Thread: Sv 27, Collet Losing Flexshaft, Pictures

Default Sv 27, Collet Losing Flexshaft, Pictures

my sv 27 has a kintec upgrade collet and, i think, maybe their flex shaft. it looks like the shaft goes into the collet maybe 1/8 inch or a little more. it seems tight when i tighten the collet. prteey tight, too. in the pool it just comes off after a while.

pic's attached.

anybody?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Is that the 2 or 3 piece collet? Can you take a pic of it taken apart?

thanks. i'm going to have to pull the collet anyway, i guess. this requires removal of the motor mount, so far as i can tell. that is a pain to do on the sv27. there is not enough room for the collet to clear the stuffing tube while sliding the collet off the motor shaft. i just did this operation, to install a new motor with a flat spot on the shaft, so the collet would not slip off the OTHER end. i think i was successful on that end, by the way. anyway, i believe it's the 3 piece collet from kintec.

also, how does one break down this collett? yank it apart? it does not seem to twist apart....

thanks.

1/8 inch into the collet is not enough fot the collet to grab the flex cable. I push it all the way in until I feel it touched with the motor shaft THEN BACK it out the length of the diameter of the cable, remember under load it will shrink a bit.
    Also, your collet may bind ( Galling) and not tighten up completely. I was taught a trick by Fluid to use Anti-Seize Lubricant. Go to any Auto parts store and get a tube. I use Permatex--got it from Pepboys. Un screw the collet and put just a bit, smear it evenly. You will see how smooth and "further" your collet will go.
    www.permatex.com , item# 81343 (133A)

interesting tlanducer. i will try to get the flex shaft further up the collet. and maybe try that lubricant. i take it plain grease is not good? (i never greased the motor end of my flex shaft figuring it might slip off the motor shaft easier.) thank you.

I was told specifically to get this, therefore I assume general grease is not up to the task. This stuff is metallic like and very sticky, so it is entirely different from any other general grease. I don't grease the motor end of the flex shaft, when you properly lube the flex cable and then push it in, you will end up with alot of grease on that end.

There should be a brass insert showing that grips the flex cable.I dont see it in the pic.The 3 piece Kintec collet only requires that you snug it up,not torque it down to hold the flex cable.Over tightening this collet is a no-no! I have 4 of them and have never had a issue with one.Check the brass insert to see if the gaps in the insert are still open.Jan also sell replacement inserts for that collet if thats ur problem.

i don't remember ever taking the thing apart -- and removing it -- but i too was wondering about that. i have been not been wrenching it very tight -- i can't! ha. i'll check it out thanks h20.

the brass insert had been overtightened and the hole for the flex shaft closed. that's it.