Thread: Steering Servo question??

Default Steering Servo question??

I know nothing about servos, I need a steering servo that has a lot of "Operating Travel", I want to replace the steering servo in my Spartan (to see if it turns sharper at low speed) If that does not work then its going in an Apparition. I don't know any of the specifications I need. I just need a "cheapy" one, I'm placing an oder with Hobbypartz today, but just do not know what I'm looking for. Any info or model and brand would be great.

thanks

Mr.T

This ones my favorite, http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...p?prod=dh-2075 , but there are others that will work fine. Look for something with at least 80 or more inch/ounce torque force and being water proof never hurts.

John
    Change is the one Constant

2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Nearly all servos have 90 degrees of travel, aeroplane retract servos have 180 degrees but are generally to slow for use in anything else, if you want more or less rudder movement move the linkage on the arms, moving out a hole on the servo arm and/or in a hole on the rudder arm will give you a greater angle of rudder movement for the same servo travel and conversely moving in a hole on the servo arm and/or out a hole on the rudder arm will decrease the rudder movement for the same servo travel.

Changing the leverage of the arms to increase rudder travel reduces the servo's torque as the torque is a weight/distance measurement and your increasing the distance so the weight has to go down to compensate, and at the same time it will require more torque to move that rudder to a greater angle so if your servo is marginal at the moment you may want to upgrade to one with more torque capable of running the rudder through a greater angle with less leverage.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    Tony have you used that and the 227 ? been hearing good things about them there just so inexpensive. Think i might try one in my SC10

Jason Sims

Quote Originally Posted by line6 View Post
    Tony have you used that and the 227 ? been hearing good things about them there just so inexpensive. Think i might try one in my SC10

Jason Sims
    Hi Jason !

I've used the D226F in just every boat I have and they're not bad; lots of torque. My search started after killing lots of expensive servos in my tunnel which need Hi torque; flips crank the outdrive over, strip the D226F out, but @ $14.70 for the D226F I can live with that. I haven't tried the D227F - it's 111 oz/in compared to the 180 oz/in of the
    D226F so I've used the higher torque number- high travel speed like the D227F in tunnels, at least in my experience is not a good thing.

I've since switched to this : http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...5g_0_2sec.html. Great specs, fairly unbreakable. NOT remotely water resistant 'tho. I bought 4 from HK; one was doa but I'll just eat it rather than engage their support. Might be too heavy for riggers.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Ya Tony know what u mean about the tunnels. I have run one of the turningy blue one don't know the # but it just always seems noisy.

Jason sims