Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Castle Hydra Ice 240 questions.

She's all mounted, secured and radio gear is programmed! Next step is to plug in the laptop again and set up the ESC and put this baby to the test!

I don't know if I'm dreaming or not but even sitting on the bench and testing the throttle it feels as if it has A LOT more punch than the old VXL6s. It's almost as if it takes near half the time to spin up to top revs.

Anyway, I should have a run within a week or two so I'll post back with results. I plan on running the current prop until I get the whole thing dialed in and running smooth before I go ahead and change it for the bigger one.

Great to see you're getting close to the maiden voyage on your new setup. I'm really interested to here your updates on how it performs.

Just one FYI, it is not recommended to run the motor at high RPM without a load on the system. You should only "dry" bump test for function and to check direction of rotation.

Kevin

New prop is here! Prather 220SS. I still need to give it a bit of a polish to get it looking blingin'.

Comparo pic against my other prop which is a direct replacement sized one.

Hopefully a run will come within the week!

Well winter has officially hit here and the levels of blue green algae are pretty high but hopefully with a few days off work I'll actually get some water under this thing!

Hope all goes well.

Give us a run down on your outing, there are a few other Spartan owners looking at similar upgrades to yours, I'm sure they will be interested in hearing how things go.

Kevin

I have a question, I have just installed a hydra ice 240 in my spartan and i am having a problem with the cooling lines. What size id line did you use and how the heck did you get it on the cooling tubes?

I use 9/32" OD silicone tubing (don't know the ID), but you have to use a lot of "lube". I use plenty of saliva on the inside and outside of the tubing when pushing them on the aluminum tubes. The lube needs to be on both sides or you'll never get the second line per side attached.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Yes it's overkill,but now I have a almost bomb proof Spartan just like everyone who upgrades to a hydra ice 240... Very nice setup btw on both boats! I have 2 Spartans now with the 240.... Lovveee ittttt ! Yea they're 300$ a pop but ,u wanna play u gotta pay lol
    Scott Spartan#1: castle hydra ice 240 castle 2200 Prather 220 turnigy 5.0 45c lipos with max amps water pump... Spartan#2: leopard 1800, octura 440 ,traxxas 8400 mah 25c lipos.....updated deeper hull....

Scott Spartan#1: castle hydra ice 240 castle 2200 Prather 220 turnigy 5.0 45c lipos with max amps water pump... Spartan#2: leopard 1800, octura 440 ,traxxas 8400 mah 25c lipos.....updated deeper hull....

Thanks for the quick reply. on the rudder side and the outlet did you just use a cable tie to hold the larger diameter tube onto the 3mm nipple?

ok never mind that last question i got it, i thought the lines would be a lot looser on the rudder and exit fittings than they are but i did put zip ties on them anyways. i think i lost about ten pounds of sweat getting both of those lines on there but mission accomplished. i did chet and used ky jelly (because it is water based) instead of saliva. thanks for your help on this.
    P.S. the lines are 5/32 id

Lol no prob.....and thanks for the info! Keep us posted on speeds and results! Good luck!

I have a Hydra Ice 240 and the non ice 240 for the Spartan. The Ice 240 is huge and does not fit, by a long shot in the tray. The non ice looks like a closer fit. How do I mount either one in the tray. Are there modifications needed? Certainly more dramatically with the Ice. Lookin for some help that I can't find so far.

Thank you.

i literally just finished installing the hydra ice in the tray and it does fit. the olny modification that i had to make is to remove the tabs at the bottom of the tray where the old speed controller sat with a dremel and to put four new screw holes to hold in the hydra ice. the hydra ice will sit on the bottom of the tray and it is pushed all the way toward the motor. you do have to remove the lid that is covering the reciever or i have seen pictures of people who have moved the reciever box into the battery tray.

Thts exactly Wt I had to do... It's not a hard esc to fit in there ....and my spectrum receiver is waterproof so there's no need for a radio box ...n

Thank you, Blaze. I should have wrote the the Traxxas waterproof box for the receiver was certainly the obstacle for the Ice. I'll try moving the reciever box into the battery tray. I use the Futaba radio and don't know yet, if they have a waterproof version, so for now, I'll move the box.
    Thanks for the advice.

Just finished using the dremel to cut out the old esc tabs on the tray. The Ice fits perfectly. Next question, should I run the batt wires off the ICE just like they were in the stock set up. I've heard of run batts in series or in parallel. Whats the difference?

A series connection (the same setup as stock on the Spartan) will double your voltage while capacity stays the same. for example when you hook up two 3S (11.1V) 5000mah batteries, the result is a 6S (22.2V) 5000mah connection.

If you run parallel wiring on the ESC the voltage stays the same, but capacity doubles. So the same batteries on a parallel connection would result in a 3S (11.1V) 10,000mah connection.

So if you run a parallel setup, and want to run 6S, then you need to purchase two 6S batteries. The plus is two 6S 5000mah batteries in a parallel connection provides 10,000mah capacity for longer run times.

What I like to do is install a connector on the ESC. That allows me to plug in either a parallel or series wiring harness providing lots of flexibility for battery configuration options.

Kevin

Thank you Kevin. I'm new to the sport and the help and advice from every single person I speak to, email, whatever, is incredible.

Have a great day.

Rob

i ran the same as the stock setup and use two 3s 8400mah traxxas batteries. i did reuse the stock wiring harness which i think was a mistake because after running it today i did notice the wires were very hot. i think you have to replace the stock wiring harness with 8 gauge wire but im not sure if you will still be able to use the traxxas connectors. one of these other guy would be able to give you better advice on this than me because this is only my third run with this setup.

I was told that I needed the larger bullet connectors around the boat because the stock traxxas plugs will or could melt along with overly hot wires.

Here is a link to some general info on RC connectors, it is a bit outdated and doesn't have info on some of the newer connectors on the market, but gives a good overview. They mention the Traxxas plugs, but give no indication what they are good for AMP handling. I have never been able to find a confirmed rating on Traxxas plugs, but have seen suggested capability anywhere from 40 AMPS to 150 AMPS. Keep in mind, sometimes a particular author is talking continuous amps, sometimes talking max amps, so you will find discrepancies when looking at ratings.
    https://sites.google.com/site/tjingu.../rc-connectors

I use EC5 connectors, which are essentially 5mm bullets in a plastic housing to ensure correct polarity and ease of connection/disconnect. EC5 connectors are good to about 120 AMPS average draw, 150 max.

5mm bullets are good for about 150 AMPS
    6mm bullets are good to about 200 AMPS

You are running a 240 AMP ESC, but what you really need to know, is what is a realistic average amp draw of the motor and other components on the system. As long as the connectors and wiring can handle the average AMP draw you should be fine.

Kevin

Here is a wire gauge chart to assist in wire sizing:
    http://www.wattco.net/infopdf/wireguagechart.pdf
    Last edited by dag-nabit; 08-06-2012 at 02:04 PM.

Here is a link to some general info on RC connectors, it is a bit outdated and doesn't have info on some of the newer connectors on the market, but gives a good overview. They mention the Traxxas plugs, but give no indication what they are good for AMP handling. I have never been able to find a confirmed rating on Traxxas plugs, but have seen suggested capability anywhere from 40 AMPS to 150 AMPS. Keep in mind, sometimes a particular author is talking continuous amps, sometimes talking max amps, so you will find discrepancies when looking at ratings.
    https://sites.google.com/site/tjingu.../rc-connectors

I use EC5 connectors, which are essentially 5mm bullets in a plastic housing to ensure correct polarity and ease of connection/disconnect. EC5 connectors are good to about 120 AMPS average draw, 150 max.

5mm bullets are good for about 150 AMPS
    6mm bullets are good to about 200 AMPS

You are running a 240 AMP ESC, but what you really need to know, is what is a realistic average amp draw of the motor and other components on the system. As long as the connectors and wiring can handle the average AMP draw you should be fine.

Kevin

Here is a wire gauge chart to assist in wire sizing:
    http://www.wattco.net/infopdf/wireguagechart.pdf

I know I've said this for a few months but I really need to get this thing out on the water. The days are getting longer and the water warmer so lets hope I can give a decent review soon! It's frustrating as hell having it ready to rock but unable to use it for the first time with the new setup!

Thank you Kevin. The science is becoming more and more clear thanks to people like you who help demystify the info.

Rob

I would like to see some pics of the final build and perhaps a video as well.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12