Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No telemetry for RC boats ?

exactly. what good is data-logging after you smoke a $300 esc. they have telemetry that talks to you . how much sense does that make? wouldnt you like to know how much voltage your batteries have and temps of esc and motor and speed? just started researching whats out there and will buy when satisfied .

Hmmm... here's my thing, to my knowledge there is a lack (outer space emptiness) of fe boating tech in NZ. Any thing available is waaaay overpriced! I do see the value of data loggers, I'm sure it would be helpful. Oh yeah zero budget doesn't help me either. What I do for now is test my boats by running 7 laps and check temps and Mah put back in batts. This tells me if i can run a race without destroying my gear. So far this is working. Well the occaisional meltdown (connectors etc) but nothing too serious so far. Much kudos to those with the knowledge and experience above ours.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Quote Originally Posted by coolmind View Post
    This is also a very good data logger.
    http://www.hyperion-eu.com/products/product/HP-EM2-RDU
    Oh I like hyperion stuff , always had good luck with there motors ,, but I cant find what peak amps it will read ???

Quote Originally Posted by ReddyWatts View Post
    IMO, telemetry would be great, if you could set audible tone alarms for amp, temp and low voltage limits. It would be a valuable tool for new setups. No need to watch a display.
    If you already have the Eagletree system, as I do, then the next thing to purchase would be the Seagull dashboard, as I will. ($200)
    http://www.eagletreesystems.com/Boat/boat.html

FYI Fluid, I have not seen anyone post on this thread until recently,and I visit our club pages frequently. I was injured and have not been able to run a boat since last year.
    I did get the Airtronics MT-4 telemetry system and it seems to work well in boats. I used it a few times last year and was learning to operate it. Data logging works good too. I modded some CC ICE II 120's with water cooling and they work great.
    100_8297.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by runzwithsizorz View Post
    If you already have the Eagletree system, as I do, then the next thing to purchase would be the Seagull dashboard, as I will. ($200)
    http://www.eagletreesystems.com/Boat/boat.html
    2nd
    Do It Like You Mean It .....or Don't Bother

Quote Originally Posted by ReddyWatts View Post
    IMO, telemetry would be great, if you could set audible tone alarms for amp, temp and low voltage limits. It would be a valuable tool for new setups. No need to watch a display.
    The new Airtronics MT-4 radio does this. The only thing it doesn't do, which I miss greatly, is monitor the voltage of the packs - it monitors the voltage of the receiver power instead which isn't all that useful.

But I'll be using it for monitoring temps of my motors. Datalogging is great - but if you have an issue you won't know until it's already blown up and you're reviewing the data as to why. I want to be able to set alarms to fore-warn me of problems, which the MT-4 can do.

Is there any way to get live data from castle escs?

As far as i know they have good logging system.

eagletree has live telemetry but very expensive

Default telemetry

fairly new to electric, but it occured to me that high amps cause raised temps so wouldnt monitoring esc , motor, and batteries temps be enough with a telemetry system?

airtronics has a 200 amp sensor , but 'm running seaking 180 esc and 6-s could pull more than 200 amps, so this sensor wont work, would temp sensor be good enough to prevent frying lectronics?

If you have a set up that could pull 200+ amps, wouldn't it be more sensible to spend the dollars on a more appropriately rated ESC, than telemetry that tells you that you are just about to fry your 180A rated item?

the forum recommended the seaking 180 for my outrigger leopard 4082 1600 kv on 6-s. was I wrong to follow their advice?

If you believe that your set up could pull more than 180A, then yes you were unwise to go with an ESC rated at that. With all these set ups, you really need to give yourself a bit of headroom to allow for all eventualities.

Also, the advice given on the forum, while borne of the huge experience of the contributors, has to be taken with consideration. As no two setups will be absolutely the same (if only due to differences in supposed "identical" ESC's motors etc) the advice gives a ball park starting point for you to consider. If the forum members think that your setup would run at less than 180A at 6s, then the t180 is a great value and reliable ESC. I have one myself. If, however, for whatever reason you believe that your setup will go beyond 180A (which is in itself advice from the maker as to its limits) then surely it is sensible to fit an ESC with a higher capacity or you are simply asking to burn up your setup.

Quote Originally Posted by urbs00007 View Post
    the forum recommended the seaking 180 for my outrigger leopard 4082 1600 kv on 6-s. was I wrong to follow their advice?
    Depends on the prop, but shouldn't be an issue IMHO. I personally don't like running escs to their Max voltage, but amp wise should be fine. Those escs are pretty darn tough.

Samsung Galaxy S3 via Tapatalk
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet
    "It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12