Thread: Apache transformation?

Default Apache transformation?

Hi guys,
    I have an Apache 24 that I would like to turn into a decent FE boat. I already have a leopard 3650, 2930kv brushless motor with a 120 amp esc, planning on running 2s, possibly 3s lipo. What are the next steps to transforming my apache?
    Thanks,
    Ben

Quote Originally Posted by takeaim17 View Post
    Hi guys,
    I have an Apache 24 that I would like to turn into a decent FE boat. I already have a leopard 3650, 2930kv brushless motor with a 120 amp esc, planning on running 2s, possibly 3s lipo. What are the next steps to transforming my apache?
    Thanks,
    Ben
    The apache isn't the overall best boat for brushless power, but it can work. The hull wasn't designed to handle the speeds of brushless power. I do however believe their are a few threads on moding them and overcoming any potential problems. I don't trust brushless + plastic, so reinforcing the hull with some f/g or c/f would help a lot. I also believe the stock steerable outdrive may become an issue. I actually slowed my apache down further then it comes stock. I would guess I'm getting about 7mph at most if that, but its the most reliable and important boat in the fleet and turns the most heads.... I converted it to a rescue boat!

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet
    "It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves"

Quote Originally Posted by takeaim17 View Post
    Hi guys,
    Thanks,
    Ben

If you have the stuff already put it in keep it easy, and maybe upgrade the prop, when you want more upgrade to a fiberglass boat, I would just not stick a lot of time or money in that hull.

I already have one homebuilt FE wooden hydro that runs great but I really want to turn this apache into something worthwhile.

I just gutted it so everything is open as others have done. I think the next step is to get some fiberglass and reinforce the hull. After that, I was thinking about getting either a flexshaft or wire drive system and locking the outdrive in a straight position. Then use a side rudder as others do. What side rudder should I get? Any other ideas/advice?
    Thanks