Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: prop question

what do you mean by caps?

Quote Originally Posted by camarohrod View Post
    and i have it times as low as it will go
    Your timing will depend on your motor and this could be your source of heat.I'll see if I can find your recommended motor timing.
    Did you get the caps meaning?

Yes, These.http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...prod=etti-e041

Quote Originally Posted by camarohrod View Post
    caps?

yeah i understand but i know nothing about them, here r the pics of my esc without the wrap around it

How are you programming the timing? I went searching and couldn't find the wind of that motor.You could start a thread and see if anyone knows.If timing is too low it might cause the ESC to heat up.I would try different settings.

A picture of the caps ends please.

here is the programing for my esc, ive tried the 2-4 and the 6-8 and both of them run just as hot

I assume your marks on the side are your settings?Your PWM should be 8khz.Odds are you definately don't want 16khz.Try that.

Also,I run soft cutoff normally so you can get the boat back in .Gently.If you run the lipos down all the time they won't last long.

i have it set on 8khz those marks r just what i had it set at one time when i was tryin to figure out myself why it was getting hot, that was just a quick run when i had it set on that. its on 14.8v, soft start, no brake, clockwise rotation, 2-4 pole timing, and 8khz

Well maybe that ESC is just being pushed too hard.You should grab a Seaking T-180.They aren't much.Guess I should ask this first,do you enjoy the boating?
    My CC 1415 running a X435 pushes 100 amps but that is in a 25" mono. So yours could be pushing it.

yes i enjoy it and i live on a river so its something i can go out and do anytime the weather is ok. i kind of came up with the same conclusion that theres something wrong with that esc. thanks everybody for your help.

What gauge wire is on your parallel connector?In review they look small too. If the ESC is having to work hard to pull the amps that'll heat it up as well.
    I would say 12 gauge wire throughout is minimum.I run 10 and even 8.
    Sorry,it's been a while since I've had an issue like this to deal with.

BTW,what kind of Camaro?

i believe its all 12

I got a e-mail that you have a Yenko clone.However I don't see it here. Just checking.Sometimes we get the ghosts in the machine.

Nice wheels then.I used to have a 71 RS Z/28 and a 1977 type LT extensively modded.

Hey Camero-junkie,

You say its a 150 amp esc. Did you buy new? Used? I am not convinced its a 150. Looks small to me compared to the caps. Looks more like a 90.... or even a 60!

(And if that is the case.... I am surprised it hasn't blown)....

In either case, I think its your esc. Either under rated or faulty.

Sean

I am having the same exact problem with my new genesis. 4s 4000mah 30c lipo's, hobbywing seaking 120 A ESC, stock everything (prop,motor, 4mm flex shaft) also new to boats. I have timing set high. I get 5 minutes and it cuts
    power way down, motor and lipo's arent even warm esc is hot. i figured it was a bad esc? now I dont know what to think? have ordered turnigy 180A esc

do yall think this could be a motor problem? i ordered a new swordfish 200a esc and new 45c lipos to see if thats the problem.

I think the ESC's are too small.That is a good size hull and cats take more to get out of the water.Once up on plane all is good.I run a 180 on my Geico and it needs all of it.Mind you I've got a hot setup.

and I do not think timing should be high. If anything, I think these are 2 pole.... So low timing is in order.

Hey, did you ever figure it out? sounds like the same exact problem with my genesis when I first got it 3 weeks ago. I had a hobbywing seaking 120A esc. did same as yours everytime. I simply replaced it with the T180A, problem solved
    what I can't figure out is I'm running 2 x 2S 30 to 40 C 4000 Mah in series and getting 5 to 6 minute runs. but if I went with your setup 2 x 4S 4000 mah parallel (8000Mah) I thought it would give me 10 to 12 minute runs.
    you say your only getting 5 minutes? don't know if that's the 20C part or not.

well i bought a 647, 440/3 and i tried both of them and i cant seem to get any more speed, i think my motor is just crap so i just ordered a leopard.

thanks,
    I've been thinking about trying the 440/3 prop myself. which leopard did you get? I've been looking at the 4074 and 4082. but don't know enough yet to know which one would be better for me?
    just want it a little faster, but looking for setup that will also give me longer run times. I've decided to switch to 1 piece flex shaft before I switch motors, so I still have time to figure it out.( I hope) and probably go from 2x 2S in series to 2x 4S in parallel to achieve the longer run times. wondering how long before my stock motor craps out? but more afraid of flex shaft breaking and putting hole in hull.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12