Thread: Mystic stock prop

Default Mystic stock prop

Maybe Darin will chime in.

Anybody know the details on the prop that comes with the boat? Looks like a Prather.

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    Maybe Darin will chime in.

Anybody know the details on the prop that comes with the boat? Looks like a Prather.
    Terry,

As near as anyone knows, it's essentially a copy of a Prather 215. The Miss Geico plastic prop is about the same. I've measured them and they have right around a 2.57" pitch. In testing, the plastic version is actually a little faster for top speed... but, it's PLASTIC...

I think that sometime early on, they (Pro Boat), had some kind of working relationship with Prather and were able to use the 215 as a model for these. However, it appears to me that they modeled an un-prepped version of the prop. The Stiletto and Mystic prop is pretty thick.

I spend some time prepping one once and it did make a difference. I haven't tried tweaking on one to find out just how hard the stainless is. I'm not sure how they are made, but I'm guessing some kind of casting process.

With a prop box full of already prepped props of this size, I haven't had the urge to spend a lot of time with it.

If you are running the stock 1800KV motor... give a 440/3 a try... Not the fastest at the top end, but the boat ROCKETS off the turns with this prop... properly prepped, of course...
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Gotcha. Thought it looked Prather.....ish.

I don't think I should share what I ran on the Geico. Much like you guys and the SAW boats, if someone reads and just throws the same thing on theirs without their setup exactly like mine it may end up torched. I'm right at the edge of a melt down. I didn't run the 1800 last summer but that doesn't mean I wont in the end. I did try the 2030 AQ too but the boat didn't like all the RPM. More blade and less rpm from the SVR motor seemed to be the sweet spot. I would imagine the 1800 motor is really close to the same. Haven't got this new one wet yet.

I really like the hardware on these by the way. Plenty of adjustment in multiple directions. Plus, this hull is a lot straighter than the last one too. Didn't spend nearly as much time working the bottom.

As long as I gotcha. Is there anything new on the horizon from Spektrum? I'm thinking about replacing my radio. For me there is no Spektrum substitute. The last radio they hit the market with was the DX3R Pro I think last summer. They're surely not just resting on their success.

Terry,

I have always found it odd that people race to replace the stock MG motors with the higher KV stuff... I, too, find that the lower RPM and decent prop combo works well. The 1800KV is a good in-between setup. Boat rips.

I'm glad the hulls are coming straighter... I was working with them on this. I think they were pulling them from the mold too soon on the previous (original) batch. They also were asked to do a little more work on them to try to correct this.

The hardware is good quality... it's not EXACTLY how I had drawn it up, but they got it close.

As for Spektrum... I haven't heard of anything for Surface yet, beyond the DX3R-Pro, but this is a FANTASTIC TX! 50-Model Memory, dropped wheel, tons of programming features, SD-Card upgrade interface...

I'm sure they may be working on some other stuff, but they haven't let me in on it if they are.

I do have a DX8 on it's way, as well as the new STi interface for it. This allows the real-time telemetry to be viewed, and SAVED, on an i-device (iPod, iPad, iPhone, etc...)... They don't have a current measuring function yet, but I can get RPM, temps, voltages, etc... Might be kind of nice to have.

I'm sure they have other things on the way. They are pretty secretive about this stuff until there is something to actually field test, so we'll all just have to wait and see...
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

The SVR motor is a better motor than the 2030 is. In my opinion at least. It just doesn't work for everything. The old Blackjack 1500 is a great motor. I expect the 1800 to be of the same quality. The Geico I was running wasn't an RTR so I ran what I had. Didn't have the 1800 Proboat motor at the time.

I'm not sure why everyone thinks RPM RPM RPM. Better to find the prop the boat likes. Back in the day, Kelly and I used to pick our setups for offshore based on getting the biggest prop we could turn. Torque and gears to get it. Acceleration was the goal. Especially when we were doing Lemans starts. If you could be the first one to the hairpin the rest had to get through the hole you chopped in the water. Then your leaving slop at every turn while you run in clean water. Fred used to turn a 450 on a Titan29 with 18 cells. Talk about the hole shot.

I'll probably pick up the Pro. I just hate to shell out the dough only to find out there's a newer better version. Not sure why I worry. The last one has lasted 3 years. 2 nationals, 3 summers of club racing, 1 SAW. Sometimes in the rain. Only problem ever was a broken thumb wheel I mashed. Sheesh, about got myself talked out of a new one. I like to represent though. Even if it's unofficially. Ra RA ree! Kick em in the knee! haha

HAHA GOTCHA! Given any thought to that other proposition I had for ya? What if I got you some high powered expert support so you wouldn't be on your own?