your kids. It just depends and there is a lot to choose from.
    VENOM RACING R&D

Thanks for the advice

I'd think this would be almost if not the most kid friendly FE boat on the market. Single 6s battery, slow, and big, so it's easy to see and most likely won't be flipping much due to its size and speed.

It could be I guess but it depends on your judgement and keep in mind we are talking about very young kids.
    VENOM RACING R&D

Rumdog, that is kind of what i was thinking, but right now, i'm going to try the gas motor again, and if i cannot get it to run the way i want it to i will be looking at a single motor with 6s maybe a pair to extend the run time, just run a small enough prop to where i doesn't over heat, then the kids can play with it , i will get something else.

If you want to run the gas boat (Segad was it?) you can add our compact clutch to it so it will idle. That may make it easier to handle with the kids instead of the direct drive. You can also limit the throttle easily to slow it down for them as you like.
    VENOM RACING R&D

Has anyone made a run vids yet? Im dying to see some footage!!!

VENOM RACING R&D

Thanks Chris but I've scene this. Was hoping that some of you guys on this thread who have this boat made some actual run vids.

was just on Tower Hobbies website and it says its discontinued.that was quick.......

Quote Originally Posted by bigcam406 View Post
    was just on Tower Hobbies website and it says its discontinued.that was quick.......
    You're right, that is strange. Surely someone got the wrong status update set?

It says discontinued because there's a problem with the Outrunner motor. Some of them had some bad epoxy somewhere in the motor And they are scrambling to replace them. I got a call from venom 2 days ago about this. They are sending out new motors. Or offering to ship the boat both ways and replace them for free. Yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by DK535 View Post
    Thanks Chris but I've scene this. Was hoping that some of you guys on this thread who have this boat made some actual run vids.
    That wold be nice to see actual vids and not some promo

Quote Originally Posted by bigcam406 View Post
    LOL.. the issues begin

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast