Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Finally scored one- setting up for NAMBA P-Ltd Cat Sprint race

Dont'cha just hate it when you're leading the race and go upside down ? My new mod has that covered so I can keep going

DSC05766.JPG
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Hey Tony,

How does that air dame work?

hey tony..im really hoping to make it out there..im hoping to have my modern done also..would be cool to meet you finally..im sure you can give me a run for my money..lol//and thanks mr grimm

will you guys have power there..or a generator I can plug into..if modern isn't done..i still might come out with just cat..

Quote Originally Posted by longballlumber View Post
    Hey Tony,

How does that air dame work?
    So far so good ! Haven't blown over yet although not a controlled experiment since I never ran without it - I put it on when initially race prepping it before ever running it.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Quote Originally Posted by rayzerdesigns View Post
    will you guys have power there..or a generator I can plug into..if modern isn't done..i still might come out with just cat..

We'll cover you - we have a gen + others will too. At the SCSTA races only a few classes run so it's best to have 2 sets of batteries or be prepared to quick-charge at 2C since the heats run quickly in sequence.

awesome..i have plenty of batteries..and can charge at 20 amps..

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    So far so good ! Haven't blown over yet although not a controlled experiment since I never ran without it - I put it on when initially race prepping it before ever running it.
    ahhh, gotcha.

I think I just got your pic tony..looks to be a little top heavy...but great idea..lol

here she is fresh off the water last month in Tucson district 19 win..yes tony..trying to get out to cali before nats..maybe the 1st..still depends on work..btw..i never got your email with directions
    Attached Images Attached Images

gonna try testing batteries in sponsons..just to see if it changes way handles

Default 2014 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat Final and My Trusty Motley Crew Farewell

After finishing High Points in this series last year, I wanted to repeat this year but a bad case of the flu kept me from the first event so my points were insufficient. Raced the rest of the season with gremlins popping up (note to self : PRACTICE MORE OFTEN ].
    More gremlins at yesterday's final event so going into the fourth heat I got seriously determined to get at least one first place heat finish. Got a decent start but Dave H. dogged me for about three laps. Coming out of turn one on (I think) the third lap I gritted my teeth, tried to hold my inside lane, then kaboom. Both the CD and my pitman said keep going (I was sure I wandered into Dave). I took the first place heat win, brought her in to be drydocked until next season, but :

DSC06095.JPG DSC06092.JPG

I guess I'll retire hull 1.0 and deploy my backup hull (2.0) for next year.

DSC06096.JPG

I've never had so much enjoyment from a RtR boat ; took Second overall P-Ltd Cat in the 2012 FE Nationals, plenty of podium finishes all year, SCSTA 2013 P-Ltd Cat High Points and just plain grins all around.

Motley Crew 2.0 will be up & running and ready for next season soon with nary a change from 1.0 - it's just perfect the way it's been.

Tony

No worries, that will buff out. Congrats on the heat win though.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to use it in a fruit salad.
    PB BlackJack 29 / AQ Motley Crew / Tenshock Mini ECO / Phil Thomas Stealth

Hey tony..i know how u like to build boats..i got a few changes i made..u might like to try..

Default She lives !!!!!!!

After finishing High Points in this series last year, I wanted to repeat this year but a bad case of the flu kept me from the first event so my points were insufficient. Raced the rest of the season with gremlins popping up (note to self : PRACTICE MORE OFTEN ].
    More gremlins at yesterday's final event so going into the fourth heat I got seriously determined to get at least one first place heat finish. Got a decent start but Dave H. dogged me for about three laps. Coming out of turn one on (I think) the third lap I gritted my teeth, tried to hold my inside lane, then kaboom. Both the CD and my pitman said keep going (I was sure I wandered into Dave). I took the first place heat win, brought her in to be drydocked until next season, but :

DSC06095.JPG DSC06092.JPG

I guess I'll retire hull 1.0 and deploy my backup hull (2.0) for next year.

DSC06096.JPG

I've never had so much enjoyment from a RtR boat ; took Second overall P-Ltd Cat in the 2012 FE Nationals, plenty of podium finishes all year, SCSTA 2013 P-Ltd Cat High Points and just plain grins all around.

Motley Crew 2.0 will be up & running and ready for next season soon with nary a change from 1.0 - it's just perfect the way it's been.

Tony
    Decided rather than deploy the spare hull, to fix "old faithful"

Threw on some stickers & a pinstripe to compensate for the lost graphics :

DSC06102.JPG DSC06104.JPG

Default The Gift that Keeps on Giving

Season's over & the trusty MC takes Second Overall in the four event 2015 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat Series. Mike S. takes third, Dave H. sweeps all four races with a very stock"ish" Lucas, and Ray's El Fasto cat chose not to do the 900 mile rounder to enter each event and build points.

Four years of racing, Four podiums with a boat I bought used for $120.00. Limited racing is where its at

DSC07095.JPG

Four years of racing, Four podiums with a boat I bought used for $120.00. Limited racing is where its at

DSC07095.JPG
    Yeee Haw! :)

Nice work, Tony!!
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Those are some good looking trophies! These are the stories that make me call BS on those that continue to poo poo RTR boats.

Nice work Tony!

Those who "poo poo" RTR boats really haven't a clue.

Default New Look for 2016 Season

After four race seasons it was time. Also time to finally 'fess up to what motivates me the most:

DSC07162.JPG DSC07164.JPG

DSC07163.JPG

Ray - Don't forget what you must bring to the first event.......

So new season new bet?? What do i have to do this season.. Not sure i can top lapping the field in a limited cat class..but u know me.. Im always up for a challenge

Quote Originally Posted by rayzerdesigns View Post
    So new season new bet?? What do i have to do this season.. Not sure i can top lapping the field in a limited cat class..but u know me.. Im always up for a challenge

Geez Guy, didn't you read the fine print on the SCSTA Entry form ? : P. XII, 3,b, iii ; " Anyone who, during the course of a heat manages to lap an entire field must in the entire ensuing season add an extra lap to his/her race completion count, now 7 laps to the wire..." e.g.

Enough of a "challange" 'fer ya Mr. Fastypants ??

this might be fun...lol..see ya soon..and there might just be a faster cat coming..not mine..i just got my a.. handed to me..see if I can get him to come race la

Hey guys-new to the whole thing and getting into it with a rtr crew. Great forum here for helping out getting it goin. Getting into Setting up the hull/ride a little better and was just wondering about alterations to the rudder??? Proper did you replace because of all the 'slop' associated with the stock setup; or can same concept be applied to stock rudder.....????

Quote Originally Posted by wickedcrew727 View Post
    Hey guys-new to the whole thing and getting into it with a rtr crew. Great forum here for helping out getting it goin. Getting into Setting up the hull/ride a little better and was just wondering about alterations to the rudder??? Proper did you replace because of all the 'slop' associated with the stock setup; or can same concept be applied to stock rudder.....????
    Welcome Aboard

When I built the MC for the 2012 FE Nationals (I bought it used with just rear hardware) I popped on a spare Speedmaster rudder (bolts right on to the AQ mount btw) because #1) It had a water pickup (didn't like the sponson pickup) and #2) my thought was that a rudder with more blade area would hold it better while bouncing through racewater turns. It's been there since BUT I race with some folks who just use the stock rudder and it seems to work out just fine {which is another way of saying that I get my kicked by stockers }

My MC on top of spare boat with stock rudder & Proboat BJ in background

DSC07241.JPG

Thanks for the help. Another 'newbie' question..... Looking into getting it goin a little bit. Was wondering about the esc's??? Should this be upgraded before any thought of motor upgrade is considered??? And if the esc is going to be upgraded; is there any reason not to go ahead and buy the 'bad boy' 180a model(just to have the 6s 'option')and get it over with???? I've read that motor size isn't always the answer, but was thinking of the aq 2030kv down the road.....does it fit right in there with the original MC motor mount????? Anyway, sorry bout the elementary-ness of the ???'s, but any help would be appreciated...............

Thanks for the help. Another 'newbie' question..... Looking into getting it goin a little bit. Was wondering about the esc's??? Should this be upgraded before any thought of motor upgrade is considered??? And if the esc is going to be upgraded; is there any reason not to go ahead and buy the 'bad boy' 180a model(just to have the 6s 'option')and get it over with???? I've read that motor size isn't always the answer, but was thinking of the aq 2030kv down the road.....does it fit right in there with the original MC motor mount????? Anyway, sorry bout the elementary-ness of the ???'s, but any help would be appreciated...............
    The AQ 2030 has the same bolt pattern (25mm spacing X 3mm threads) and drops right in. The AQ 60A ESC is actually what comes with and powers the AQ 2030 in the UL-1 Sport Hydro and will be fine if you step up to a 2030 in the MC. We've run 2030's for heat racing but they've been unreliable for some reason so most of us run the AQ1800 and a nice prop like an Oct M445. May give up a mph or two but will finish the race.

Gotcha-reliability is key. Just been watching those 70mph MC's on youtube.....lol. Correct me if i'm wrong, but those guys run-times can't be very much??? Anyway, i have done some minor upgrades(reinforce motor mount, 5.5 bullets, ose flex, and 42-55 grim prop) and been working on the 'ride' a little. Maybe next step ought to be touching up the props?? Just found where the local club runs and gonna go watch them dodge the gators down here in fla tomorrow morning. Hopefully there are some guys running fe and i am able to see whats out there to learn from, but from what i heard its alot of nitro guys. Thanks again.............

Gotcha-reliability is key. Just been watching those 70mph MC's on youtube.....lol. Correct me if i'm wrong, but those guys run-times can't be very much??? Anyway, i have done some minor upgrades(reinforce motor mount, 5.5 bullets, ose flex, and 42-55 grim prop) and been working on the 'ride' a little. Maybe next step ought to be touching up the props?? Just found where the local club runs and gonna go watch them dodge the gators down here in fla tomorrow morning. Hopefully there are some guys running fe and i am able to see whats out there to learn from, but from what i heard its alot of nitro guys. Thanks again.............

Dylan,
    You're not wrong - pushing a nice rtr designed to go maybe 48mph up to 70mph is possible but not good for "all-around" running . The power now available with brushless motors and lipos can entice anyone to overpower anything. You could make a 2 X 4 go 70 mph, which btw is 102 feet/second - how long can you run until you lose sight ?

We run nicely sharpened Octura M445's with the AQ1800 motor and it works nicely. Always check temps when trying new props BTW.

You're in Fla - one of the coolest FE race Clubs ever is :

http://www.waveblasters.org/

Ken Haines is a really good guy so if you're anywhere near get ahold of him.

Dylan

We are running in Bradenton on Sun. Morning
    we are an all FE club
    WE are one this Forum here;
    https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...oat-Club/page3

West Florida Model Boat Club

Larry
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast