Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Venom/Atomik New 58 Inch Electric Catamaran

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    I think some of you need to relax, and maybe back off of Bill... These are RTR boats... none of them are perfect, and many of you have NO IDEA just how much give and take goes into actually getting one of these to market. You don't want to know, trust me!

Take these boats for what they are, evaluate what you want, and go on from there. Bashing the messenger isn't going to get us anywhere. We need MORE boaters and MORE people racing together, not polarization.
    Well put Darin. Look forward to beers and champagne with you guys at the nationals awards banquet.

Quote Originally Posted by iamandrew View Post
    Venon make crappy products, they are usually out of stock of critical replacement parts, and they are built to a price, in which will usually be Too cheap
    thanks for your opinion..
    I hope this one is a little different in the build and quality side of things (specially the gell coat) and I hope the motor lives up to the task of this big hull..
    I would like to drive one and see just how well or not it performs outside a video..

ps. my Gas KOS had tons of cracks all over in the gell coat..
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    thanks for your opinion..
    I hope this one is a little different in the build and quality side of things (specially the gell coat) and I hope the motor lives up to the task of this big hull..
    I would like to drive one and see just how well or not it performs outside a video..

ps. my Gas KOS had tons of cracks all over in the gell coat..
    You guys won Brushless 55 you've turned the world away from Venom
    By the way, you're only in Colorado. Are you attending the FE nats? You appear to have deep passion for our sport.

I can show you there how our products work
    Last edited by BILL OXIDEAN; 05-11-2012 at 09:14 AM.

Thanks for adding more useful info, Bill.
    B-55 Is posting his experience with the same hull as the boat this thread is about. I've seen a few of these with paint issues after running also. I'd stiffen the hell out of the hull with CF if you plan going any faster than stock.

Venom has been doing a fine job of turning people away from their boats all by theirselves. I mean.... Atomik

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by BILL OXIDEAN View Post
    You guys won Brushless 55 you've turned the world away from Venom
    By the way, you're only in Colorado. Are you attending the FE nats? You appear to have deep passion for our sport.

I can show you there how our products work
    I may go, but I'de rather be a high altitude tester for this 58"
    ( I know people with cash, and lots of it )

Quote Originally Posted by Rumdog View Post
    Thanks for adding more useful info, Bill.
    B-55 Is posting his experience with the same hull as the boat this thread is about. I've seen a few of these with paint issues after running also. I'd stiffen the hell out of the hull with CF if you plan going any faster than stock.

Venom has been doing a fine job of turning people away from their boats all by theirselves. I mean.... Atomik
    yes, the Gas KOS had massive gell coat cracks in it.. I sold it to a guy who has a boat repair shop up in Wyoming, who said he was going to redo the gell coat and paint it the way he wanted it to look.. (made some money in the deal)
    sweet looking hull from 10ft+ away, but 5ft and closer.. ouch
    I hope this one has better gell coat on it, and matched paint from hull to hatch

love to have a free one to put a 540kv in it and try 16s to see what could happen!
    I could sell a ton, if it turned out good..
    I brought a UL-1 to Lake Tracy a few years ago to a test and tune at NAMBA20, and since then, they have hosted the Nats and now have several FE classes..
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Maybe the brushless version of this cat will not stress crack so much due to the absence of a tooth rattling gas motor.

New vidio from atomik rc.....

Quote Originally Posted by forescott View Post
    New vidio from atomik rc.....

Dosen't look freakin' bad! LoL!
    I should have one at the nats..

Doesn't look too bad to me. Would be interesting to see one in person.
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Dosen't look freakin' bad! LoL!
    I should have one at the nats..
    Bill... remember too... that's a legal "Hydro" as well as Offshore...

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    Bill... remember too... that's a legal "Hydro" as well as Offshore...
    Now here's a guy not "taunting" but "tempting" me
    You know me, if I have the boat, I'll go 'head and run it. Hey, thanx for the class recommendation lol!
    From the Vid it looks like with some Oxidean magic it'd dang near hang in there as a hydro..

That looked half reasonable. least they did not do one of those videos were the person is trying to do figure 8s and trying to do sharp left hand turns in a small pond and you never see the hull up on plane

Hey Guys,
    Paul from Venom/Atomik here. Since we're three pages into the pissing contest, I won't acknowledge any of it, but will give you the facts.

This boat has been in the works for well over three years testing a bunch of different configurations.

This is meant to be a first big RC electric boat for the average weekend warrior hobbyist. The goal is to make it run on a cheapo 25C 6S 5000mah Lipo, at a speed comparable to our stock Gas boat. We know that higher voltage is always a good thing, but the average consumer has a programmable charger that goes up to 6S only. (Example, the Venom Pro-Charger, the various HK chargers, etc)

The goal was to get the most out of these components while not stressing them. At most its pulling about 100amps continuous, through the 120 amp esc. The motor itself typically comes off the water at 130 F or less after heat soak. Motor not stressed, ESC not stressed, and even the cheap 25C packs aren't stressed.

We have put a high quality CNC Aluminum prop on there, and have listened to the high end boating community and configured the whole battery tray and motor mount system to be able to upgrade to much greater power, should you choose to do so.

There was a comment someone said that there is very little porpoising or chine walking in the smooth water. We run this in heavier surf conditions too. Example, the other day we were out running with the wind blowing about 25mph, which was putting white caps on the local lake. Still handled it like a charm.

This is an RTR product. Keep that in perspective.

Paul Susbauer
    Product Manager
    Atomik-RC

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Susbauer View Post
    Hey Guys,
    Paul from Venom/Atomik here. Since we're three pages into the pissing contest, I won't acknowledge any of it, but will give you the facts.

This boat has been in the works for well over three years testing a bunch of different configurations.

This is meant to be a first big RC electric boat for the average weekend warrior hobbyist. The goal is to make it run on a cheapo 25C 6S 5000mah Lipo, at a speed comparable to our stock Gas boat. We know that higher voltage is always a good thing, but the average consumer has a programmable charger that goes up to 6S only. (Example, the Venom Pro-Charger, the various HK chargers, etc)

The goal was to get the most out of these components while not stressing them. At most its pulling about 100amps continuous, through the 120 amp esc. The motor itself typically comes off the water at 130 F or less after heat soak. Motor not stressed, ESC not stressed, and even the cheap 25C packs aren't stressed.

We have put a high quality CNC Aluminum prop on there, and have listened to the high end boating community and configured the whole battery tray and motor mount system to be able to upgrade to much greater power, should you choose to do so.

There was a comment someone said that there is very little porpoising or chine walking in the smooth water. We run this in heavier surf conditions too. Example, the other day we were out running with the wind blowing about 25mph, which was putting white caps on the local lake. Still handled it like a charm.

This is an RTR product. Keep that in perspective.

Paul Susbauer
    Product Manager
    Atomik-RC
    Paul, great to know!
    I have 6 6s packs for my TRex-600 that could be used for this rtr
    I assume you are talking of running two 6s 5000mah packs in parallel for 10,000mah?
    thanks

BL55,
    Nope, just a single 25C 6S 5000 is what we run, and we're also running 50C 6S packs. There are dual battery trays built into each sponson that you could easily parallel a couple packs up for long run time too. Those trays were put in there for that exact reason, or for upgrading to higher power setups.

To note, in heavy wind conditions, with how light it is with just a single 6S pack, she will pick up easily, so be careful heading into the wind. Dual 6S packs, moved forward slightly greatly helped that.

I don't know if anyone mentioned it, but the boat comes standard with EC5 connectors which is what we have been using in all our testing over the last couple years with great success.

Paul Susbauer
    Atomik-RC

Looks great in the vid..........................That hull is screaming for a 5692 1090kv on 8s2p!!!
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

Now here's a guy not "taunting" but "tempting" me
    You know me, if I have the boat, I'll go 'head and run it. Hey, thanx for the class recommendation lol!
    From the Vid it looks like with some Oxidean magic it'd dang near hang in there as a hydro..
    Billy... you KNOW you have to do it! Come on... you KNOW you WANT TOOOOO!! I might even volunteer to be your spotter!!

Question

Hey Guys,

Paul Susbauer
    Product Manager
    Atomik-RC
    Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    Paul, great to know!
    I have 6 6s packs for my TRex-600 that could be used for this rtr
    I assume you are talking of running two 6s 5000mah packs in parallel for 10,000mah?
    thanks
    BL55,
    Nope, just a single 25C 6S 5000 is what we run,
    and we're also running 50C 6S packs. There are dual battery trays built into each sponson that you could easily parallel a couple packs up for long run time too. Those trays were put in there for that exact reason, or for upgrading to higher power setups.

Paul Susbauer
    Atomik-RC
    the site claims 2000watts, and that pretty cool!
    2000watts / 6s = about 90amps
    most said to pull is 100amps continuous = about 2200watts, sweet!
    runtimes @ 90amp cont. = 2.67min
    @ 100amp cont. = 2.4min

no one on these forums I now of runs 25c 5000mah packs pulling 90-100amps cont
    that would = some hot lipos and under powered and or stressed electronics

someone on this forum or another talked about long or good runtimes with this cat...
    just sharing my thoughts

Hi Paul, are you affiliated with G freak? just wondering! spoke to one of your reps 2 weeks ago and was asking about your P1 56 inch hull, and was given a price for empty hull for $900. was wondering if these hulls come from MHZ in Germany?
    Do you know what the biggest problem with the world is?
    That the Smartest people are full of doubts while the stupid ones are full of confidence.::tt2

Quote Originally Posted by mappo View Post
    Hi Paul, are you affiliated with G freak? just wondering! spoke to one of your reps 2 weeks ago and was asking about your P1 56 inch hull, and was given a price for empty hull for $900. was wondering if these hulls come from MHZ in Germany?
    No, they do not..

Well guys, as a current Segad Brushless C1 owner all I can say is your $1000 dollars if far better off spent on a different boat if the same level of quality and care that is put into the Segad is also put into the Atomik. I'm one very unsatisfied Venom owner. Thank God I wet and bought a Spartan a week after the Segad, at least I get to have some fun on the water with that. Although, the Segad does look very nice sitting on the shelf. Excellent display model I have to say.

Quote Originally Posted by mappo View Post
    No we are not affiliated with them.

Quote Originally Posted by snapp32e View Post
    Well guys, as a current Segad Brushless C1 owner all I can say is your $1000 dollars if far better off spent on a different boat if the same level of quality and care that is put into the Segad is also put into the Atomik. I'm one very unsatisfied Venom owner. Thank God I wet and bought a Spartan a week after the Segad, at least I get to have some fun on the water with that. Although, the Segad does look very nice sitting on the shelf. Excellent display model I have to say.
    sorry to hear that bro!

Hey guys,
    Its been a while since my last post and having read this thread so far I'm reminded of why I have not posted in so long.

Thanks Bill for fighting the good fight for us and continuing to win and set records. What these guys don't know is that behind the scenes I have helped Bill with some battery advice and products off the shelf that have resulted in breaking records. What we dont do is brag a whole bunch about this stuff and we quietly go about our business and try to provide customers with good products and customer service well after the sale. What is our warranty on OSE boats and electronics? The Boats (all of them) are covered for 90 days from the point of purchase, defects, incomplete parts, damage from shipping, etc. The Electronics are covered for 30 days from point of purchase, defects, etc. If you buy a product and there is a problem with it just contact us right away and do not modify it or try to fix it yourself before you contact us, thats all we ask so we can help you and get you back out to enjoy your hobby.

As far as the Atomik/Venom name change etc goes its very simple. We have restructured the company's product portfolio and focused Venom on electronics and batteries while moving all platforms over to Atomik. Its no different than a car company like Acura/Honda or Lexus/Toyota. We recognize that Venom is a better battery and electronics brand and is better known for those products around the world. We want to bring forward more aggressive and interesting products and opportunities for our customers and that is better done with Atomik. We also have a new brand for toys and simple RC called Steerix soon to launch. As we expand our brand portfolio the products will get better and better as we continue to evolve. That just means cooler stuff to play with than before!

As for the Atomik A.R.C C1 catamaran this has been in the works for a very long time and its my personal project. If you have any questions go ahead and ask me. The motor is perfectly matched for this application and barely breaks a sweat while providing more than 3000 peak watts of power. The motor mount was designed specifically for you guys in mind...not kidding. The mount is a 3 part CNC machined water cooled unit that surrounds the bolt pattern with water so the mounting face has maximum cooling. You should be able to use your favorite in-runner motor with a 25mm bolt pattern. I designed the outrunner motor with extra cooling as well. In testing we saw loads of around 90 to 110 amps while giving the boat good speed comparable to the stock gas boat and faster. That was the design objective nothing more. We wanted to use most of the same proven components from the gas boat so we had maximum compatibility and fewer skews for dealers to handle.
    The interior is entirely new made from laser cut plywood and sealed. The battery tray is for a 6S pack in the center but as Paul explained the sponsons have been given their own independent battery trays so you can do anything you like. In any case the battery packs are as low as needed for even better handling with the freedom to adjust the CG fore and aft. The boat is very light a we have pointed out so with nearly twice the power of the gas version and much less weight the net result is faster top speed and better handling even in rough conditions.

This boat was designed for the guys who want a larger turn key solution and in some cases may not be able to run gas boats in their lake. To build this boat with higher quality performance parts is totally doable but the cost is even more prohibitive. I have seen modified version of our hull with Scorpion motor and CC ESC's and the price is basically double. We have managed to keep the cost low and hit a sweet spot for performance for the average customer whether that customer is new to the hobby or has some experience. The boat is simple and does what its supposed to do and nothing more. We have also provided a platform for more experience boaters to take it to the next level if they choose. Its taken us some time for the components, quality and capability to all line up so we could produce this new boat and finally its here and we are the first to do it commercially.

@ Brushless 55
    Yes by your math if you held the throttle wide open until the pack quits you would have a couple minutes of runtime. I dont refute that but in practice when you drive an RTR like this and back off in turns and drive it around we get 5-7 minutes or more. If you add more capacity you will get longer runs over 10 minutes. The 6S pack, ESC and motor temps all come off well under our safety limits or we would have not released this product.

@snap32e
    I'd be happy to hear about your product problem and help in any way I can. Please PM me and let me catch up with what happened so perhaps we can get you going again.

I'll be real candid here for a moment. The #1 reason we have had so many complaints in the recent past that have blown up on any of the popular forums is due to customers who did not follow our directions. They did not simply check if set screws are tightened with thread lock or they tried to fix/modify something then complained later when we wouldn't replace it. We have been extremely fair to most if not all of our boat customers (I'm singling them out) to the point of losing money just to help them and we have caught nothing but grief for it. So I say this with all sincerity just read and follow the directions and contact us when a problem comes up and be honest about whats going on with the product. He have all kinds of stories for days about people claiming "this is how it came".... no, it didn't come with pre-blown up electronics and modified parts from another boat Sir, I'm sorry we cant help.

We are very pleased to bring you the new Atomik Cat, enjoy.

Chris
    VENOM RACING R&D

Ive been pretty happy with both my c-1 and p-1. Tower has the arc in limited stock as of today, and hopefully I should see mine after the holiday.

Just got mine yesterday

And not in the water yet.........???

Whats the hold-up?

Outta town for the weekend, and it wouldnt fit in the car!

Hi all. I'm a new Venom dealer and got a couple of the ARC's in last Friday. Ran the snot out of them all weekend! Out of the box they work fairly well. I think it will be a hit with the weekend warrior crowd. COG is a bit high with the stock battery location, I'm going to run two batteries and move them to the sponsons. I'll let everyone know how it works out. I'm also working on changing the motor out for something in the 500KV range and plan on running 12S. This big boat definitely needs more power than the stock electronics can provide. Overall I'm very pleased with the package Venom has put together and hope this boat is a sign of what is to come.

Sounds great Eric keep us posted on your progress.
    For the speed/performance out of the box the stock 6S arrangement is good enough to wet your appetite for sure. The ARC hull definitely has more speed potential but this is left up to more experienced boaters because this gets dangerous with the amount of power we are talking about. Your doing exactly what this boat was intended for so that's good to see.
    VENOM RACING R&D

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast