Thread: 3 runs on plastic prop...need advice please

Default 3 runs on plastic prop...need advice please

Hi, new to the rc boating hobby. Just bought a brushless Miss Elam and after only 3 runs I've noticed a crack starting to form on the prop

Don't want to get it stranded out in the middle of the lake at the park and lose cool points so would like to upgrade to a nice metal one.

Thats when things got overwelming, there are so many choices

I'm running a straight from the box stock Miss Elam(1500kv motor) with 5100 mah NiMH batteries that came from Proboat as well. (don't want to jump into lipos...I know)

Any recommendations for a mostly stock replacement...if possible maybe a slight performance upgrade?

The factory prop has a brass insert, does this get transfered to the new prop? I think the shaft size is 3/16ths.

I realize that these metal props need balanced, polished, etc. and am willing to give it a try.

Any help is appreciated...

Just want to get that plastic one off there before it breaks!

Thanks, Gabriel

If its a stock 40mm pro boat prop I think the closest to that is the Prather 225 (someone will correct me if I'm wrong) you could try an octura x640 too. I personally pay to have my props sharpened and balanced due to the health issues from breathing in the dust. As fit the insert in your stock prop, yes that will fit in an octura prop to make it fit your setup.

Here is the prop that came on my boat originally...

http://www.philshobbyshop.com/catalo...site_propeller

After pulling out my trusty standard/metric ruler I see 40mm is right at 1.6"

Doing searches on here I see that x640 comes up alot. I only have 5100mah NiMH batterys for power, would this be to much prop in my application?

The Prather 225 looks nice... http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...prathersb-s225

Heck, they all look nice. I see its listed as 1.84 dia vs 1.6 for the original plastic one. Is a little bigger a good thing in my application?

What does the second measurement of 2.5 represent on the plastic one? Pitch?

Ideally a little bit of a performance gain with the added durability of having a metal prop is what I'd love to have, if the Prather 225 will get me there that'd be great! Now only if it were in stock:'(

Thanks for the help by the way, it's much appreciated.

Gabriel

I would try the x640. Is the setup the same as the bj26? (1500kv motor and 45a esc) if so you could also try the x642 for a bit of added performance. Also look at making the switch to lipos. I only sport run so I dont spend loads of money on batteries. I just use turnigy lipos and find them fine. I've only had 1 bad battery in about 2 years. The cost of lipos these days especially makes like turnigy and zippy make them about the same price as nimhs and a charger like the accucel 6 is cheap as chips. You will wonder why you ran anything else!

You could try the graupned carbon props they might work better if you didn't want to have to sharpen and balance the props
    http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/cat...led+Propellers
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

Quote Originally Posted by jamespl View Post
    I would try the x640. Is the setup the same as the bj26? (1500kv motor and 45a esc) if so you could also try the x642 for a bit of added performance. Also look at making the switch to lipos.
    I wasn't familiar with the bj26 so I looked it up...yes it has the exact same motor and esc.

I just got back from the park had had my best run yet...a bit more runtime after using the esc programmer to lower the low voltage cutoff. Also when it does kick in it goes to 50% power vs. just cutting off like it did with the factory setting. Big improvement!

That x640 or x642...I believe I read that the "x" meant lifting prop. Forgive me but what does that mean exactly, as it is right now it gets up on plane great right now...you can see the entire transom when running. How will these affect the boat? The miss elam does not have a adjustable strut...would that cause me trouble with these props?

Currently the motor and batteries feel barely warm after running. I'm guessing these two would increase the load a bit, would my NiMH batteries suffice? Lipos maybe one day but with just getting back into the rc world, rebuilding all my old cars (10th scale pan cars, RC10, etc) I've about tapped out the rc budget. Heck, this is my first brushless anything and I still can't wrap my head around a motor without brushes! Baby steps I guess...

One more question, by chance could you clarify what the second number represents on this prop...it's the one that came on my boat out of the box.

http://www.philshobbyshop.com/catalo...site_propeller

Thanks for taking time to help a new guy out...

Gabriel
    Last edited by wingman; 03-19-2012 at 01:46 PM.
    Too many hobbies and never enough time...

Quote Originally Posted by JimClark View Post
    You could try the graupned carbon props they might work better if you didn't want to have to sharpen and balance the props
    http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/cat...led+Propellers
    Wow, those are really affordable. Do they hold up ok?

I know the "Fiberglass reinforced nylon" of my original prop is terrible.

It is nice that they're ready to bolt on.

Sounds like that prop dust is really serious, I'll be careful if I go that route.

There's something about having a beautifully polished shiny prop hanging off the back of the boat though.

Anymore suggestions?

Gabriel

I have used them on my 1/10th Scale hydro and they work great.
    Billy Graham

Ok, would you have a recommendation in that brand of prop for my boat?

probably 45 to 47 mm
    Billy Graham

Ok, thank you... I'll give this one a shot...

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...od=grp-2317.45

By chance could you tell me what the second number relates to on my original prop?

Anyone else want to share some knowledge / recommendations with me...

Still wondering about the lifting props

Gabriel

Wow, ordered a few of those graupned carbon props to try out here from www.offshoreelectrics.com and already got notification that they've been shipped today!

Nice... thanks for the quick service!

Got a prop balancer on the way too...

So is it unanimous, are the x640 or x642 the other two candidates for me?

Any other suggestions welcomed...

Here's the new pride and joy

DSC01067 - Copy.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by JimClark View Post
    probably 45 to 47 mm
    *UPDATE*

Well, put the 45mm prop on and noticed a difference. I believe its faster...seems to jump around a bit more in the front but not enough to blow over I don't think.

The NiMH batteries are already getting old, don't seem to get much runtime (maybe 5 minutes tops)

I think you guys know whats next

Thanks for the help.

Gabriel