Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Runs - New 42" Thunder Tiger Outlaw OBL

Thumbs up First Runs - New 40" Thunder Tiger Outlaw OBL

Well this is a follow up of the thread I started a couple weeks ago...you can find that conversation/topic here: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...-few-questions

Some info on the boat.

Running a Leopard 3674 B/2Y/4 Pole 1700kv Motor with SeaKing 120a ESC and 2x 2s 4400mah 30c Lipos

This is a brand new boat, never been run until tonight. I didn't do any hardware/driveline adjustments, just ran it as is so still lots of tuning and dialing in for my future visits.

Maiden voyage video I put a smaller prop from my Proboat Formula Fastech on it which is equivalent in size to a Prather 215.

All other videos I was running the stock Prather 225 Prop.

I had Timing set at 7.5* not sure if this is correct with this motor or if I should change it higher or lower any input is greatly appreciated.

Both Props I had issues with cavitation and getting up on plane so I am guessing I need to make some driveline adjustments...suggestions welcome as I am still fairly new to all this.

I estimate about 35+mph as my shockwave runs 29-30mph consistently and this boat walks right on by it with ease..will have to gps it one of the next times out.

Very happy with it so far. It's a big boat and tons of fun to drive and it handles great. Motor and ESC were hardly warm with either prop..just the batteries were little bit warmer...got aprox. 5-6minutes run time on the 4400mah batteries.

First Run

Second and Thurd Run - put stock prop on

This run is with my shockwave running at the same time.

Last edited by Visual Perfection; 03-28-2012 at 11:10 AM.
    The Speeders *PB SW 26 BL *PB Formula FASTech
    The Cruiser *CBM Marlin Cruiser
    The Pool Toys *Proboat Mini-C (x2)

Your boat would run much better if you went to a larger diameter, lower pitch rate prop like an x452 or x455 (or even larger). The props you are running are tiny on that boat. 4s is very low voltage to run in that large of a hull, and you may run into a problem trying to turn larger props with 120A/14v.

Looks like it runs well, nice scenery there too........................

That boat is screaming for a Leopard 4092 2y on 6s2p!!!!!!!!!!!
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by Make-a-Wake View Post
    Looks like it runs well, nice scenery there too........................

That boat is screaming for a Leopard 4092 2y on 6s2p!!!!!!!!!!!
    Haha, one day maybe, but no time soon. Have some things around the house I want done so money will be going to those things for now.

For running on 4s and being such a large boat and the setup that is in it...I think this thing really does run quite well. I think it is even quicker than my Formula Fastech is on 4s. It is rock solid on the water too, I had no concerns with waves, wind, or turning..it just stuck to the water real nice..

Yeah it really looks great................consider the 4092 as your birthday or Christmas gift..............maybe let wifey see the pic, and a link!
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

Haha, you read my mind. Thats how I got my fastech too. For my 2010 Birthday I had told her I really liked that boat and showed her the link to it here on OSE when it was on sale. I ended up with it for my Birthday. Boats just make good gifts lol

Threw our Garmin GPS from our car in the boat tonight. Max speed was 33.8 mph. Just about what I was looking for to start with. Now I need to learn how to fine tune things and experiment and I bet I can get a few more mph out of it.

My batteries are getting very warm, almost hot, so I may have to get a higher C rated battery. I figured 4400 mah 30c would be sufficient but maybe it's not.

Motor and ESC were good temps though. 4mm connectors from battery to esc were getting hot, gonna change them out to 5.5mm bullets

Might try out 5s as well, being I have one matching set to try

You may try 5s...........................and an x440..................

I am guessing I need to disable the BEC to run 5s? Looking at those SBEC's from HK but I don't really understand all that or know how to hook it up etc..

Would that prop be too small? I am already running a prather 225, and ran a Fastech Prop which is same as prather 215 and I couldn't get it on plane hardly with that prop tonight...isn't a x440 smaller?

I'm just kinda grasping here really....................i was trying to think of a way to give you a bit more speed......................maybe not 5s then. How about 4s and an s220????? How were your remps?

Just kinda out of my element with a big hull and a small motor............................i kinda go the opposite way

My latest............39" Racemaster with a 5692 crammed in it on 8s2p
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's a HUGE motor lol looks like you don't have any room to spare!

Ran my boat again tonight on 4s and changed the timing from 7.5* to 11.5* and everything ran way cooler, esc and motor were barely warm at all. Speed however dropped to 32.6mph which I am not sure if it is due to the timing or other factors, but I decided to try 5s being it was running so cool and GPS'd it at 39.8 mph. Brought it in and everything was still nice and cool. Just changing the timing seems to have made a huge difference with temps. 40mph with this big boat is really fun, It is real stable and so smooth across the water.

Keep in mind 40mph is really the fastest boat I have ever driven so to ME it seems fast.....for now.

I may have to try a little bit bigger prop next. Might pick up some graupners since they are cheap and I can try a few different sizes to experiment with speed and temps without spending a fortune.

So as of right now I am pretty happy with temps and speed...

What prop did you run on 5s?

Stock Prop which is a Prather 225

A couple better videos from tonight.

Ran the boat on 4s first video - hit 34.6mph

Ran the boat on 5s second video - hit 44.8 mph but was unstable. Made adjustments (didn't get video after making them) and then it ran 43.3 mph..still needs a little bit more tweaking but it is getting close.

Motor temps after the 5s run at 44.8mph was 109*F, Batteries 115* and ESC was about 115* as well

Temps on 5s run after adjustments...motor about the same, batteries around 150*F (LVC went off so batteries were low when I brough it in which could have something to do with it) and esc was around 150*...little worried on those, but figured it was the end of the run when the batteries were done for so maybe that was part of it.

All these I was using the BEC from the ESC, which I know isn't smart but I have a receiver pack coming in the next day or so, then I will be running that.

Thats alot of prop for 5s and a 36mm XL motor, kinda suprises me really. Those Turnigy 4 polers are really turning out to be solid.................Glad it all worked out, my brain still cant quite process a 42" hull with a 3674 swingin' an s225 at 34,000 rpms with a 120a speedo...................great job!

Thats alot of prop for 5s and a 36mm XL motor, kinda suprises me really. Those Turnigy 4 polers are really turning out to be solid.................Glad it all worked out, my brain still cant quite process a 42" hull with a 3674 swingin' an s225 at 34,000 rpms with a 120a speedo...................great job!
    Ya I know, I never expected the results I am getting being this setup was expected to be way too underpowered. Somehow though temps seem reasonable but I think I am running borderline right now and I might give my smaller prop a try again and check temps. On 4s the smaller prop had trouble getting the boat up on plane, but with the extra RPM's I might have better success. If I can get 40mph with 5s on a smaller prop with lower temps I will be plenty happy with that for now.

Biggest surprise is the motor is staying really cool I expected the ESC to get pretty warm being I know I need to bump up to a 180... but motor wise, these leopard motors seem great.

This hull is actually 39.25" not 42"
    that needs a good amount of motor for faster speeds and preferably on 6s
    I have one with a CC1717 motor and a Peter Z mount for it
    I should run upper 50's all day with that motor..
    Motor and mount may go up for sale...
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

well for what I use it for, mid 40s is really as fast as I care to go... 50's would be a disaster in light to medium chop lol

Btw, how do you have yours set up...any pictures of the hardware? Mine runs great around 35-40mph but once I go beyond that it seems to get unstable. I adjusted the trim tabs but that just made it plow water it seemed like, and I played a bit with the prop angle but couldn't get it right it seemed like. I have 3 - 5s packs now to run through it so next time I will have to monkey with it some more being I will have some extra run time to experiment.

And your right, I just measured it and it is just a hair under 40"...I was just going by what I was told and never actually got the tape out.

This hull is a DF39 splash..
    Reason I bought mine was I watched the nitro version with a mod motor take on the Gas Monos 2 years ago at NAMBA20 and it did awesome!
    Took the corners great and cut through the race wake really well.. not sure of speeds but they were going plenty fast...
    I've not run mine yet as I'm thinking of going with a 5692 1320kv for more uhmph to run against the gas guys for kicks..

Check your cg and start at 29% :)
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Will do. I think I have had it around 28% but I will play with it. The issue I was running across was my single 5s battery fits perfect in the little compartment for it, and moving the little bit I can forward or backwards in there didn't change the COG at all..maybe 1/8" change.

Any suggestions on different placement or ways to change the COG easily?

if its loose lets move your packs and get your CG about 31%
    I lay my packs along side the rails..

That sounds good but I need to figure out how to position it with only one 5s pack being I am only running one.... Should I still place them on the side and just equal the other side out with a weight? Hmmm or maybe I wonder if I run my single pack in the tray that is already there and then have an adjustable amount of weight in front of the motor that I can adjust until the COG is correct. Just need to come up with some ideas of what to use for weight and how to keep it in place.

Can you post some pics of the insides?

Can you post some pics of the insides?
    this one is mine...

I wonder if both 5s batts would fit............one on each side to run 5s2p?

I wonder if both 5s batts would fit............one on each side to run 5s2p?
    Yes they will

The inside of mine looks like the first picture Brushless posted. I like that little box as it holds my ESC and servo so nicely and my packs fit perfectly inside it with the cover that bolts down on it to help protect it from water in case of a flip.

So Ideally I would like to keep my 5s pack in the tray and then perhaps put some weight in that little area between the box and the front divider to adjust the COG.. I don't think it should take much to change the COG a few %.

I just need to figure out what I want to use for weight, and how I want to keep it in place.

I certainly dont know your level of experience but i have never heard of anyone putting their batts in a radio box, and adding dead weight doesnt make sense when you can go 2p with both packs aside the motor for huge cog adjustment, and extend your batt life by not stressing an individual pack. Lets see what brushless55 thinks about my suggestion......

I certainly dont know your level of experience but i have never heard of anyone putting their batts in a radio box, and adding dead weight doesnt make sense when you can go 2p with both packs aside the motor for huge cog adjustment, and extend your batt life by not stressing an individual pack. Lets see what brushless55 thinks about my suggestion......
    yeah the radio box is cool but much better to rid the weight, remount the esc, and use the lipos to addust CG

Update: I went ahead and mounted 2x 5s batteries along side the rails. I have it setup so I can adjust the COG now from 26% to 32%

I ran it at 30% and the boat ran WAY more stable. I no longer have to be constantly letting off the throttle when going over my wake or chop on the water because it is getting out of control.

The stability I'm sure is also due in part to the extra weight now too.

I only ran 1 pack (don't have a parallel connector made up yet) and the other was just in there for weight. I only got one run in before it was getting dark and I needed to pack up and head home. I was pleased with the results. Now what do I do when I am running a 2s and 3s pack in series to make 5s...how do I even out the weight on both sides or is it not a big deal?

I did melt part of the plastic housing these new batteries came with around the 4mm bullets but other than that, battery temp was 128* after the run, Motor was about 110* and ESC was about 115*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast