Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: swordfish plus with data logging

Id bet it's like the old CC controllers. You could do it, but need to solder a bus between the wires near the esc.

The pair of battery inputs must be joined together.
    The esc here have awg6 on both sides 1
    Wayne Schutte PhdCSE BaSE BaEE. Australian, & damn proud of it YOUTUBE
    @ 36" H&M Maritmo twin1512/1800 6S1P 88mph @ 40" drag hydro#1 twin 5692 12S1P .....always for fun @

Quote Originally Posted by Rumdog View Post
    Id bet it's like the old CC controllers. You could do it, but need to solder a bus between the wires near the esc.
    Quote Originally Posted by drwayne View Post
    The pair of battery inputs must be joined together.
    The esc here have awg6 on both sides 1
    can anyone post a picture of this for me?
    thanks
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Will scan manual's wiring diag too as it has pretty colors for the technophobes amongst us...
    meanwhile ..

300.JPG

here's the manual.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by drwayne; 06-29-2012 at 08:55 PM.
    @ 36" H&M Maritmo twin1512/1800 6S1P 88mph @ 40" drag hydro#1 twin 5692 12S1P .....always for fun @

Why did they have to make it so awkward. Not a fan. I'd prefer the new 240. Simple single leads, plus still fully waterproof.(supposedly)

I agree with that but are the new 240's waterproof or water-resistant

Says incased in rubber, making it very water resistant. A good word to use to cover their behinds too.

So what happened to the std SF240HVs here at OSE? Are we going to see them on clearance, or were they actually sold out? I don't need the data logging, but do need a new ESC. Not to get too far off topic, has anyone tried the new Etti 220A HV? I noticed it had 2 pairs of battery leads and 2 sets of motor leads.

The etti 220 Hv is an amazing esc I will take it over a swordy any day but that's just my op I have tried almost every Hv esc out there and they are one of the top on my list

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    Ok so, if i buy one for my big Leo, why does it have two sets of wires?
    to carry more current.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Do you still have to program via Tx with the 220 hv?
    Thats a deal breaker for me. I mean, I can do it, but there are just so many better ways now.

Rum I always program my etti's with radio I think the ettis are the easiest to program via tx I can probably program it quicker or about the same with my tx over my swordy with the programing box

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by drwayne View Post
    Will scan manual's wiring diag too as it has pretty colors for the technophobes amongst us...
    meanwhile ..

300.JPG

here's the manual.
    Ok, so to me it looks like I can use my 5.5mm bullets on all 4 battery connectors and use a jumper wire ( red to red / black to black )
    and have my 8s2p pluged into the esc without any parallel connectors...
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    Ok, so to me it looks like I can use my 5.5mm bullets on all 4 battery connectors and use a jumper wire ( red to red / black to black )
    and have my 8s2p pluged into the esc without any parallel connectors...
    The 'jumper' wire needs to be decent 8AWg same as the esc.. I trimmed 50mm off one lead.. and soldered that ne direct to it's mate. .. see pic above inside large genesis cat for eg.
    I ran 12S1P50C5800 to each esc on maiden in above twin cat.. smooth output ..
    I Hammered it !!! (before sending away to new owner !)
    I know he will be happy with their performance.
    W

So if i want to 2p i solder the 2 leads together and then use a "y" connector on each lead? I cannot use a single battery per lead and get 2p correct? Just want to understand this correctly...

Brushless are you doing this without soldering the leads together? I totally suck with wiring and i am surprised i have gotten this far with some big voltage setups without killing myself lol
    "FE" STANDS FOR FRUSTRATING EXPLOSIONS

Quote Originally Posted by RIPFENCE View Post
    So if i want to 2p i solder the 2 leads together and then use a "y" connector on each lead? I cannot use a single battery per lead and get 2p correct? Just want to understand this correctly...

Brushless are you doing this without soldering the leads together? I totally suck with wiring and i am surprised i have gotten this far with some big voltage setups without killing myself lol
    Both input reds must be hard connected, ditto the 2 blacks.
    To those joins you connect the battery final leads.
    I cut 40mm from one red, and then spliced/soldered it onto the other longer red
    ditto the negatives
    esc+++++++join+
    esc+++++++join++++++++++++[plug to battery]

The manual in pdf I posted above shows this at bottom right of doc.

If you consider your soldering/wiring below average, dont try this yourself..get a competent person to do it for you..the headaches avoided are well worth the slight swallwing of pride for 5 mins ..
    Last edited by drwayne; 06-30-2012 at 10:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RIPFENCE View Post

I'm trying to figure out how to draw something up on my computer to show what I will do..
    but yeah, I will have a bullet on each esc wire and a jumper half way down the wire.. kinda like a H pattern...

H H so kinda like the bullets up on top of the wire, and the bottom goes to the esc if that paints a picture in your head...

Here's a "real time" look at the new 300 since mine arrived today. It's BIG and wonder if some of the length is caps hidden inside the aluminum case. I'm not going to take it apart to see though.

Not real crazy about the wiring layout but will deal with it. They want you to combine the two +'s into a single and the two -'s into another single then branch them back out into a parallel to run to the batts. With them coming out the bottom side of the controller, it's going to make it really tempting to install it label side down as well.

PS, the software is compatible with Win 7 and backwards. I didn't try to load it off the cd as it was quicker to copy the 2 files to my local drive before starting it. Mine didn't find/install the drivers until I plugged the dongle in though. The Y adapter for the dongle was missing in mine, too. Not a big deal since I already had one from the 240.
    Even though the quick start shows powering it with a battery the Y will still work to read and set it up on your pc with no battery attached.

I Just purchased this and I'm trying to figure out what hardware to use to connect these leads and then to the batteries in a clean fashion. Fallowing along.

Quote Originally Posted by pfish View Post
    I Just purchased this and I'm trying to figure out what hardware to use to connect these leads and then to the batteries in a clean fashion. Fallowing along.
    Just spotted your post. I won't swear to it being the correct way but here's what I did. 1st I heated and flattened out the leads from the esc. I had some 6 ga. wire laying around so cut a couple of 2" pieces of it. after tinning the wires with silver bearing solder squeezed them flat as well. Using a pair of vice grips, I sandwiched the single wire between the two from the esc and soldered them together with a 80 watt iron (again using silver bearing solder as it has a higher melting temp than conventional solder). Next step was to install 8mm bullets on the wires with matching 8mm bullets soldered to the 10 ga. wires that will run to the battery packs.
    Keep in mind that the total wire length should not exceed 10" per the manual.

deleted.

burn and learn, people.

Thanks, everyone got it set up and working.

Quote Originally Posted by bill34207 View Post
    (again using silver bearing solder as it has a higher melting temp than conventional solder). .
    Exactly what solder do you use?

Why would you need high temp solder? If the joint is done well as it looks, no extra temp solder needed.

Did you really expect to see the solder joint jump to melting point temps? If so, you have a very poor joint or problems elsewhere.

I know other guys using silver solder, Staybright to be exact and I wonder if they know what they are doing when using such products since they are not made for electronics and can increase electrical resistance...

Not saying you use this type, just letting people knwo what is and is not totally necessary.
    Nortavlag Bulc

I use the Novak brand Ray. It's only 3% silver and has a rosen core for electronics. It has eliminated bullets un soldering themselves in my higher amp applications. As a note, I don't make cold solder joints either. I tend to use a little butane torch for soldering bullets to the wires.
    I do occasionally use the Staybright brand, but that's for the ends of flex cables or if I'm stepping down a stuffing tube.

Good stuff! Pricey but, good solder.

I'd like a 200 W/logging.... no doubt they are B/O !
    Nortavlag Bulc

Here's how I soldered mine, keeping the battery leads as short as possible. Next I will be adding the cap bank.
    I have already run the esc twice (in the boat in my sig). It did pretty well considering it didn't run hot and the first time the prop got caught in a bunch of weed and the second time all the grease from the flex cable had disappeared.

Last edited by drkdgglr; 07-30-2012 at 08:32 AM.

Nice job!

Quote Originally Posted by bill34207 View Post
    I use the Novak brand Ray. It's only 3% silver and has a rosen core for electronics. It has eliminated bullets un soldering themselves in my higher amp applications. As a note, I don't make cold solder joints either. I tend to use a little butane torch for soldering bullets to the wires.
    I do occasionally use the Staybright brand, but that's for the ends of flex cables or if I'm stepping down a stuffing tube.
    does the 60/40 Rosin-Core from Radio Shack work for high amp like this?
    thanks

High amp or low amp it does not matter really as long as you use good amount of solder without overdoing it. Good flux is as or more important than the solder ratio or formula. The 60/40 you have will do. It has it's own flux but, investing in proper good electrical flux is a good idea. I'm about to get a tub of flux like my buddy has even though I use some damn fine solder:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Multicore-5-R...item2570032824

If you are in need of high temp solder because solder joints are melting on esc or elsewhere, there is something else very wrong with your setup or cooling system.
    Last edited by ray schrauwen; 07-30-2012 at 07:25 PM.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12