Thread: PB Impulse 26 Battery Size?

Default PB Impulse 26 Battery Size?

All,
    What is the largest battery I can run on a stock PB Impulse 26? I've got the boat used (like new) last week and a ran few times with the supplied 8.4v %k 7cell NIMH. Used a buddy's 2S-Lipo 1600Mah and ran equal. Could I go with a 9-cell 10.8V NIMH or a 3S 11,1V Lipo using the stock esc and motor, or will I fry it? The paperwork that came with the boats states up to a
    12V 10 Cell battery. I'm leaning towards lipo cause of the weight advantage, The boat seemed to like the lighter battery in choppy water. Also may upgarde to a faster brushed motor as well. any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance for you replies.
    D-

Quote Originally Posted by ProBoat59 View Post
    All,
    What is the largest battery I can run on a stock PB Impulse 26? I've got the boat used (like new) last week and a ran few times with the supplied 8.4v %k 7cell NIMH. Used a buddy's 2S-Lipo 1600Mah and ran equal. Could I go with a 9-cell 10.8V NIMH or a 3S 11,1V Lipo using the stock esc and motor, or will I fry it? The paperwork that came with the boats states up to a
    12V 10 Cell battery. I'm leaning towards lipo cause of the weight advantage, The boat seemed to like the lighter battery in choppy water. Also may upgarde to a faster brushed motor as well. any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance for you replies.
    D-
    THe biggest I ever ran in the 26 stock was a 7cell. The manual does say it will handle the 10cell. Most would advise against running a lipo because there is no LVC but as long as you keep your run time down I don't see why it won't work.

If your gonna upgrade the biggest bang for your buck is gonna be going brushless. This boat on 4s and 5s is a BLAST!

There are aftermarket cutoffs available

Sent from my MB611 using Tapatalk 2
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

Quote Originally Posted by POWERS View Post
    THe biggest I ever ran in the 26 stock was a 7cell. The manual does say it will handle the 10cell. Most would advise against running a lipo because there is no LVC but as long as you keep your run time down I don't see why it won't work.

If your gonna upgrade the biggest bang for your buck is gonna be going brushless. This boat on 4s and 5s is a BLAST!
    Thanks for the feedback,
    I too have been looking at brushless, Way to many to choose from and no clue how to choose.
    Is there some magic formula to help on decide on a brushlees motor for boat or even truck for that matter.
    I just got a couple 2S paks with a cut-off and will try this weekend.
    Also thought about a hotter brushed motor but found out you can't go less than 15 turns.

D-

Thanks for the feedback,
    I too have been looking at brushless, Way to many to choose from and no clue how to choose.
    Is there some magic formula to help on decide on a brushlees motor for boat or even truck for that matter.
    I just got a couple 2S paks with a cut-off and will try this weekend.
    Also thought about a hotter brushed motor but found out you can't go less than 15 turns.

D-
    I don't know that there is a magic formula to pick the perfect brushless set up. There are multiple variables. I usually go a little over board and put a little bigger system in the boat, that gets me speed, a little extra weight (in this hull isn't a bad thing), and gives me luke warm temps when done running. I have two impulses right now, well two impulses in my family that is, one is my dads and one is the wifeys, both of which I have upgraded to brushless.

I happened to have most the stuff lying around to put in them. One has the pro boat 1500kv motor out of the Miss Geico and a turnigy 120a esc that we run on 5s and it is sick! The other has a 1300kv Tacon in it with the 60amp pro-boat esc in it and we run it on 4s and its a nice improvement over stock, once my dad gets used to it I will get a 120s esc in there to make the jump to 5s. I think anything in the 1300-1800kv range with a 120a esc on 5s makes this boat a blast.

The only downside is while testing the wifes set up out last weekend In rougher water I got air had a hard landing and cracked the plastic hull. So now I'm working on laying some carbon fiber in it to reinforce it.

Here's some vids of the Impulses in testing....

Heres one on 4s

This one shows the wifes stock impulse vs my dads with the tacon in it on 5s.

Thanks for all the info. I'll run mine with the 2S lipo's this weekend, which should be just like the 7cell NiCD I had been using just a whole lot lighter.
    I'm sure I'll go to brushless soon. My buddy just bought a Minimono which is brushless so I get to see it run as well.
    Keep in touch with the upgrades.......
    D-

I am having problems understanding the difference in "KV" ratings on the motors. Most of what I can find are bigger 4000 to 5000 KV and also the bigger the KV seems to be a cheaper motor.............. does not make sense......
    I was hoping to do the brush less convertion for $100 or so.......

I am having problems understanding the difference in "KV" ratings on the motors. Most of what I can find are bigger 4000 to 5000 KV and also the bigger the KV seems to be a cheaper motor.............. does not make sense......
    I was hoping to do the brush less convertion for $100 or so.......
    Isn't R/C boating great? All kinds of new stuff to learn! First off KV isn't really a size of motor, it relates to the turns a motor makes at given volt or rpms per volt of the motor. Generally higher kv motors are faster but have less torque and vice versa for lower kv motors. Below is a kv chart showing the rpms a given kv motor will spin with a given lipo voltage. TO me it is easier to understand the whole idea of kv by looking at this chart.

Motor%20KV_Batt.jpg

For the impulse I've run 1300kv and 1500kv motors in them. Using the same lipo with each motor the faster motor will be the 1500kv, and the cooler running the 1300kv. I run the 1500kv on 5s in my wifes boat and it books and comes in warm, barely, and it hauls ass.

Pick up a Turnigy/Hobbywing 120amp ESC for 50 bucks (overkill but I like to be safe and for $50 you can't go wrong)
    http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e-c-seaking-120a.html

And a you can make this motor work, looks like 1400kv is in stock for $88
    http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...?prod=leo-3674

That puts you a little over your $100 budget. If you can wait a bit, look for a Tacon 3674 with similar kv for half the price of a leopard and your in under $100.

Very cool, thanks for all the help!
    Ya, the 'modern" boating thing is sure lots different than playing around with stampedes 15 years ago......... I'm only using $100.00 as a set-point, and If I go over, then so be it, as I really don't like the cheap stuff that can fail and will spend more up front for quality parts. I just got this boat a few weeks back for $100.00 used but like new with a 7c Nimh battery which works well but is heavy and the boats need to be faster.
    I found a nice 1800kv aquacraft motor for $80 that the stock cooling coil will fit exact. 550 size. Then I'd get a 120a water cooled esc. was also thinking on running a 3S.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...s-Motor-1800kV

Is this SeaKing motor too much at 3060KV? I could order both from the same place for just over 100.

HobbyWing 3660 SL 3060kv Brushless Inrunner (WaterCooled)

Thanks Again.............
    Last edited by ProBoat59; 04-24-2012 at 02:53 PM.

If your heart is set on 3s then the 3060 motor would be the one to go with, the 1800kv on 3s would only be a little faster than stock, with the 1800kv you would have to run 4-5s to get her flying. That being said I prefer the lower kv and more cells, it usually runs cooler. Also I have no experience with the hobby wing motor, in the description it does not list the number of poles but I'm guessing it's probably 2, where as the Aquacraft motor you mentioned is 6 poles the more poles the better. If your gonna dish out 80 on a motor like the aquacraft look at proboat they have a 1500kv and 1800kv models out of the miss geico and mystic29 respectively. Both are 6 poles, around the same price as aquacrafts and they come with a better cooling jacket than the stock impulses coil design. Both motors propel the mystic hull into the high 30s and low 40s on 4s, so they would make the impulse26 crazy. The first video I posted above on 4s is With the 1500kv proboat motor. And if you get bored on 4 and 5s the motors can handle 6s. I'm thinking I may try that one day for *!***!***!***!**s and giggles after I reinforce the hull.

Well I made a decision !!! Can you believe it............
    Ordered a ProBoat 1500 and getting a 120a ESC w/BEC. Will run on 4S. Hopefully this should work well.
    Thank You for all the help! Very much appreciated!
    Now I just have to wait for the new electrics to arrive. I'll let you know how she runs.

Awesome! You'll love the improvement over stock. And with the 120a esc you can still go up to 5s when your ready for more.

Finally get her running......
    Had to get connectors and a new motor coupler.
    She ROCKS!!!! Plenty fast for me......................... Awsome Rooster Tail as well
    Thanks for all the help !!!!!!

Finally get her running......
    Had to get connectors and a new motor coupler.
    She ROCKS!!!! Plenty fast for me......................... Awsome Rooster Tail as well
    Thanks for all the help !!!!!!
    Great to hear! Now you just gotta get some video of her on here.