Thread: Wow...Segad BL = POS!!!!!

Default Wow...Segad BL = POS!!!!!

Bought my Segad last fall hoping it would arrive in time before Mother Nature decided to freeze the water....not the case. Venom with their back ordered products didn't get it here until late November. No biggie right. Well today was the first decent day with open water I was able to take it out. It made it 20 feet before the left drive disconnected and fell off sinking to the bottom of the pond. Seriously!!!! Wow...what a $500 POS. I've been into RC's my whole life more or less. Owned more than 10 trucks, 4 buggies, a heli, 2 planes and 2 boats including this one and I have yet to see something built so cheap as the Venom Segad BL Cat. The day I received it I doubted its quality when I looked at those puny BL outrunners, the chinese ESC's and the sweat shop level of build quality. This thing screams junk. Some one please give me some suggestions for a decent replacement for this thing. I'm giving Venom a chance to defend their customer support by emailing them, supplying photos and giving them a chance to back their product but if Customer Service follows suit to their quality of merchandise I expect I'll never hear from them. I'll keep you posted as to progress. Seriously right now I'm considering a Traxxas Spartan. They may not be the top performance boat of the fleet but I have had and do have products from them and they are a reputable company who stands behind their products and build some decent cars. I would assume that same pride is carried over into their Marine products.

Quote Originally Posted by snapp32e View Post
    Well today was the first decent day with open water I was able to take it out. It made it 20 feet before the left drive disconnected and fell off sinking to the bottom of the pond. Seriously!!!! Wow...what a $500 POS. I have yet to see something built so cheap as the Venom Segad BL Cat. The day I received it I doubted its quality when I looked at those puny BL outrunners, the chinese ESC's and the sweat shop level of build quality. This thing screams junk.
    Thought i'd just highlight a few of the important areas!!!!!!!

Sounds like a pile............................
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

Default More Options

People....send me more links to more boats. I want a replacement for this thing. I'm looking in the $1000 dollar range.

I take it you never owned a boat before, just by loosing the prop and flex shaft, I know it was not setup correctly, did you use loctite, or put a collar on the flex drive shaft, stopping it from getting pulled out of the boat?

If the day you got it, you knew it was junk, why not return it?

As far as more boats, you can look at proboat, but I think you might get the same results with any boat....

Default Uhg!!

I'll keep this short as obviously you have a problem either reading or retaining information stated in previous posts. I DO have and HAVE had other boats.So no, this is not my first boat thanks.It is a RTR boat ordered directly from Venom so excuse my if I confused it with a kit model or some assembly required unit.i assumed ready to run meant ready to run. It had never been dismantled by myself obviously with no runs on the boat there was no need for it. At first yes i thought it did resemble a cheap unit but thought i would give it a chance to prove me wrong. To no avail. Have since purchased a Spartan and am very happy. Venom has yet to send me the replacement parts which i paid for in full.

In short .. if you have been in the hobby .. you know RTR is not 100% RTR.... and not all RTR's are created equal, any forum reading would have given you the same info I listed, and it is
    also listed in the manual to loctite everything. Loosing the prop and flex shaft is nothing new on any boat.

I have been dealing with Venom support and they have sent me parts in two days, i would call the support line, they will get you what you need.

if you are happy with Traxxas that is great, you can put the Venom boat on ebay, it will sell quickly, they always do.

Well i definitely haven't come across a RTR model of any type in my 20 years of RC experience that required dis assembly to apply necessary loc tite to components before use. While i agree loc tite is a great insurance policy in certain applications it's never been a necessity until this model. My 7 year old can have the venom, i'll drive the Spartan. What I have learnt is that for the money, you can have a better performing and quality boat from a different manufacturer than Venom can provide. Lesson learnt.

I'm just stating what is in the owners manual for the venom boats, it shows to loctite certain areas, one was the drive coupler so you don't loose the flex shaft and prop.
    while I did not see the manual show total dis assembly ... it does show all grubs screws getting loctite.

I have not seen ANY models that are RTR , that do not require tweaking, but the degree of tweaking is different from model to model...LOL

What I have leaned is BEFORE I spend the money I do the research, then I am never surprised.

Glad you like the Traxxas, those are decent boats! Have fun this summer!!!!

I'll keep this short as obviously you have a problem either reading or retaining information stated in previous posts. I DO have and HAVE had other boats.So no, this is not my first boat thanks.It is a RTR boat ordered directly from Venom so excuse my if I confused it with a kit model or some assembly required unit.i assumed ready to run meant ready to run. It had never been dismantled by myself obviously with no runs on the boat there was no need for it. At first yes i thought it did resemble a cheap unit but thought i would give it a chance to prove me wrong. To no avail. Have since purchased a Spartan and am very happy. Venom has yet to send me the replacement parts which i paid for in full.
    sounds tipical bro!
    another venom pos is blaming users for failures
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

If you have been in to RC for any real amount of time you should know that you should always check all of the hardware for thread lock and being good and tight. RTR's are built on a line not just by one person at most places and 100's aday so everyone isn't going to be perfect.
    TEAM VENOM/ATOMIK
    TEAM PITBULL TIRES
    TEAM MIP

just food for thought do not buy a traxxas spartan unless you want another pos...stick with proboat or aquacraft for rtr's
    "FE" STANDS FOR FRUSTRATING EXPLOSIONS

Too late....
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by RIPFENCE View Post
    just food for thought do not buy a traxxas spartan unless you want another pos...stick with proboat or aquacraft for rtr's
    Bingo!
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

i always blame myself, and i'm always right. but with a new boat, wouldn't one pull the drive shaft, grease and re-install it properly before running? dropping a shaft can and does happen to other brands of boats, as well. it shouldn't happen, but if it does, it would be foolish to call the boat garbage for that reason alone. it happened on my new ul-1 or sv27 -- i forget which. are either of them garbage? also, op probably has no background for evaluating the merits of those hobbywing esc's or (i am just guessing) the outrunner motors . this sounds like somebody who can write clearly, but has no real point, if it's all about the shaft and his opinions about the power system. i don't know what he means about sweatshop quality, either. does op say? notwithstanding, if venom doesn't send him another shaft and prop, i could see where he might not be happy about that.

Loctite everything .sorry buds your at fault i always double check every nut screw and boat before running

Bought my Segad last fall hoping it would arrive in time before Mother Nature decided to freeze the water....not the case. Venom with their back ordered products didn't get it here until late November. No biggie right. Well today was the first decent day with open water I was able to take it out. It made it 20 feet before the left drive disconnected and fell off sinking to the bottom of the pond. Seriously!!!! Wow...what a $500 POS. I've been into RC's my whole life more or less. Owned more than 10 trucks, 4 buggies, a heli, 2 planes and 2 boats including this one and I have yet to see something built so cheap as the Venom Segad BL Cat. The day I received it I doubted its quality when I looked at those puny BL outrunners, the chinese ESC's and the sweat shop level of build quality. This thing screams junk. Some one please give me some suggestions for a decent replacement for this thing. I'm giving Venom a chance to defend their customer support by emailing them, supplying photos and giving them a chance to back their product but if Customer Service follows suit to their quality of merchandise I expect I'll never hear from them. I'll keep you posted as to progress. Seriously right now I'm considering a Traxxas Spartan. They may not be the top performance boat of the fleet but I have had and do have products from them and they are a reputable company who stands behind their products and build some decent cars. I would assume that same pride is carried over into their Marine products.
    Do you steel have the Segad. I am looking to buy one. Thanks.