Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: '67 Blonde Miss Bardahl 1/10 Shovel

Took her out in her first race-- NAMBA district 9, held in Fremont, CA on August 26 and had a blast. The class was P-limited sport hydro, and my boat is actually too long for that class (37"in vs. limit of 34"), but since I was running a P-limited motor on 4S1P there were no objections to letting me run it for fun. 5 boats ran that class, and there was another yellow Miss Bardahl, but a more modern picklefork version.

1st heat: water was a bit choppy in the morning, so I set the lipos back a bit-- and blew over in turn 1 in the mill... bummer.
    2nd heat: moved the packs up a little, got it spot on. Boat ran well. Got a crappy start however-- late off the line and a boat in front of me blew over so I had to back off. But 2 more boats blew over and I ended up with 2nd place
    3rd heat: boat ran well, took 3rd
    4th heat: running well, took 3rd

Boat was handling really well and aside from the 1st heat stayed on the water-- I was actually surprised as it was pretty windy out there. Speed was pretty good, but I was taking the turns really wide to stay in clean water and out of trouble...

Here is heat 4, best of the day. I'm in back at the mill, but jump to 2nd place at the start. My son's phone ran out of memory so only got half the race. I was lapped by the 1st place boat, but on the straights I was holding my own. Really need to work on my driving in the corners...

Here's heat 2 with the very poor start, but there are some good shots of the boat.

Monojeff- the all up weight with lipos is 6.8lbs, and that includes the 6oz of lead weight I have up in the nose. I didn't get around to measuring the prop weight, but the COG is just behind the turn fin.

One note, my turn fin is pretty much raw-- I need to sharpen it for the next run.

Chief

Sounds like your learning and having fun and that's what matters.

Might I ask why you added weight instead of just moving batteries around to make up the difference?
    OSE GIFTING ELF
    HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

Quote Originally Posted by monojeff View Post
    Sounds like your learning and having fun and that's what matters.

Might I ask why you added weight instead of just moving batteries around to make up the difference?
    I added the extra weight for 2 reasons-- first, I wanted to be able to get the batteries back just a bit to make them easier to drop in and out. Without the weight I really had to shove them completely up into the nose, and that made access difficult.

Second, I wanted to bias some weight towards the side with the turn fin, but I again I wanted to keep the batteries centered for easier access. I took one 3 oz lead strip and put it orientated left-right as far forward in the nose as I could reach, and I took a 2nd 3oz strip and placed it along the right sponson in front of the turn fin orientated front-back. Since the boat was carbon fiber, it was super light to begin with so adding some extra weight was not a problem. I have to say, the extra weight helps keep the boat settled-- it runs better this way vs. just the lipos way up in the nose.

Chief

Yeah my boat weight is just under 6lbs and often times wonder how it would run with slightly more weight.
    I built it myself and could actually take some weight away if I really wanted due to the cowling and motor being pretty heavy.

Strange to see the scale boats turning right.

Having access to batteries is a big plus I can vouch for that.
    1 setup I run they are not easy to get where they need to be and everything is tight in my boat to begin with.
    OSE GIFTING ELF
    HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

Quote Originally Posted by monojeff View Post
    Strange to see the scale boats turning right.
    Nobody else in my neighborhood runs LHT... oh well. I had the builder make the boat so I can run it either LHT or RHT-- turnfin and rudder reinforcing plates are on both sides of the boat, so I can swap things around if we get a true 1/10 scale class up and running over here. I can also easily change her back to shaft drive as well.

Got any pics of your boat?

Chief

I have an entire build thread on here somewhere.
    When get back on my computer I'll see if I can find it.

Lots of battle scares on it now. Infact have to fix my wing before the next race.
    OSE GIFTING ELF
    HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

Randy from BBY racing has my boat at the moment and is building custom hatch covers to make this girl water tight. Took moulds of the motor bay, etc. Gonna be a sweet boat when she's done.

In the meantime, here's a nice vid, available in HD and also SlowMo

Chief

I asked Randy from BBY Racing to mould some hatches so I can make her waterproof. Randy sent me some pictures of the progress, see attached. It'll be nice to run the boat without flooding it on capsizes...

Chief
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here are a few more pics of the custom hatch Randy made for me at BBY Racing. Hope to get the motor built out and painted this summer...

Chief
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here's a really nice video (HD) of Miss Bardahl running against a 1/12 Miss Budweiser. Randy's custom waterproof hatches are working really well. It was pretty windy, suprised we did not blow over!

Chief
    Last edited by BHChieftain; 04-14-2013 at 07:36 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12