Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 151 to 180 of 184

Thread: Finally scored one- setting up for NAMBA P-Ltd Cat Sprint race

  1. #151
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    fl
    Posts
    9

    Default

    THANKS for all the great information propper/larry(good luck this weekend btw; larry) Guess i have to get the 'maxxed out' thoughts outta my head (just natural;lol) and get into tuning up some props and work on the ride with the power i have............

  2. #152
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    fl
    Posts
    9

    Default

    BTW...........what is the 'danger zone' when it comes to checking electronics temps???? Did i read that anything under 125* is safe.....????

  3. #153
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    ca
    Posts
    6,793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedcrew727 View Post
    THANKS for all the great information propper/larry(good luck this weekend btw; larry) Guess i have to get the 'maxxed out' thoughts outta my head (just natural;lol) and get into tuning up some props and work on the ride with the power i have............
    At first it's fairly common to want to chase the speed demon. With so much power available it's not hard to do. Overpowering entry-level rigs is where some start, then building dedicated gofasters may follow with more experience. If your path leads to club racing you may find a whole other world of FE excitement opens up for you.Whatever gets your toes to tappin' is good !

    As far as motor temp is concerned, conventional wisdom (whatever that is) often cautions temps over 135 Deg. F should be avoided although higher end motors can sustain higher temps but bear in mind the duration of extended temps also plays a role.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

  4. #154
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    67

    Default

    Hi Nitro I used too Top Gas Drag Bike out in the West .

  5. #155
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    fl
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Any thoughts on hull reinforcement. I know there are numerous posts on this subject, but was more interested on it pertaining to MC hull. I'm more interested in getting the bottom of the 'tub' a little more secure. My thoughts were maybe using the 2 part foam to get between the hull and tub bottom by drilling a couple holes in various places to apply it as even as possible(and as little as possible at a time). Next line the tray area with some CF/resin combo to help strengthen a bit more and cover the holes. Is there anything located under the tub to worry about damaging with drill/foam or is it pretty much hollow??? If I'm going to put the effort into the tube area with the foam, should I just plan on taking it all the way-doing the front of the hull also(as it seems pretty flimsy also)???

  6. #156
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    ca
    Posts
    6,793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedcrew727 View Post
    Any thoughts on hull reinforcement. I know there are numerous posts on this subject, but was more interested on it pertaining to MC hull. I'm more interested in getting the bottom of the 'tub' a little more secure. My thoughts were maybe using the 2 part foam to get between the hull and tub bottom by drilling a couple holes in various places to apply it as even as possible(and as little as possible at a time). Next line the tray area with some CF/resin combo to help strengthen a bit more and cover the holes. Is there anything located under the tub to worry about damaging with drill/foam or is it pretty much hollow??? If I'm going to put the effort into the tube area with the foam, should I just plan on taking it all the way-doing the front of the hull also(as it seems pretty flimsy also)???
    No doubt one of the enjoyable aspects of this hobby is performing mods/upgrades to stock rtr's, and I have no intention of discouraging you from reinforcing your hull if that's what you choose to do- BUT if you want my opinion (based on lots of experience on the race course) I'd say it's not necessary, particularly if you keep the power system in a sensible realm (e.g. AQ 1800 or 2030 KV motors). If you succumb to the temptation to overpower it, besides getting an ill handling beast you'll eventually find the hulls weak spot(s). Reinforcing some areas will just make the next spot succumb to impact damage . I've raced my hull for four years in heavy traffic, sustained LOTS of hits (see post 132 in this thread), and performed a relatively easy repair, and I'm going into my fifth season with this same hull. I've actually got a second hull (purchased used for a reasonable amount) just in case my original hull is damaged beyond sensible repair which seems a better idea to me than trying to reinforce my original hull.
    As long as I'm at it, let me say that one of the plusses of the MC hull is that it employs monocoque construction which results in a highly rigid chassis. Foam inside won't appreciably enhance this rigidity, and in a crash the foam won't prevent the outer shell from splintering at the point of impact.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

  7. #157
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    fl
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Gotcha-thanks again!!! New issue-I'm finding im having a problem in the alignment dept. To the eye, you can see that the stuffing tube isn't lined up the best(height seems ok, but veering off to the right side pretty bad) with the motor coupling. This issue is causing the teflon liner that sticks outside the stuffing tube (bout 1/2 in worth) to get cut up on the end of the copper tube as the flex seems to be rubbing on it. Trying to gently bend tubing dosen't seem to help and I've looked around for the stuffing tube adjustable bracket, but that doesn't seem to be available or sold out since I've looked into it. This is how the boat came out of the box, as I'm about to replace teflon tubing for the 3rd time. I know alignment is key so trying to get this gremlin squared away. Any suggestions or remedies to get on top of this issue.............?????

  8. #158
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    ca
    Posts
    6,793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedcrew727 View Post
    Gotcha-thanks again!!! New issue-I'm finding im having a problem in the alignment dept. To the eye, you can see that the stuffing tube isn't lined up the best(height seems ok, but veering off to the right side pretty bad) with the motor coupling. This issue is causing the teflon liner that sticks outside the stuffing tube (bout 1/2 in worth) to get cut up on the end of the copper tube as the flex seems to be rubbing on it. Trying to gently bend tubing dosen't seem to help and I've looked around for the stuffing tube adjustable bracket, but that doesn't seem to be available or sold out since I've looked into it. This is how the boat came out of the box, as I'm about to replace teflon tubing for the 3rd time. I know alignment is key so trying to get this gremlin squared away. Any suggestions or remedies to get on top of this issue.............?????
    Often this lateral misalignment is caused, during assembly, by the stuffing tube rotating off-axis. The cure is to chip off the cement sealing the tube on the bottom of the hull (I've done this carefully with a ball-tip dremel bit), and do the same inside. Re-align by slightly rotating and re-cement the tube. I use JB Quick on the bottom & plain GFlex inside.


    DSC07253.JPG
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

  9. #159
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    ca
    Posts
    6,793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedcrew727 View Post
    Gotcha-thanks again!!! New issue-I'm finding im having a problem in the alignment dept. To the eye, you can see that the stuffing tube isn't lined up the best(height seems ok, but veering off to the right side pretty bad) with the motor coupling. This issue is causing the teflon liner that sticks outside the stuffing tube (bout 1/2 in worth) to get cut up on the end of the copper tube as the flex seems to be rubbing on it. Trying to gently bend tubing dosen't seem to help and I've looked around for the stuffing tube adjustable bracket, but that doesn't seem to be available or sold out since I've looked into it. This is how the boat came out of the box, as I'm about to replace teflon tubing for the 3rd time. I know alignment is key so trying to get this gremlin squared away. Any suggestions or remedies to get on top of this issue.............?????

    http://kintecracing.com/Motley_Crew.html
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

  10. #160
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    fl
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Proper-you are 100% right!!!Taking a closer look where the copper tubing comes out the bottom of the hull and to the strut you can see the 'twist' in the tube. I guess Dr. Dremelbit will have to prep for surgery.....lol!!!

  11. #161
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedcrew727 View Post
    Proper-you are 100% right!!!Taking a closer look where the copper tubing comes out the bottom of the hull and to the strut you can see the 'twist' in the tube. I guess Dr. Dremelbit will have to prep for surgery.....lol!!!
    I've found that putting a soldering iron in the stuffing tube for a bit softens the resin right up and you can usually just twist it out, no dusty dremel grinding required, though you will likely need to clean the hole up a bit after removal. Just another way to skin the cat. You might even be able to heat and rotate it if it just needs a little rotation

  12. #162
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    fl
    Posts
    9

    Default

    WOW-you guys were right on with going to the octura m445!!!! Ordered up a new m445 and also x445. Did some research and found the m445 may be the more 'refined' prop out of the package, so decided to start with that one. What a noticeable difference!!!! Woke that animal up quite a bit......thanks for advice!!!! Sooooo whats the difference between x and m style props besides all the factory flashing I can visibly see on the x prop??? I'll probably try and do some exploratory s&b work on 42x55......worth trying to detounge and sharpen?????

  13. #163
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    ca
    Posts
    6,793

    Default

    Real quick ; conventional wisdom is that Octura X props have some tongue which is useful to get heavier boats moving from rest. Now FE boats (the "F" standing for fast) usually don't (as in with the MC boats) require much tongue so de-tonguing an X prop (if no M version is available) will free up some initial low end and allow higher top end. That being said, in general, the Octura M props are de-tounged versions of the X prop of the same size and pitch. We've compared the 42/55 to the M445 on the MC for heat racing (did so yesterday in fact on a Geico) and the M445 is faster overall. The 42/55 was the go-to prop for P-Ltd OPC's a ways back and might still be..
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

  14. #164
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    vc
    Posts
    1

    Default

    How do you post photos on here?

  15. #165
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Wa
    Posts
    5,872

    Default

    https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...post-a-Picture

    Quote Originally Posted by wireless View Post
    How do you post photos on here?
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone – except God.”
    Billy Graham

  16. #166
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    ca
    Posts
    6,793

    Default Spy Photo of Ex-Rayzerdesigns MC in drydock

    Slow news day, so.....:

    The Ex Rayzerdesigns Motley Crew from Arizona, now part of the Los Angeles Cinquegrani Race Family Fleet (Driver : young Mike) getting refurbed-race prepped on the RCBOATBUILD bench.

    Now I get to be humiliated once again by this boat (but can only blame myself................)

    DSC07410.JPG
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

  17. #167
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    az
    Posts
    1,228

    Default

    if anyone deserved that boat it was mikey...though im sure tom loves electrics..do my ole race horse proud mikey..I will have to come out and see it race..hopefully we can get a few electric classes to run at the d-19 heat race in july

  18. #168
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    8,310

    Default

    Sweet, Tony! Makin it happen one new racer at a time!
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

  19. #169
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    9,465

    Default

    That bugger was fast in Colorado last year !
    Jesus is King .......NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

  20. #170
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    ca
    Posts
    6,793

    Default And the Beat Goes On.......

    This boat is like the Energizer Bunny - It just keeps Going, Going...Going...

    Easily the best $120 (used) I've ever spent - FIVE years of racing (plus a few motors)

    The 2016 SCSTA/Nitro/FE Series ended last Sunday, 8/28/16 and the MC Donut Hunter finished a respectable Second Overall (first place loser)

    DSC07564.JPG

    As a way of recommending this class (even though some conversations continue to discuss it's pro's and con's and rule updating), the first place winner , Mr. Russ Stark, piloted a basically store-bought stock Lucas (except for a T-120 and nicely done M445) and just ROCKED the oval with no other "race-modding/prepping."

    This series is just so much fun and Kim's food is so yummy that it continues to be one big bliss-fest

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhxLmlsqWPg
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

  21. #171
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Wi
    Posts
    734

    Default

    I just picked up a MC last week from the tower scratch and dent section $130 no esc and some slight scratches. I love it and was shocked when I first got it wet. Handles like its on rails. Wide open the whole time in an oval. Can't decide between a T120 or a 180, may just get the 180 for more headroom.

  22. #172
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    ca
    Posts
    6,793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mxkid261 View Post
    I just picked up a MC last week from the tower scratch and dent section $130 no esc and some slight scratches. I love it and was shocked when I first got it wet. Handles like its on rails. Wide open the whole time in an oval. Can't decide between a T120 or a 180, may just get the 180 for more headroom.

    This looks great, unbeatable price ; I have one going into a P-Ltd Mono oval raceboat for a customer right now -:

    http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...Raider+Esc%27s
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

  23. #173
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Wi
    Posts
    734

    Default

    Hmm those came down in price they use to be like $90 I think? I have 3 boats with a T180, so I might have to give one of the raider's a shot

  24. #174
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    ca
    Posts
    6,793

    Default It'll Buff Out

    Going into the first race of 2018 with my MC (which I bought used minus sparky stuff for $120 seven years ago) I came to shore a little too hot and impaled it on a metal starting table (ESC glitched & stuck WFO). Viking funeral planned. Pretty sure I got my money's worth

    ( & I just might repair it )

    MC Crash.jpg
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

  25. #175
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Wa
    Posts
    5,872

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    Going into the first race of 2018 with my MC (which I bought used minus sparky stuff for $120 seven years ago) I came to shore a little too hot and impaled it on a metal starting table (ESC glitched & stuck WFO). Viking funeral planned. Pretty sure I got my money's worth

    ( & I just might repair it )

    MC Crash.jpg
    Yellow duct tape will fix it Tony

    Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone – except God.”
    Billy Graham

  26. #176
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    2,849

    Default

    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

  27. #177
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    ca
    Posts
    6,793

    Default

    In seven years I'll be 80 going on 81 years old. Probably be drooling on the xmttr by then.....
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

  28. #178
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    2,849

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    In seven years I'll be 80 going on 81 years old. Probably be drooling on the xmttr by then.....
    gotta be good at something!
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

  29. #179
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    ca
    Posts
    6,793

    Default

    Couldn't let the old gal go to seed
    Scratch.jpg

    Buffed right out & SHE LIVES to race another day
    finished2.jpg
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

  30. #180
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Wa
    Posts
    5,872

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    Couldn't let the old gal go to seed
    Scratch.jpg

    Buffed right out & SHE LIVES to race another day1:
    finished2.jpg
    Nice job Tony

    Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone – except God.”
    Billy Graham

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •