Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally scored one- setting up for NAMBA P-Ltd Cat Sprint race

Looks awesome Tony!
    what prop are you using?
    thanks
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    Looks awesome Tony!
    what prop are you using?
    thanks
    Todd, thanks. The prop's an M445 that's been modded some I'm thinking that the boat breaks loose and really gets going when the hull lifts the front steps out of the water - may not be the ticket for racewater and the headwinds on the back straightaway of the Legg Lake course. I'll be shifting the CG forward some but leaving the strut where it is so it lifts under power but I can set it down by backing off the throttle.
    Really looking forward to the Cat Sprint race - I know that there'll be some stiff competition with others bringing their top game
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Thumbs up

thank you for your info Tony..
    it really helps me setup my MC the first time out
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Default Turtle Tickler Air Dam

Just for a little anti-acrobatic insurance, I threw on what my guess is at what an air dam should be like. Somebody here on OSE, I forgot who, suggested a wiper blade. Seemed like a really good idea, so I epoxied one to a piece of G-10 & double-sided stickied it on in where I think it will do the most good Will test Monday on the hidden-wind backstraight at Legg.

DSC03257.JPG DSC03258.JPG
    Last edited by properchopper; 06-02-2012 at 05:54 PM.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Should work well, tony. You may have to make a few trim adjust ment after adding it, but it will help a lot in avoiding blow overs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumdog View Post
    Should work well, tony. You may have to make a few trim adjust ment after adding it, but it will help a lot in avoiding blow overs.
    Hope so. Nothing more maddening than looking good in a heat and then doing a backflip. At least the wiper blade( or maybe it should be re-named the Turtle Tickler) might be kinder to those hard-shelled mines lurking on the course

What a great thread for me, a Motley Crew owner. I hope to be able to do pretty much all these mods. If you could set me off in the right direction, what type of epoxy do you suggest? Did you put anything under the alum. angle, or is it epoxied directly to the hull? What is the thickness of the CF plate used on the motor mount? I have on back-order one of those tube support "goodies" too. I also would like to upgrade my ESC to one with more amp capabilities. I have a few goodies installed from Kintec, shaft, strut bushing, and thrust bearing. I have sharpened the rudder, and S&b'd my 42-55 prop. I was thinking of laying carbon fibre inside the hatch compartment too. Seems this boat would be one of the easiest to do that to. Very clean layout inside.
    Last edited by xlandguy; 06-03-2012 at 04:47 PM.

The ONLY epoxy I now use is West Systems G-Flex. The rails were laid in after scuffing the mating surface. The CF plate is roughly 1/8" or 3 mm. If you use the stock 1800KV motor (which I'd recommend) the stock speedy is fine; it's underrated at 60 amps. As I've mentioned, the boat right out of the box is a great runner - I'll be competing with some of the best tuner/drivers in the country so I took things to a level not really needed for sport running. Keep in mind that the boat was created to give an excellent level of performance at an accessable price point and isn't meant to be pushed over it's limits. Enjoy !

Thank you, and I have to confess. I am TOTALY going to copy your Red tips, too cool!!!

Quote Originally Posted by xlandguy View Post
    Thank you, and I have to confess. I am TOTALY going to copy your Red tips, too cool!!!
    While you're at it, the boat seems to need the addition of another red "highlight". Should be obvious from the picture

DSC03266.JPG

ok so what happened with the spoiler? back flip? been there done that lol
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    While you're at it, the boat seems to need the addition of another red "highlight". Should be obvious from the picture

DSC03266.JPG
    I definitely need to copy your idea on the tips Tony. Mine went under in about 4 feet of water on the lake up north last year and she came up with a tip completely missing (enough that the hull was breached a bit letting water in) must have hit a rock on the bottom - about 4 feet deep I guess?

What did you use to build up the tip? I have it sealed with 5 minute epoxy no problem, but epoxy is too thin to build up the tip to a point.

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger9D9 View Post
    I definitely need to copy your idea on the tips Tony. Mine went under in about 4 feet of water on the lake up north last year and she came up with a tip completely missing (enough that the hull was breached a bit letting water in) must have hit a rock on the bottom - about 4 feet deep I guess?

What did you use to build up the tip? I have it sealed with 5 minute epoxy no problem, but epoxy is too thin to build up the tip to a point.
    West Marine : expensive but what isn't about this hobby ? (this stuff is used to repair full-size hulls - fast cure, sandable and strong.)

DSC03273.JPG

West Marine : expensive but what isn't about this hobby ? (this stuff is used to repair full-size hulls - fast cure, sandable and strong.)

DSC03273.JPG
    Thanks! That stuff is perfect. It sets up fast and is ready to sand in 20 minutes! I found it at a place called Noah's (what a great name for a store that sells boat building supplies!) and fixed her up today. I also shamelessly copied your red paint idea for the tips of the sponsons. She's nice and perky again now.

MC.jpg

Another tip I got from this great thread was about the motor mount flexing forward. I noticed my mount had pushed forward over 1/8 of an inch. I added a piece of angled aluminum to the back side of the mount to stop it from getting bent forward while still being able to twist the motor upward a bit to make sure the motor lines up perfectly with the stuffing tube. I also have a thrust bearing on the motor to take the load off the endbell.

mount.jpg

Thanks for the posts! Helped me with stuff I'd never thought of!

Glad you got it fixed-looks good. Actually the red tip idea comes from full-sized raceboats; they're painted red (or orange) so when they go down they usually (hopefully) stay tip up from the trapped air pocket in the sponsons and can be found (or seen) and not be run down by other boats on the course

I've been getting alot of great info from this thread. I have a couple questions for ProperChopper. How do you think the strength of the hatch compartment is now with the angle alum, as opposed to doing the inside with carbon fiber or glass cloth and resin? I have been thinking of installing an OSE style motor mount, but as the "floor" is now, no way. Much to thin and flimsy there. Also, what about foaming the inside of the hull? Would this add strenght or rigidity? Ha, I should probably just forget it and get a DF, or Fightercat hull. Something already very strong and sturdy. But I do love my MC, and it runs great. I just like the peace of mind I get from strengthening and modding it to the max. You should see all the mods and such I've done to my Summit.

I don't know the hull well but, if it is and I think it is a double wall on the bottom, it would be fairly simple to make a slice down the middle of the inside and then you could shimmy in a wood plate the correct thickness with 30 minute eopxy between the 2 layers. Let id dry and the bottom would be solid as a rock. Of course it is easy for me to say this without one in front of me.

Just tossing ideas out there.
    Nortavlag Bulc

What about epoxying in a sheet of 1/8 or 1/16 plywood over the whole deck?

Guys... wood and epoxy and silicone are HEAVY... All this weight adds up...

If it were mine... I'd bore a couple of holes in strategic places, and pour in some 2-Part expanding foam JUST right and let it tie the surfaces together. You have to be super careful doing this, but if done right, the boat would also be solid, and you wouldn't add a ton of non-floating weight.

Frankly, I'd run it like it were stolen and let what happens happen! This is RACING!! Got to go for it to GET IT!!
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    Frankly, I'd run it like it were stolen and let what happens happen! This is RACING!! Got to go for it to GET IT!!
    Ha, but I don't race. Only run for fun and to show-off, lol. Or, to piss of the Park "ranger" that hates my boat and RC Monster Truck.
    I just like to mess (things up) around with my toys, making them as bullet proof as possible. I am going to buy another boat, higher quality in the near future. But I also am getting an amphibious plane so another boat may wait till after that. Maybe a Pursuit, but I really have my eye on a CF Fightercat hull.

Quote Originally Posted by xlandguy View Post
    Ha, but I don't race. Only run for fun and to show-off, lol. Or, to piss of the Park "ranger" that hates my boat and RC Monster Truck.
    You need to race! EVERYONE needs to race!!
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

I use 3/32" birch ply for motor beds on flexible bottoms. Easier than all that fiberglass/CF/Kevlar laminating and stronger in the long run. Weight for the MC just keeps it planted better; I'm running 2 x 4S 4000 mah for P-Ltd and keeps it (I hope) more survivable in racewater. Truthfully, the MC, and for the most part all rtr's are meant to provide max performance at an accessable price point but may not be as durable as higher dollar dedicated race hulls. Don't go crazy in the overpowering department, run it (or race it like Darin says) until it breaks, then go from there.

Thank you, no I won't go too crazy, I think maybe a UL-1 motor and and upgraded ESC will be about it in that dept. But, I may sand down and paint the hull this winter. Today I fabricated a motor mount brace out of flat aluminum bar stock. Really stiffened up the mount. Thanks for the idea properchopper. I didnt have any CF on hand so used the alum.

Guys... wood and epoxy and silicone are HEAVY... All this weight adds up...

If it were mine... I'd bore a couple of holes in strategic places, and pour in some 2-Part expanding foam JUST right and let it tie the surfaces together. You have to be super careful doing this, but if done right, the boat would also be solid, and you wouldn't add a ton of non-floating weight.

Foam is the way to go...no weight and adds a heck of a lot of structual strength... My MC has been driven to death in both bashing and racing, been flipped, rolled and run over and is still in on piece...other than the foam and prop, no other mods required to have one of the fastest P Spec Offshore boats on the water....but then again, fastest doesn't always win the race..

You need to race! EVERYONE needs to race!!
    Exactly....until you have tried it, you'll never know why we say that...

What type of foam did you use? And is there a good tutorial that anyone knows of on how to use the two part foam? Thank you.

Reinforced motor mount: got rid of the flex, and I enlarged the holes both where the motor mounts and where the mount attaches to inside of hull, to allow for some adjustment. I think my shaft lines up a whole lot better now. After a run last evening it seemed to run more smoothly, and after almost 5.5 minutes I still had good juice left when I quit. I am soooooo loving this boat. I have heard some say that "it only turns one way" or , it doesnt handle, but mine? Turns both left and right like its on rails. I love the way this thing handles, it is a blast to drive and a real attention getter. But pretty much any FE boat is, right?

At some point you might want to consider replacing the 4mm connectors from motor to SC with 5.5's. Just a little extra insurance.

At some point you might want to consider replacing the 4mm connectors from motor to SC with 5.5's. Just a little extra insurance.
    Blueprinting the wires where they exit the motor, where they make that nasty bend (the way Tony posted about a while ago) is a great idea too. I do it with all my AQ motors. Had a used UL-1 motor laying around I had bought a while ago and when I looked at it tonight, 2 of the 3 wires had bare spots on them.

Well Tony, your post impressed me so much, I bought a MC from a member here at OSE. I put a UL1 motor with a Sea King 120A ESC and a X442. 4S2P. All I can say is WOW!. What a great boat. 43 MPH. The X442 cavitated at the start so I will try a M445 next after I do some of the tweaking you and Mike (Longballer) have done. I ran this exact set up in my P-LTD Mono Impulse 31 with no heat issues.

Unfortunately, I can't make it over to Nationals but hopefully we can talk Newland into adding the P-LTD Cat class to the Winter Warm-ups. :-)

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast