Thread: Proboat 60a esc- how waterproof?

Default Proboat 60a esc- how waterproof?

Hi,
    I'm planning to use a proboat 60a esc in a scale 1/10 shovelnose hull that cannot be made watertight so the esc needs to be able to survive fairly regular submersions.

The stock esc comes in what looks like a pretty watertight box-- I actually had a fastech that had a similar esc and it did survive at least 1 full submersion without a problem.

Should I further treat the esc or is it waterproof enough as is? I could either dip it, or put it into yet another watertight box... Or is that overkill...

Chief

I can't say it's 100% water-proof... nothing really is.

However, it's about as "water-resistant" as an ESC can get. Put some Dielectric grease on the RX connection and keep an eye on the caps and the wire insulation where it enters the potting compound. That black-goo may not fully adhere to the wire insulation and, over time, may separate.

That being said... I ran a 60A in my 1/10th Scale Miss DeWalt for two seasons without any issues... just dry it off from time-to-time...
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Thanks Darin

Chief

Just the other day while running my impulse the cooling line came off from the rudder to the esc and the boat filled up and I do mean filled up to where the boat was sitting at a 45 degree angle in the lake, powered it back in and drained it, I thought all was lost but everything survived.
    to me that is one tough esc.
    one ? can the 60 amp handle 5s.
    the specs on the 45 amp esc by pb say 10v-21v, but no specs on the 60 amp version, has anyone run the 60 amp on 5s?
    I am running a 1090kv with a m445 prop.
    Last edited by G-UNIT; 05-01-2012 at 08:35 PM.