Thread: 60 amp ESC from tower

Default 60 amp ESC from tower

I have a first generation SV27 that I have modified by repositioning the batteries, adding a transom water pick-up, and a metal prop. I have just taken the plunge into lipo batteries and I new the stock ESC did not have a cutoff, so I purchased what I thought was the upgrade esc for the boat. It turns out that it is an esc for a UL. So it is a little longer and the cooling water takes a different route. So I am having a little trouble trying to get this to fit. The big Cap that sticks out of the control is so long that it sticks out of the rubber sleeve that the wires got through. Is that going to be a problem? Also I am concerned that the water lines are going to kink. If anyone has any tips or tricks for this, please let me know.

Thanks
    Daveo

Have any pictures of the layout in the boat.

Take out the radio box, it's a big pain and isn't remotely water proof. You can then lay out the components in a sensible manner and have no problems with wiring or plumbing.
    Don't know many people that bother with a radio box in an electric boat, the hatch should be taped to keep out any water.
    If my boats upside down then who owns the one I thought I was driving the last two laps?

@lenny, I will try to get some picts up when I get home

@Siberianhusky That is not a bad Idea. I know that I could at the very least take the ESC out of the box. I do tape my hatch, but i still get water

Here is my lay out with out radio box.

PHTO0010.jpg2012-01-17 23-35-16.381.jpg

Need pics of the inside please.
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

Did you remove the hardware and seal the holes with some caulking when you put it back together?
    A short piece of large diameter fuel tube over the end of the stuffing tube overhanging just enough to touch the flex cable in front of the motor coupler will keep water from coming up the stuffing tube.
    If my boats upside down then who owns the one I thought I was driving the last two laps?

here are some pictures of what I have setup. Please note the capacitor sticking through the wire grommet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Does this look ok? Should I change it? I am afraid of the cap getting too hot. Any ideas?

You can most likely run it like it is, but why are you cramming it in that box??????
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

I am cramming it in the box because I don't want it to get wet. I have sealed all of the holes with aquarium sealant and I tape my hatch shut, but I still get water in the hull. I am just paranoid.

Hi Daveo,

Sounds like you need to sit your sv in the bath with the hatch off then you can see where the water is getting in...

I removed the box in mine, and always tape the hatch and grease the last part of the flex cable, and i never have water issues, even it it goes fully under water!

Tone