Thread: Seem to have a lot of play in the flex.

Default Seem to have a lot of play in the flex.

Went our for a run today and when I got home I noticed that as the flex leaves the stinger it wobbles up and down. I've taken the flex out and all that is in the stinger is the bearing at the end and a bit off stuffing tube, it looks like the other bearing is missing but how could I have lost it with the drive dog in place. Just wondering if anyone could have a look at theirs and see if it is the bearing missing that is causing the play. Thanks.
    This is the one that's in the end of the stinger
    http://www.venom-group.com/Store/Kin...anged-EK-P1-SE

When I had to replace my flex cable, I noticed the same thing and thought the other bearing was missing, in MY CASE the replacement cable was slightly longer, it left a longer gap between the drive dog and the bearing at the end. However, since common wisdom is to leave a gap about the same diameter as the cable, I didn't give too much thoughts about it. Although in this case it was about twice the amount. Upon closer inspection I found that the shaft is short, if not pushed all the way in ( leving a very small gap) the front would not be "seated" in the other bearing , that is when I wobble the prop, the shaft will wobble. I cut the cable to the right length and made sure the shaft is seated in the front --you will notice the difference. Also make sure your drive dog is not too far in front, on another boat I had to use a file to open up the flat spot towards the rear, giving the shaft a bit more length, every mm counts. My gap is about two nylon washer's thickness, but using only one washer. Since I don't run a particularly powerful set up I assume the cable should not shrink/tighten up that much, better this than the wobble at high speed.

I think your right. After having a closer look though I thing the ball bearing inside is shot as I found what looks like the inside diameter part of it. I will order one up and try that. Bit annoyed after only 3 runs for that to happen!

I use ball bearings in most of my struts that i make, what happens to these very small bearings with the torque loads that can be put on them is the cage in the bearing breaks up then all the balls come out of the bearing. Most that make their struts using ball bearings fit 2 bearings at the prop end of the strut & 1 at the other end, some including myself fit 2 @ each end of the stut so 4 bearings in total. This is custom struts obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    I use ball bearings in most of my struts that i make, what happens to these very small bearings with the torque loads that can be put on them is the cage in the bearing breaks up then all the balls come out of the bearing. Most that make their struts using ball bearings fit 2 bearings at the prop end of the strut & 1 at the other end, some including myself fit 2 @ each end of the stut so 4 bearings in total. This is custom struts obviously.
    Hi,
    Do you mod the stock stinger with the 4 new bearings ?
    If so, Where do you get the new bearings that fit the stock stinger ?
    Do you have any links or pictures of how to do the mod ?

Thanks for any info.

No i do not have this boat, i was answering on my experience of using ball bearings in stuts in many applications. Struts that i use are all custom made because i prefer ball bearings for reduced friction & occasionally you do get ball bearings break up in the way described.

I think it has just broke up. Changing the strut to take more bearings shouldn't be hard as it seems like it has just a bit of stuffing tube in it the the ball bearing and the final bearing which you can see when you take the flex out. Just a case of cutting the tube down a bit putting a bearing in then the stuffing tube and another bearing.

My stinger just has a bushing in it now,
    When I got the boat it was already modded to a Hughey .187 flex and stuffing tube.
    But the bushing was bad in it.
    Now I am looking for a better mouse trap or bushings.

It seems every day is a school day in this hobby. Got a new ball bearing today and popped it in the end of the stinger and all sorted no Play in the flex at all. Can't wait to take it for a spin.