Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leopard vs HK 3674's

Default Leopard vs HK 3674's

Over on RCU someone has taken apart a pair of 3674's for comparison, by pictures they are not the same motor. Stators are completely different.
    He them did some pulls with air props I guess, he compared a leopard, the HK and a stock genesis motor.
    The HK motor had the highest amp draw out the 3, but there were no rpm or torque numbers so it may have put out more power.
    The stock genesis motor was just slightly behind the leopard in terms of amp draw.
    Not my work or findings, not sure what he used to get the values and some important data is missing.
    Thought I'd post this as he does have pictures of the two taken apart.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10994002/tm.htm

How big a difference does a slotted stator make vs a non slotted stator? I was under the assumption that with modern magnets and manufacturing there wasn't much of a difference anymore.
    If my boats upside down then who owns the one I thought I was driving the last two laps?

That whole darn shootout was just plain silly. One used motor, one new motor. One being 1650kv the other 2200kv. Assuming a slotted design is better? Not really and on the contrary, read this. http://www.servo2go.com/support/file...TECHNOLOGY.pdf

It would have had some merit if the 2 were new and of the same kv.

This has been the big question for some time is the HK Turnigy motors the same motors inside as the Leopards. The thing that i questioned was HK Turnigy motors that had the same numbers ie model numbers & kv as the Leopards had a much lower max voltage than the equivalent Leopard.

Who care about his " motor test" never claimed it had any validity, the pics of the motors were the interesting part. Don't think the construction of the stator will change once a motor is run! Very well might with the difference in KV though.
    Anyway. First time I've seen ANYBODY post pics of the two side by side taken apart. Heard lots of guesses educated and not as to if they are the same motor.
    Still waiting for someone here to take apart a pair that are the same KV and put an end to the debate. Talk is cheap, at least that guy tried to figure it out!
    If my boats upside down then who owns the one I thought I was driving the last two laps?

This would explain why the Turnigy motors are so cheap compared with the Leopards (i had herd that Leopard dealers couldnt buy Leopards for the price HK were selling the Turnigys for). With no slotted stator they are probably much cheaper to produce. I was thinking of trying one of the HK ones hoping they were the same motor inside but ill stick with the Leopards.

Hmmm, productions runs and line changes happen all the time. This does not mean what you see is what you get. Here are pics of my Turnigy 4082 1600kv delivered within the last month. If somebody with a Leopard 4082 1600 can do the same we can see the differences. It has a slotted stator if that is what you are looking for. The same leopard goes for $110 the Turnigy goes for $50. There are likely subtle differences such as bearings and maybe magnet quality. The Turnigy uses CZ&TJ brand bearings which is some unheard of outfit in China but does not mean they are not very good quality. Casing and fitment are fantastic quality.

I own all leopard now, but I did at one point buy a green tacon, which lasted about 5 runs then broke. I'm curious about these hk motors, because I am looking for motors for some budget builds I'm doing. Def interested in quality. My leopards have been good to me....

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    I own all leopard now, but I did at one point buy a green tacon, which lasted about 5 runs then broke. I'm curious about these hk motors, because I am looking for motors for some budget builds I'm doing. Def interested in quality. My leopards have been good to me....
    I used an orange Tacon 1700kv all summer long in my Spartan which ran long and hard without a hitch. Like this one. http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m812-3674-1700kv.html

Yes I was informed later that the orange tacons are closer to leopard than the green ones. Not sure why. Plenty of guys on here use the green ones with no problem, maybe I just got a lemon. The stator blew apart on mine

The stator & rotor in that 4082 look the same as my Leopard 4074, the bearings in my 4074 are NSK made in Indonesia. Maybe just cheaper bearings in some of the Turnigy models.

Problem is, what bearing is best? Single seal, double seal, no seal, stainless, ceramic? If you like or think NSK is better, then pop a couple in. They are rather cheap and certainly are no where near the price differance. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...All-Categories. Personally I think you should have a few in the tool box just in case no matter what brand motor you choose. I like to take my motors apart every so often and clean them up and also spray a little jigaloo in them to keep things lubed and water resistant. What is jigaloo? http://www.jigaloo.com/ca/e_products_jigaloo.php

I guess we have to readjust our ideas of marketing, try to adopt the chinese mentality.
    To me it makes no sense for the manufacturer to sell a motor that has developed a reputation for quality, then turn around and sell the same motor under a bunch of different names for up half the price.
    To me it's the same as GM selling a 'vette as a Geo for half the price for the same car, go figure which people would buy.
    Either we're paying a huge markup for the leopard name or there is some difference we're missing aside from bearings, Quality of copper? Are the magnets the same? Cheaper grade of materials for stator and shaft?
    I traded my leopard 4074 for a Motley Crew before running it, a couple of us are going to be running the 3665 2100kv HK motor in JAE riggers this summer. Have to see what's inside when I get it.
    I'll have the Eagletree hooked up to it so I'll get some data when things thaw.

Quote Originally Posted by siberianhusky View Post
    Over on RCU someone has taken apart a pair of 3674's for comparison, by pictures they are not the same motor. Stators are completely different.
    He them did some pulls with air props I guess, he compared a leopard, the HK and a stock genesis motor.
    The HK motor had the highest amp draw out the 3, but there were no rpm or torque numbers so it may have put out more power.
    The stock genesis motor was just slightly behind the leopard in terms of amp draw.
    Not my work or findings, not sure what he used to get the values and some important data is missing.
    Thought I'd post this as he does have pictures of the two taken apart.

How big a difference does a slotted stator make vs a non slotted stator? I was under the assumption that with modern magnets and manufacturing there wasn't much of a difference anymore.
    The Turnigy except the dif kv is a 2 pol motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowride View Post
    Problem is, what bearing is best? Single seal, double seal, no seal, stainless, ceramic? If you like or think NSK is better, then pop a couple in. They are rather cheap and certainly are no where near the price differance. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...All-Categories. Personally I think you should have a few in the tool box just in case no matter what brand motor you choose. I like to take my motors apart every so often and clean them up and also spray a little jigaloo in them to keep things lubed and water resistant. What is jigaloo? http://www.jigaloo.com/ca/e_products_jigaloo.php
    When i buy a Leopard the first thing i do is to put a pair ceramic bearings.
    They are wear resist and high rpm.

I have run the 4074 2000kv in my genesis on 4s since dec and it runs a dream. With a x645 prop it doesn't even get warm after a 5-6min run and that's with the timing at 15deg. I can't say if they are as good as the leopards but for the price I will deffo be using them again.

Quote Originally Posted by siberianhusky View Post
    I guess we have to readjust our ideas of marketing, try to adopt the chinese mentality.
    To me it makes no sense for the manufacturer to sell a motor that has developed a reputation for quality, then turn around and sell the same motor under a bunch of different names for up half the price.
    To me it's the same as GM selling a 'vette as a Geo for half the price for the same car, go figure which people would buy.
    Either we're paying a huge markup for the leopard name or there is some difference we're missing aside from bearings, Quality of copper? Are the magnets the same? Cheaper grade of materials for stator and shaft?
    I traded my leopard 4074 for a Motley Crew before running it, a couple of us are going to be running the 3665 2100kv HK motor in JAE riggers this summer. Have to see what's inside when I get it.
    I'll have the Eagletree hooked up to it so I'll get some data when things thaw.
    the leopards a few years back were just as cheap, however once taken apart, used and proven by the masses the price almost doubled. Go figure.

My only experience so far is leopards 1 tacon 0. I realize we're talking hk motor here, but that's my experience with a cheaper motor....

I used an orange Tacon 1700kv all summer long in my Spartan which ran long and hard without a hitch. Like this one. http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m812-3674-1700kv.html
    I put that same 1700kv motor in my supervee...it is a power house and runs cool on 4s..on 6s it had no problem turning a 442 3 blade and waaaaay more power then SV needed or could use...but being a novice after about 6 mins i burned a 120 seaking esc and puffed to 4000 25 gens packs...But the motor was not harmed...I think this motor would work great in my new motley crew using a 200 amp esc and a octura x440 or x442/2 on 5s...I am wondering if it is same as turngy 36-74-1700kv or there 2200 kv? i BET THe 2200kv would be great with x440/2 on 5s in MC... I like the 40-74 size but i think they are over kill and would cut run time down about 1-2 mins,but being only in this hobby for 4 months just not sure...

The guy on RCUniverse used the 1650 2 pole to compare with a 4 pole Leopard.................duh............

Last edited by Make-a-Wake; 03-11-2012 at 10:36 PM.
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by Hatetocrash View Post
    I put that same 1700kv motor in my supervee...it is a power house and runs cool on 4s..on 6s it had no problem turning a 442 3 blade and waaaaay more power then SV needed or could use...but being a novice after about 6 mins i burned a 120 seaking esc and puffed to 4000 25 gens packs...But the motor was not harmed...I think this motor would work great in my new motley crew using a 200 amp esc and a octura x440 or x442/2 on 5s...I am wondering if it is same as turngy 36-74-1700kv or there 2200 kv? i BET THe 2200kv would be great with x440/2 on 5s in MC... I like the 40-74 size but i think they are over kill and would cut run time down about 1-2 mins,but being only in this hobby for 4 months just not sure...
    I really like the Tacon Orange line, In fact I have 2 of the 1700kv units and 2 of the 1300kv units. The 1700 was run on 6S exclusively with a T180 ESC. Unfortunately the $39 deals seem to out of stock across the board. This video is rather interesting comparing Tacon/Leopard/Castle http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA4ejiBGAUg

I really like the Tacon Orange line, In fact I have 2 of the 1700kv units and 2 of the 1300kv units. The 1700 was run on 6S exclusively with a T180 ESC. Unfortunately the $39 deals seem to out of stock across the board. This video is rather interesting comparing Tacon/Leopard/Castle http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA4ejiBGAUg
    Thanks Snowride, are u familiar with the aquacraft MC? if so do u think the tacon 36-74-1700kv would be a good upgrade... i want it to jump out of the hole and have mid fifties top end...i think with a 200 amp esc,x442/2 on 5or 6s it should performlike this...if not please share your opinion....Just ran her about an hour ago using total stock setup with sky 5000mah 40c packs..i have it set up pretty good nice and light on the front,but it can't be doing more then 36-37 mph...with the sharpened and balanced x442 speed was maybe a little faster,but everything including batteries got much hotter then i like,so using anything but a stock size prop is not something i will be doing..I deffinitely am ready for more power and speed,my 24'' surge crusher flys with stock 36-56-2000kv,seaking 120amp,5s and octura x440/2(around 50mph top end and jumps out of the water on starts)so i want my MC to leave my crusher in its wake as i love the design and look of this cat a lot...thanks

Thanks Snowride, are u familiar with the aquacraft MC? if so do u think the tacon 36-74-1700kv would be a good upgrade... i want it to jump out of the hole and have mid fifties top end...i think with a 200 amp esc,x442/2 on 5or 6s it should performlike this...if not please share your opinion....Just ran her about an hour ago using total stock setup with sky 5000mah 40c packs..i have it set up pretty good nice and light on the front,but it can't be doing more then 36-37 mph...with the sharpened and balanced x442 speed was maybe a little faster,but everything including batteries got much hotter then i like,so using anything but a stock size prop is not something i will be doing..I deffinitely am ready for more power and speed,my 24'' surge crusher flys with stock 36-56-2000kv,seaking 120amp,5s and octura x440/2(around 50mph top end and jumps out of the water on starts)so i want my MC to leave my crusher in its wake as i love the design and look of this cat a lot...thanks
    I have no experience with a MC however I think it is a great motor choice and seeing mid 50's is very feasible. I think you will be fine on a T180 but the 200A will give you more headroom. I have the 1300kv set up in an Apparition that I will be testing come thaw and will also experiment running the 1700. The Apparition is a little bigger/heavier than the MC. Here is a vid (not mine) showing the apparition @ 57mph http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlPka9acXhM

I have no experience with a MC however I think it is a great motor choice and seeing mid 50's is very feasible. I think you will be fine on a T180 but the 200A will give you more headroom. I have the 1300kv set up in an Apparition that I will be testing come thaw and will also experiment running the 1700. The Apparition is a little bigger/heavier than the MC. Here is a vid (not mine) showing the apparition @ 57mph http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlPka9acXhM
    Yes, HK has a couple of 36/74 turnegy motors i am thinking a 1900kv on 5s will put me where i what to be and still won't stress the hull more then it can handle...i consider the apparition,genisis,miss G,and a couple of others for a while,and watched tons of video's,but i liked the MC the best for some reason and it can handle more choppy water i think then the others...It seems extremely stable stock... can't wait to make some mods..to me this is the best part of rc boats i find working on them tweaking and testing very relaxing..i never had cool toys like this when i was a kid,kids today don't know how lucky they are...Thanks for helping me out...keep everyone here posted on your mods...

I never took them apart but I had a turnigy 4082 1600kv and leopard 4082 1550kv side by side. One thing I noticed the magnets in leopard motor were so much more stronger when you could barely spin the shaft on the leopard versus almost free spinning on the turnigy. both were brand new out of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by de-pro View Post
    I never took them apart but I had a turnigy 4082 1600kv and leopard 4082 1550kv side by side. One thing I noticed the magnets in leopard motor were so much more stronger when you could barely spin the shaft on the leopard versus almost free spinning on the turnigy. both were brand new out of the box.
    Prolly different winds

Quote Originally Posted by de-pro View Post
    i wish someone could do a video of those motors running in a boat using same batteries,prop and even a gps installed with a time on each run...the test results would answer a lot of questions that all boat guys could relate to...like power,rpms, how efficiant, temps on all electrical...and possibly durability if it was done over several runs...

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...=leopard+tacon

Leopard 2000kv 4074 vs Tacon 2150 Kv

i wish someone could do a video of those motors running in a boat using same batteries,prop and even a gps installed with a time on each run...the test results would answer a lot of questions that all boat guys could relate to...like power,rpms, how efficiant, temps on all electrical...and possibly durability if it was done over several runs...
    That would be nice but without seeing it I will can tell you the Leopard will do slightly better. Temps may be lower and amp draw may also be slightly lower, I seriously do not think there would be a mile an hour differance if any as there are way too many other factors involved. Heck even the same boat/motor on 3 different runs will give you a different speed on each run. Bigger question is, are you willing to pay the extra $50+ for the difference. This is not medical equipment we are talking about rather toys. If you want the best then stop looking at the Chinese stuff and yes even the Leopard brand is Chinese stuff. All the NEU stuff is several times the price but design and quality control are better, still made in China though. They strive for efficiency and they say they are "up to" 10% more efficient than the competition. Again, are you willing to dish out $100+ for basically similar units. Pricing structure is between the brands all off if you ask me. Should be like this in reality. Turnigy $50, Leopard $75, Neu, $100.

Quote Originally Posted by jamespl View Post
    I have run the 4074 2000kv in my genesis on 4s since dec and it runs a dream. With a x645 prop it doesn't even get warm after a 5-6min run and that's with the timing at 15deg. I can't say if they are as good as the leopards but for the price I will deffo be using them again.
    Awesome! I have same motor on the way and a 645 on hand. Going in a Vegas conversion.

That would be nice but without seeing it I will can tell you the Leopard will do slightly better. Temps may be lower and amp draw may also be slightly lower, I seriously do not think there would be a mile an hour differance if any as there are way too many other factors involved. Heck even the same boat/motor on 3 different runs will give you a different speed on each run. Bigger question is, are you willing to pay the extra $50+ for the difference. This is not medical equipment we are talking about rather toys. If you want the best then stop looking at the Chinese stuff and yes even the Leopard brand is Chinese stuff. All the NEU stuff is several times the price but design and quality control are better, still made in China though. They strive for efficiency and they say they are "up to" 10% more efficient than the competition. Again, are you willing to dish out $100+ for basically similar units. Pricing structure is between the brands all off if you ask me. Should be like this in reality. Turnigy $50, Leopard $75, Neu, $100.
    I totally agree with u on this...Last night i ordered a couple of turnigy motors and some other parts for my MC...My only weak link will be batteries..so i will be careful with my testing...thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast