Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric Planes, Heli's and EDFs: Discussion, pics and video Thread

Default A few of mine.

Here are a few of my planes and helis...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Some more...

Looking good. Is the F-8 and F-86 50mm?

I crashed my wicked powered T33 that sucked, but I bought a 50mm T45 airframe kit from HK for $22. Just gonna transfer everything from my crashed T33 to that plane. I love the 50mm size jets. I bought the T45 and F9 Panther airframe kits (had my wicked power setup and a stock jpower 50mm setup laying around). I don't see the T45 listed anymore surpisngly, here's the F9 kit though: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._EPO_Kit_.html
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet
    "It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves"

The F-86 uses a 60mm Alfa fan, the A-7 and F-16 use a 70mm HET fan, and the A-10 has twin 60mm Alfa fans.

Here's a video of the F-86 in action

Last edited by LuckyDuc; 04-13-2012 at 04:21 PM.

Very cool Sean! You're a good pilot! Plenty of stick time for sure!

Love the fleet as well!

-Kent
    "Will race for cookies!"
    IMPBA D12
    My Gallery: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/album.php?u=1738

Thanks Kent!

Bought my first heli today. Pulled the trigger on the Blade 120SR. Can't wait to try this thing out.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Cool. It's a fun little heli. Do a little practice hovering indoor and then take her outside over grass with no wind.

Got my ebay Blade 450 3d yesterday and took it for a spin this evening. She is like the 120SR on steroids and thats putting it mildly. I ran three packs through her. So far she is still in one piece. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Nautiboyz View Post
    Cool. It's a fun little heli. Do a little practice hovering indoor and then take her outside over grass with no wind.

Got my ebay Blade 450 3d yesterday and took it for a spin this evening. She is like the 120SR on steroids and thats putting it mildly. I ran three packs through her. So far she is still in one piece. LOL
    I haven't even turned it on yet, picked it up right as the lhs was closing. So you went from the 120sr right to the 450 3D?

Any 120 tx setup tips?

- Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDuc View Post
    The F-86 uses a 60mm Alfa fan, the A-7 and F-16 use a 70mm HET fan, and the A-10 has twin 60mm Alfa fans.

Here's a video of the F-86 in action

60mm nice! Heard good things about the HET and Alfa fans. Anyone try or heard any info about the Leopard edf fan/motor combo?

- Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel6401 View Post
    So you went from the 120sr right to the 450 3D?

Any 120 tx setup tips?
    Yep, Kind of a bold step up but so far so good. Some say it's a good move up, others say you shouldnt go from a fixed pitch right to the 450 3d but the only Heli in between is the SR and as you know, that one doesnt have the best write ups. The only other option is one of the ultra micro CP helis but thats not for me. To me the 120 and 450 handle similarly (with no wind) but obviously the 450 is more powerfull, precise and intimidating. It can also get out of shape much quicker so no time to think what the fingers need to do.

No real set up needed for the 120. All the set up is dialed into the 5 in1 board. Set the transmitter up like your typical park flyer. In fixed wing mode, D/R at 100/70 and maybe 30 on the expo. When you start flying indoor, you'll go through a few sets of blades and maybe a tail boom. When you start flying outdoors, you'll probably crack the body and go through a few pairs of skids. Once you are comfortable hovering outdoors, switch the swash to the advanced settings and you'll be able to make head way into a slight breeze. When you turn toward the side of the retreating blade (I think left) use very little aileron or she will drop like a rock. Also if you get out of shape, first instinct is to chop power but you actually want to apply power if you think can save her. One little mod to do is take off the left side skid and clip 1/8 inch off the rear mounting post. Untrimmed, this little stud can get pushed into the servo wheel in a crash and damage the unit.

Let us know how it goes!!!

Yep, Kind of a bold step up but so far so good. Some say it's a good move up, others say you shouldnt go from a fixed pitch right to the 450 3d but the only Heli in between is the SR and as you know, that one doesnt have the best write ups. The only other option is one of the ultra micro CP helis but thats not for me. To me the 120 and 450 handle similarly (with no wind) but obviously the 450 is more powerfull, precise and intimidating. It can also get out of shape much quicker so no time to think what the fingers need to do.

No real set up needed for the 120. All the set up is dialed into the 5 in1 board. Set the transmitter up like your typical park flyer. In fixed wing mode, D/R at 100/70 and maybe 30 on the expo. When you start flying indoor, you'll go through a few sets of blades and maybe a tail boom. When you start flying outdoors, you'll probably crack the body and go through a few pairs of skids. Once you are comfortable hovering outdoors, switch the swash to the advanced settings and you'll be able to make head way into a slight breeze. When you turn toward the side of the retreating blade (I think left) use very little aileron or she will drop like a rock. Also if you get out of shape, first instinct is to chop power but you actually want to apply power if you think can save her. One little mod to do is take off the left side skid and clip 1/8 inch off the rear mounting post. Untrimmed, this little stud can get pushed into the servo wheel in a crash and damage the unit.

Let us know how it goes!!!
    Awesome info, thanks. I just did a test hoover in the garage I couldn't wait :D me thinks I may like this a lot. I set it up in heli with 50/75/100 on the travel for all 3 surfaces (dx8) and 30% on the ele, 50% ail (may turn that down a tad) and I think 30-40% on the rud. Should I unbind in heli mode and setup acro mode or just leave it? While hoovering in the garage, I felt a little uneasy at first, but sure that was the nerves. On pre-flight found my ele servo kinda stuck in the middle I kept working it back and forth and it freed up, thought that was kinda odd. Found a black like thread wrapped around the gear weird... pulled it out and it flew. Had a little tail shimmy/wobble also, that normal? Have 5 batts for the little guy :)

How the hell I'm I going to fit helis in the rc budget... boats, planes are the major portation then land. Helis now.... damn this rc hobby lol.

- Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

You'll get a little tail wag. Not the highest quality gyro on that tiny board. Use what ever settings work for you. There might be a 120SR download availble for the DX8. But try binding it to one of your basic fixed wing settings also and see how you like it. The first time I scrolled through the heli settings my head was spinning. LOL

One more little tip. Take an inch or so of silicon cooling hose used on your boat, cut it into four small pieces and place them on the ends on you skids. This will keep the heli from spinning as much on a hard surface when spooling up the motor.

Went threw 3 batteries this morning hoovering and trimming it out today. As started messing around with different heli setting, your right Nautiboyz, my head was spinning lol. All I'm doing is hoovering making a few adjustement and see how I like it. It could take a long time just setting this thing up to my preferences.

That 450 3D looks awesome! 3s 2200mah lipos, I have a TON of those. Maybe next in line?!? Or that mcpx v2 like BL55 mentioned. I seen some setups on youtube to tam it down a little and help on transitioning to it. May want to go bigger though.

* I'm going to fly this thing stock for a long while, then snag some hop-ups.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Both my eyes are on the 450X!
    My MCPx has me ready for a much bigger heli, and should be easier for me now

Went threw 3 batteries this morning hoovering and trimming it out today. As started messing around with different heli setting, your right Nautiboyz, my head was spinning lol. All I'm doing is hoovering making a few adjustement and see how I like it. It could take a long time just setting this thing up to my preferences.

That 450 3D looks awesome! 3s 2200mah lipos, I have a TON of those. Maybe next in line?!? Or that mcpx v2 like BL55 mentioned. I seen some setups on youtube to tam it down a little and help on transitioning to it. May want to go bigger though.

* I'm going to fly this thing stock for a long while, then snag some hop-ups.
    It really is such an awesome machine!!
    I can fly in 10mph winds with no problems.. another one to consider is the new 130X (that I would get vs the MCPx just for size reason..)
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

That 130x looks really cool, but for $30 more u can snag the 450 3D. And the 130x is similar in size to the 120sr. The 450 3D seems priced rather nicely. Big jump to the 450 X... I don't know anything about how a flybar vs a flybarless fly so is it worth the difference? I'm clueless on that. I like the size and looks of the 300x but ouch in cost. I may follow Nautiboyz and when I'm comfy grab the 450 3D. That mcpx does look really fun though on youtube. The msrx looks rather interesting and priced nicely. I have a crap load of those 1s 150mah batteries. It calls for a 25c mine are only 12c, id imagine it will loose a little punch. Anyone ever screw around with the msrx?

- Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Nice I have several aircraft all electrics. Nice fleet Diesel! I am wanting the Carbon Super cub and the glider when it comes out!!! Who make the A-10 LuckyDuc?
    "Discussion is an exchange of knowledge; an argument, an exchange of ignorance." Robert Quillen

Quote Originally Posted by H2OCamel View Post
    Nice I have several aircraft all electrics. Nice fleet Diesel! I am wanting the Carbon Super cub and the glider when it comes out!!! Who make the A-10 LuckyDuc?

Thanks! The Carbon Cub looks really good. All these dang HH products making my head spin. I think I'm going to order the new Habu 2 airframe only.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Less then 24hrs of owning and I'm grounded

The ele/pitch control servo was freaking grinding day one, today durning pre-flight (thank goodness not in the air) it started seizing. Gave Horizon a call, 10 minuets later replacement servo on its way :D gotta love customer service. I'm not mad about though, part of the hobby things happen. I think I'm going to swing buy the LHS today and see if they have one in stock, that way I can get back in the asap and when the one from HH comes I'll have a spare!
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Who makes the A-10 LuckyDuc?
    The A-10 is a GWS kit that I glassed with 3/4 oz glass and modified to accommodate Alfa 60mm fans. The one in the picture is the second one I built. Here is a video of what happened to the first one.

If all of your wishes are granted, many of your dreams will be destroyed!

Nice video LuckyDuc I thought it was the GWS, I had the one of the first ones first ones here in colorado and it never got off the ground I have been wanting to build another A-10 since it is one of my favorite jets. I was told the 50mm fans would not fly it at this altitude and the tail was broken off before I got to maiden it. I still have the two fans with the original brushed motors lol.
    I have had two other planes fold wings in flight and lawn dart a parkzone firebird extream in a highspeed dive sounded like a Stuka dive bommer it was really cool! and a GWS slowstick pulling a loop to show off for my girl and realized I forgot to add the braces that hold the wings together in my rush to fly it :D
    "Discussion is an exchange of knowledge; an argument, an exchange of ignorance." Robert Quillen

Thanks! The Carbon Cub looks really good. All these dang HH products making my head spin. I think I'm going to order the new Habu 2 airframe only.
    I just saw the habu 2 in thunderbird colors very nice looking. Yes I agree with the head spin they have so many things I want, time to sell some of the 18+ boats I have ;-)All the hobby shops near me have the other Habu on the shelves I didn't realize it was discontinued.

Nice video LuckyDuc I thought it was the GWS, I had the one of the first ones first ones here in colorado and it never got off the ground
    Funny you mention Colorado. I lived in Denver from 2003 - 2008. The A-10 and F-86 video was filmed at Cherry Creek air field. I used to fly there and at Chatfield all of the time. I bet we know each other.

My Avatar photo was taken at Pueblo Motorsport park.

Quote Originally Posted by BakedMopar View Post
    Here are some of mine.
    Looking good buddy! How you like that P-47?

Cheap linear servo on my 120sr crapped, waiting for the replacement from HH. I swung by the lhs and snagged there last linear servo and d.o.a outta the box. Wtf is that about. I think I may either order the whole 5-1 board for spare parts or actually buy a whole extra 120sr that way ill have all the spare parts, extra batt and charger. Not a bad deal imho.

Anyone have a msrX? Looks cool to fly around the house with. Tad smaller then the 120sr.

- Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

The P-47 has been great. I've added flaps and retracts. It's a really visually cool plane and relaxing to fly. However I haven't flow it in some time now.
    If all of your wishes are granted, many of your dreams will be destroyed!

Cheap linear servo on my 120sr crapped, waiting for the replacement from HH. I swung by the lhs and snagged there last linear servo and d.o.a outta the box. Wtf is that about. I think I may either order the whole 5-1 board for spare parts or actually buy a whole extra 120sr that way ill have all the spare parts, extra batt and charger. Not a bad deal imho.
    Sorry about the servo issue. I had one of the motor wires break at the circuit board and the solder joints are so tiny, I ended up screwing up the 5-1. Found one on ebay for about $45 shipped. If you replace the board, be careful not to mess with the ball link rod lengths or you will have a heck of a time getting her to fly right.

I know a few that have the msrx and they love them. They are just a little too small for my liking.

Quote Originally Posted by BakedMopar View Post
    The P-47 has been great. I've added flaps and retracts. It's a really visually cool plane and relaxing to fly. However I haven't flow it in some time now.
    That's awesome! I love a bird with all the works!

Sorry about the servo issue. I had one of the motor wires break at the circuit board and the solder joints are so tiny, I ended up screwing up the 5-1. Found one on ebay for about $45 shipped. If you replace the board, be careful not to mess with the ball link rod lengths or you will have a heck of a time getting her to fly right.

I know a few that have the msrx and they love them. They are just a little too small for my liking.
    All good it happens, part of the hobby. I did have to mess with the rods from the linear servo to the swashplate on mine. Out of the box it flew hard right, had to adjust the subtrim to 50L to hover hands-off. So I tweeked it and no issues then the pitch servo locked up. That's a good deal on the 5-1. Heavily leaning towards the new heli though. I can buy one tomorrow or wait another day or so and see if the new servo from HH works ok. If it does ill still have money in the PP for something else and the msrX at $119 seems like a cool bird especially for flying inside the house. It is pretty tiny though.

- Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Got the replacement servo in from HH and looked much MUCH better then the one I got from the LHS, soldered in and she worked like a champ, 120sr takes flight again. Started trying to dial it in while I was in the garage and ran outta room. I'll take it to work with me tomorrow and work on it, I also want to adjust the throttle curve to my liking. Loving the heli stuff though!

Luckyduc that A10 looked amazing man, sorry about your lose on that one.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Some more pics, this is of my Flyzone Cessna 350 Corvalis. I honestly think thats the best plane for the price I ever bought. It really flies like a dream!

- Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast