Thread: flex shafts and motor couplers

Default flex shafts and motor couplers

I've lost 3 flex shafts within a months time while running my KOS. Two have snapped and the 3rd one fell off so I'm looking to replace my shafts with after market shafts.I'm new to boating therefore I'm not knowledgeable of the correct sizes and my local hobby shops are no help. Can anybody recommend descent couplers and shafts to run with my stock motor while I'm in my learning curve?

If they are falling out then make sure you are using locktite on the set screws. If that doesn't solve the problem then get 2 1/8" collets from your LHS and install them after the coupler but before the stuffing tube. Then at least if the coupler doesn't hold you won't lose your shaft.

Or you could get a set of wire drives and couplers from Jeff Wohlt. They are stronger, no maintenance, no left or right cables and the couplers are better too. Here is his website: http://www.rcraceboat.com/ Be sure to tell him what boat it is for! They do leak just a little bit though so you might have to put a piece of shrink tube on the stuffing tube or something. I did that along with a dry sponge to soak up any drops.
    Real men have shafts.

Thanks for the reply. I used the collets off of my revo once I figured out they were the same size as the shaft. thanks for the much needed advice it's gonna go along way into helping me get into the rc boating world.

Mova,
    Could you please advise how the shafts were breaking, specifically where on the shaft they were breaking?

Paul Susbauer
    Venom Group International