Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OutBoard BlackJack

Default OutBoard BlackJack

I was about to toss my battered BJ Hull, but I decided to experiment with it on 15 beat up nimhs 3600 cells which was originally 18 but 3 blew up in the boat from setting the esc to high, the original BJ Motor and a chipped SV nitro 437/3 prop I got 31mph out of her...it's a fun boat so now I think I'll order a new BJ hull and just keep at as a fun boat.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Samuel Johnson - “An injustice anywhere is an injustice everywhere.” William Cooper "listen to everything, read everything, and believe nothing unless you can prove it in your own research!"

interesting.
    but one thing the BJ already handles like crap and and seems to drive like its top heavy. i think the OB would overdo it every turn.
    EYEKANDYGRAPHICS

www.rclipos.com

Not at all...it seems like the 3 blade gives stability and it doesn't dive to the right sponson like with the torque from a 2 blade, plus I extended the distance the prop is from the transom....
    Samuel Johnson - “An injustice anywhere is an injustice everywhere.” William Cooper "listen to everything, read everything, and believe nothing unless you can prove it in your own research!"

Men, what kidda motor is that, it looks cool is it brushless with every thing to install or you put it together.

What Happend To The Bow ???? Looks Killer W? A Outboard On It
    snort pixi sticks=symptoms-:

Quote Originally Posted by kburrows View Post
    Men, what kidda motor is that, it looks cool is it brushless with every thing to install or you put it together.
    It's an Aquacraft EP1 with the BlackJacks Brushless in it. Max the hull got beat up in my pool..I was gonna toss it but I changed my mind and I ran out of 5 minute epoxy so I used liquid steel to seal the seams...Yep I like how it looks, I think now I might get 2 hulls do a single out board and a dual....I might run 2 ammo 3640's 3900kv on 2s lipo each for weight reasons, spinning some 430l/r props
    Last edited by RCprince; 04-30-2008 at 06:39 PM.

twin ammos on a bj would be sick

rcprince, I was thinking of doing the same thing. I have a 30 cat looking something like the Skunkworks hull except it has a standoff on the rear. I want to put a EP1 on there.

What the largest brushed and BL motor the EP1 will take? I'm not looking to overpower it but I want to know my limit. I have a 9L, but i think it will be too small for a 30".

I was also thinking of the dual setup with 2 brushed motors on a traxxas/novak EVX. maybe some titans out of a villian.

I also looked at the Graupner Z-drives too. give that inboard look.

I wasn't looking for speed, just extreme scale looks.
    My prop hasn't been wet in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by crazzy maxx View Post
    twin ammos on a bj would be sick

calcagno45 I placed a 9l and 5s running a 637 prop(i changed the prop shaft to an octura 3/16shaft some sanding to make it fit the stock bearings) and it flew on my sv, but I couldn't stop it from chining so I give up. The L size Feigao 3mm shaft is a direct replacement over the stock 55o mtr. The weakest link I must stress are the "brass Gears" you've gotta mesh them right, what I'm finding out is by using my low kv BJ motor(I had to drill out the motor drive dog: also brass to 5mm for the shaft to fit) works perfect I'm guessing because of the low start up rpms...just guessing I'm going put a 5s on it and see what happens. But the outboard housing can basically fit any 36mm can with 25mm diameter nut spacing S and L feigaos would fit, the XXL would need a larger motor cowling. Also Steve here on OSE Sells the replacement gears. Australians seem to like outboard Cat racing
    http://www.aopc.com.au/media/index.html

Last edited by RCprince; 04-30-2008 at 10:59 PM.

you got any pics of how you mounted it as far as how high and where at in relation to the bottom of the sponsons or tunnel?

I just followed these directions http://manuals.hobbico.com/aqu/aqub7861-manual.pdf

say how quick is it with the outboard, i like the look but does it perform, oh cah you trim it. up and down i mean.

I have twin EP1's mounted on the back of a Mean Machine I am using the latest Traxxas EVX(part# 3020) & it runs pretty nice! Not real fast but fun! Over the winter I upgraded to 19 turn motors but haven't had it in the water yet! Maybe this weekend if it doesn't rain!
    We did it with a Bang!

Cats Are Where It's At!

Yea I got mines off of 2 profisherman's I had..I I tried 17 turn 15 turn, 12 turn and even traxxas marine 550's..but nothing performed like the feigao 9l..so I'll just stick with Brusshless..plus the benefit of no brushes. Eodman post some pics of It

I also moved the motors out behind the sponsons ... they were in the tunnel! Don't have any updated pictures with the new location but here's an older picture!

I have two SV motors that I was considering using. I think I have to take the dogs to a machine shop here in town for the holes to be drilled! This is just a summer fun boat!

In our fleet we have a :

Traxxas Villian EX
    2 Supervees
    Mean Machine(w/ outboards)
    Toysport Twin drive
    H & M Mono

My son wants to build a MM with Ferrari graphics this summer .... we'll see how the report card shakes out!
    We did it with a Bang!

Cats Are Where It's At!

Eodman, I read through your builup in the thread you had. Sounds like fun and I can wait to do mine. Which props are you running? And have you run it since moving the motors to the outer sponson?

I was thinking of a single with a 9L on maybe 10-12 cells on my 30" cat? What do you guys think?

sweet Eod....I'm researching where the optimum position are for the outboards on many if not a duallies I see them right behind the sponsons...Also I'm still looking for a machine shop to make me some gears out of the material auto differentials are made of...because I'd love to drop some Neu 1512's spinning counter 442 or even some cmdi's 4bladers the scale look....wow....Just salivating thinking of it.

I like the look of the twin OBs. Has anybody tried twin inboards on a BlackJack? Seems to me like the bigger gasser might be a better hull for that kind of mod. Next question, would I need a radio that would allow throttle/steering mixing with twins? Left rudder also slows left drive kind of thing? Might as well throw in a couple of servos for trim control too.

ajustible trim wouild be great. ultimate idea

Last edited by RCprince; 05-03-2008 at 02:31 PM.

Looks nice, but I cant read the specs on it.

RCprince- how does a Titan 550 fit in there? I have 2 EP1's on the way. I'm thinking of starting with the motors it comes with on a EVX with 12 cells. But I dont know if those stock 550's can take the 14.4v's, so I might swap in some Titans.

Also, would it be best to use a servo on each motor? or a large single servo?

I'm not sure if the stock 550's can take 14.4, it was recommend you use a 7 cell, not sure if that was because of esc limits..all 540, 550, 05 size cans will fit as long as they come with the regular 3.2 mm shaft...or you'll have to drill out the drive dog that fits the motor shaft.

PS I redid the link for the English version.

Calcagno..what are you gonna put the ep1's on?

A 30" Cat similar to the SKunkworks hull. I'm looking for suitable props tho.

Are you running 1/8 or 3/16 props?
    Last edited by calcagno45; 05-04-2008 at 07:01 PM.

I run both, for some reason 3 blades seem to give me better performance....Plus on all real outboards they always run 3 blades or more, reason being I believe the width and and height of the foot interferes with water flow by leaving a traction void in the props pulling effect so three blades help increase surface area when one blade is behind the foot you still have 2 pull water around it. I run the aquacraft nitro super vee 437/3's carbon and a x632, y535 and a x637.

how did you get the 3/16's props to work? the shaft is 3mm or close enough to 1/8?

3/16" would open up my choices on running duals counter rotating.

I used an octura I think it was a 4mm to 3/16th threaded end shaft, i just sanded the 4mm side down some to fit the bearing and gear.

any link to this?

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...rod=oct-ocgcss another thing once you widen the plastic resin stopper that the shaft comes out you can't use the regular shaft any longer, darn I need a lathe/mill. also the largest prop you'll get after you remove the water pick- up is a 40mm I believe. I had 2 ep1's and I cut off piece of the ride plane to fit a 645mm on one of them.
    Last edited by RCprince; 05-05-2008 at 11:24 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast