Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Winmax 50-100c Lipos vs Hyperion 45-90c . Battery testing Review.

Default Winmax 50-100c Lipos vs Hyperion 45-90c . Battery testing Review.

A few months ago I bought a Winmax battery on ebay as it was fairly cheap. When I received it, I found that the resistance in the cells were very low and it performed just as good if not better than my other batteries.(Turnigys and Nanos)

I have just received 2x 4s 4200 Winmax 50-100c lipos from Leaderhobby which I will be testing and comparing against Hyperion's 4s 4200 45-90c packs

Areas of testing will be...

Performance - Top Speed, Voltage Drop.
    Resistance Before use and after 5, 10, 15 cycles etc.
    Run Time
    Cell Balancing

and I will also be using an Eagle Tree Data Logger

Price difference
    Winmax 4s 4200mah 50-100c- $42.83 each
    Hyperion 4s 42000mah 45-90c- $125.95 each

Just going to get my 5.5mm bullets soldered on and then I can check the resistance

Here's how they came

DSC_2012.jpgDSC_2013.jpgDSC_2015.jpgDSC_2016.jpg
    Last edited by Drax21; 03-07-2012 at 03:06 PM.
    Everything that has a beginning, has an End

First thing I always test to see is if the cells are balanced. My battery doctor isn't as accurate as etronix said it was but here are the readings

DSC_2017.jpgDSC_2018.jpg

It would seem Leaderhobby have chosen 3.90 to be the storage charge on their batteries. One battery is spot on but the other has a wandering cell (possible resistance).
    I will see if my I-charger can balance it out.

I checked the resistance of both the winmax and Hyperion batts and the result is interesting.

Here are the Win Max batteries
    DSC_2022.jpgDSC_2023.jpg

and here are the Hyperions
    DSC_2024.jpgDSC_2027.jpg

Clearly the Hyperions have higher resistance. They have had 2 cyclesbut I did check on arrival and one was at 5 all round and the other at 8. Not sure why there is so much difference.
    I will give the WInmax batts a couple of cycles and check again.

The cell that was out on first inspection storage balanced in line with the rest. Both Winmax packs are at 3.85 per cell.

My 4 years experence with Hyperions is they need above 5 cycles to develop low IR.

ALL lipos really need a few cycles to "season" them in to their potential.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

This is interesting - count me in on this information hiway
    Necessity is the mother of invention.............

Youtube Video's http://www.youtube.com/user/Titanis2000

I always cycle Lipos twice upon arrival and sometimes more if the weather changes for the worst.
    I got the chance to run the Winmax batteries today and I was very pleased with performance. Hoping my Eagletree done the job as I have never used one before. Will also get a video or 2 posted.
    It was an eventful day!

I didn't say before but I am running on this set-up:

Cyber Storm 33" Mono
    CC1515 2200kv
    SK180 ESC
    M445
    Last edited by Drax21; 03-25-2012 at 04:47 PM.

Here's a video of the first half of the run with a slightly off angle rudder.

Another video and graph to follow

Corrected the rudder angle but my stinger was a a bit too positive. Watch the 180 smack down. Got some good straight runs though.

The 180 and the wack against the water worked my motor loose..... All the details are in the video captions and the information underneath on youtube.
    Last edited by Drax21; 03-11-2012 at 05:08 PM.

Default Winmax 4s 4200mah 50-100c First Run Results

And here is the Eagle Tree Data Graph.
    I think the main areas are amps and more importantly voltage drop.
    The data show it over 30 minute. You can see the 2 runs on the graph.

Winmax Lipo.jpg

Top Speed - 48MPH (may of been more but my GPS looses signal alot)
    Highest Amps -178
    Run Time - just over 8 Mins Total

I was very pleased with performance and the voltage on the graph looks good. I am new to the software so if there is a better way to display it on a graph let me know.

Will get the Hyperion run in next to see the differences. It will be interesting.
    Last edited by Drax21; 03-08-2012 at 08:28 PM.

This 3s seems like a great value if they are decent quality................shipping price could be an issue though, havent checked it.

http://www.leaderhobby.com/product.asp?ID=9394001224773
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by Make-a-Wake View Post
    This 3s seems like a great value if they are decent quality................shipping price could be an issue though, havent checked it.

http://www.leaderhobby.com/product.asp?ID=9394001224773
    They have a few US warehouses so shipping should be cheap for you. I got mine from the HK warehouse (I think), it was only $28 to the UK although Hobbyking would of done it $4 cheaper for the equal weight.

Weight differences (my measurements)

Hyperion 4s 4200mah 45-90c = 478 grams

Winmax 4s 4200mah 50-100c = 480 grams

Warranty Policies

Hyperion - Warranty Coverage

Hyperion G3 LiPo Packs are guaranteed as follows:
    • Defects in materials and workmanship (solder joints, etc) for one year from date of purchase.
    • Persistent imbalance of one cell of greater than 0.06V compared to average of other cell(s) in the pack. Must be reported within 2 months of date of purchase.

Hyperion G3 Packs are NOT guaranteed for the following:
    • Physical Damage to the pack occurring after purchase (impact, water/moisture/salt, etc)
    • Over-voltage charging, or other error by charger or user setting of charger.
    • Use outside of specifications
    • Damage due to improper storage (very hot locations, fully charged storage, etc)
    • Short circuit
    • Improper balance connections to charger
    • Returns without copy of Original Receipt
    • Returns without accompanying note stating the reason for return.

Note that a pack in which ALL cells have "ballooned" will not qualify for free warranty replacement. Given a cell failure rate of less than 1/1000, it is statistically impossible that all cells in a pack will balloon together while being properly used and maintained. In virtually all such cases, the problem can be identified over-capacity discharge, radical over-current discharge, improper storage, or charge voltage in excess of 4.205V/cell. In such cases, the Crash Replacement Policy is available to you. If you have experienced this problem, you will need to troubleshoot your charger and power system to determine the cause, so it does not happen again.

Your selling dealer is your first point of contact for warranty issues. Please contact your dealer for advice BEFORE returning any item. In many cases your dealer can help you solve a problem without return. Return postage is the responsibility of the user in all cases.

You MUST Submit a copy of original, dated receipt, and explanation of the problem with the return. Returned units should be examined by the Hyperion dealer’s tech department within 10 days of arrival, and contact made with the user to explain the findings.

Crash Replacement Policy

If you have damaged your Lipo pack for any reason which is NOT covered by free warranty replacement (i.e due to crash, water damage, etc), and within the first year after original purchase, your nearest Hyperion Regional Distributor can exchange your pack for a brand new one of the same type (or lesser value pack), at 40% discount from original Hyperion suggested retail price for the replacement pack, plus return shipping.

• The Pack must be fully discharged before shipping to the Distributor.
    • The Return pack must have the original dated receipt (or email confirmation of sale date from original dealer)
    • Include the following in a letter, enclosed with your return package:

FULL NAME
    SHIPPING ADDRESS
    TEL#
    EMAIL ADDRESS
    DESIRED REPLACEMENT PACK
    METHOD of PAYMENT (Paypal email address, or Credit Card details)

(for Hong Kong resident's Crash Replacement service, email Hyperion HK Ltd. for return address info.)

Leaderhobby Winmax Warranty-

Same as Hobbyking. If battery is proven defective or is puffed upon arrival then evidence (pictures) must be sent to them via email and you may have to send the battery back.
    The website isn't clear on this.

With Hyperion you are not only paying for the battery but a quality after service as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Drax21 View Post
    I am new to the software so if there is a better way to display it on a graph let me know.
    If you click top left of the first run and drag to bottom right of the same run it will zoom in. To go back click anywhere on the left side and drag off the screen. It will also recalculate min max avg for what's displayed.

Quote Originally Posted by oscarel View Post
    If you click top left of the first run and drag to bottom right of the same run it will zoom in. To go back click anywhere on the left side and drag off the screen. It will also recalculate min max avg for what's displayed.
    Also you can change the colors.

Screen shot 2012-03-15 at 7.03.02 AM.jpg Screen shot 2012-03-15 at 7.08.55 AM.jpg
    Last edited by oscarel; 03-15-2012 at 08:23 AM.

Thanks for the help Oscarel. Will put that into practice after the next run. Just waiting for some decent weather....

And now for Hyperion
    It was a very windy day and the water got quite choppy at times so that would be the main reason for low top speed. Batteries performed well though. Graph and details to follow
    Here's the vids of the run (keep your volume down as the wind is loud!!)

Default Hyperion Run Results

Here is the Eagletree Graph.
    This time the voltage is a lot clearer (thanks for tips). Comparing against Winmax, It's not very clear, as my first graph was a bit all over the place but the batteries seem to come down in voltage in a similar manner. I tried clearing up the first graph but the software doesn't like it....

Graph:

Hyperion Lipo.jpg

Top Speed : 40.3MPH (Choppy Water) Not comparable to Winmax run
    Highest Amps: 170.34
    Run time: Just Under 10 mins ( Since water condition were not the same I couldn't use the throttle in the same way, and this could effect the time)
    Temp on batteries: 27 degrees (after 10 mins)

Things to say about Hyperion:
    Very fast charge time. Charged these batteries at 5.2amps- done in under 25mins each. All cells ended at 4.20
    The voltage displayed between the 2 graphs show that the performance is very similar.
    If the water had been calmer then I think the Hyperion would of achieved the same Max Speed as the Winmax lipos did.
    Last edited by Drax21; 04-21-2012 at 09:23 AM.

So tim did you ever do any more testing I am curious to see how this one turned out

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisg81983 View Post
    So tim did you ever do any more testing I am curious to see how this one turned out
    More testing to come. I will be going out with the boat again tomorrow. I will check the resistance after 5 cycles on each of the batteries.
    Winmax needs one more run to equal 5. I cycled the batteries 3 times with my charger and I have gave them a run through once and brought them back up to 3.85 per cell.
    Will charge them up tonight.

Does anyone know how long the Eagletree can record data for? 30 min?
    I think I should have enough time on the recorder to do both sets of batteries on the same day.

Well, I haven't been out with the boat as work has took first place but I will soon. I can give you the resistance of the Hyperions and the Winmax batteries now at storage value.

I just popped over onto Leaderhobby.com to see what stock they had on the 4s 5200mah 50-100c batteries. The are OUT OF STOCK. So are the 4200mah versions!!
    Since stock numbers were high before I can only think that people were happy with what they saw on here and they bought them.
    Please post in this forum if my review influenced your purchase.
    Thanks More info to come soon
    Last edited by Drax21; 03-31-2012 at 09:26 AM.

Default Resistance

WinMax Batteries 5 cycles
    No 1- 3 2 5 4 = 14
    No 2- 2 2 5 4 = 13

Hyperion Batteries 4 Cycles

No 1- 6 6 10 7 = 29
    No 2- 8 8 9 10 = 35

Nano-Techs 7 Cycles

No 1- 4 4 7 6 = 21
    No 2- 5 4 6 7 = 22

If someone has another charger that reads IR. The IR of a Gens Ace battery would be of interest to me. Just post it on here
    Last edited by Drax21; 05-02-2012 at 07:21 PM.

Default Charge Time At 1C

I think most battery users want their Lipos to charge fast. Hyperion claim that they have quick charge batteries. Here's just a little bit of information on the charge times and problems I faced while charging. All batteries will be charged at 1C for this test.

I have just balance charged both Winmax batteries on a I-Charger

Winmax 1st- 4.19 4.20 4.20 4.20 = This was the original problem battery I received. I noticed the 1st cell was slow to charge from the beginning. Took 1 hour 14mins!

WInmax 2nd 4.20 4.20 4.20 4.20 = This would be a perfect condition Winmax battery. Cells charged equally. Still may be a long time though at 42 mimutes

The cell with the highest resistance in the 1st Winmax battery was also the one that did not balance charge equally.

Now I will charge up the Hyperions. They have higher resistance than the Winmax Series but seem to charge faster.

Hyperion

Hyperion 1st- 4.20 4.20 4.20 4.20 = Took 32mins

Hyperion 2nd- 4.20 4.20 4.20 4.20= Took 34mins

This proves that Hyperion cells charge faster even with higher resistance. Confusing eh?

Hope to have a run on both sets of batteries tomorrow. Propping up to a M645 this time.

Dang, I love these threads with side by side runs!
    Good job man..
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

hi Drax

I bought 4 x 5s 40-80c 4200mah and ran it in my epv135 with 2 x 10s...these lipo's are pretty powerful, here is my video
    Stiletto tunnel,EPV135 (53") twin cat, CT06"Spirit of Qatar", FD 47" mono, Twin Mini Cat 23.5"

Quote Originally Posted by Mel279 View Post
    hi Drax

I bought 4 x 5s 40-80c 4200mah and ran it in my epv135 with 2 x 10s...these lipo's are pretty powerful, here is my video
    Wow that is a nice running boat you got there! They definitely give the 40c. Are you happy with the Lipos?

Yes Im happy with it, will be getting the 50c-100c next time
    Stiletto tunnel,EPV135 (53") twin cat, CT06"Spirit of Qatar", FD 47" mono, Twin Mini Cat 23.5"

Quote Originally Posted by Mel279 View Post
    Yes Im happy with it, will be getting the 50c-100c next time
    I have been told there should be more in stock soon

Quote Originally Posted by Drax21 View Post
    I have been told there should be more in stock soon
    I was thinking of getting them, since it's out of stock so I just bought the 40c

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast